Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Google at bottom...

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2004, 07:08 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missed my voting opportunity on the top or bottom Google debate earlier today. Have to say that 'bottom' would have got my vote - assuming that there was no economical alternative meaning you had to have the Google ad - however, now that's it's live I have to say the 'bottom' is absolutely dreadful.

Now every time I want to read the latest addition to a post I am faced with seeing the dreaded advert and there’s no escaping it. This simply has to be the worst of all the option’s that were available. If it was at the bottom in it's own footer then fine, but not as part of the post.

Does anyone agree or does anyone actually like the banner being taking the place of the most recent post?

(I do agree that the site needs funding and have nothing against advertising – I earn my living from online media – however it has to implemented with care and sympathy for its surrounding.)
Old 23 January 2004, 07:18 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jmk

Please, please, please. Can we just calm down, and see how it goes for a few days?

You now, no longer need to scroll any further. It is not in the middle of the thread, and it can't possibly slow down the loading of the thread content as it happens after it all.

Surely we've done absolutely everying in our power to make this trial as painless as possible. Is it REALLY that hard to ignore them if you don't like them?

It would mean a lot to me if you would just try.

All the best

Simon
Old 23 January 2004, 07:30 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Simon,

Not my intention to pi$$ you off. Just read your other post - missed it before - will take it on board.

Old 23 January 2004, 07:35 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

jmk

Thank you SO much! I genuinely appreciate it. It takes a lot of guts to back down, and I promise I will take note of your suggestions and feedback.

All the best

Simon
Old 23 January 2004, 07:47 PM
Davie
Scooby Regular

Simon, just like to say also, i was one of the "Complainers" and i would like to say that having it at the bottom is much better than at every third post or whatever.

Hope the trial goes well.
Old 23 January 2004, 08:02 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Thank you Davie

All the best

Simon
Old 23 January 2004, 08:16 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry Simon, but bottom of the page is absolutely the worst place for these ads.

The last post dictates the direction of the thread - a spam post just distracts from it, and means you can never escape from it if you re-click the thread.

I'm not a big fan of these things, but the bottom of the page is *not* the answer. Have a re-think mate, or return to the original plan, if they have to be there at all.

Tel

[Edited by TelBoy - 1/23/2004 8:27:32 PM]
Old 23 January 2004, 08:24 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

It's a lot better, IMHO. And having it in a smaller font than a "proper" post makes it easier to ignore -- it just looks like footer stuff to me. When it was in the middle it used to break up the thread.
Old 23 January 2004, 08:40 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think they're better at the bottom. NO performance decrease. Looks better, doesn't interrupt the thread and (I would guess with a bit of tweaking) has better content on which to base the adverts.

DEFINITELY an improvement.
Old 23 January 2004, 09:00 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Simon,

Another suggestion just ocurred to me.... Since you are considering using Vbulletin you should check out the "Similar Thread" function that will be included on Version 3 final release. Maybe you could wire your ads into this functionality so that you get a mixture of informational links as well as promotional/advertising links at the bottom of each thread.

For example check out this thread that shows automatic related links down the bottom. If you had advertising threads within the forums it would pick up those as well as informational user posted threads. The layout also works quite nicely without interrupting the flow of the threads.
Old 23 January 2004, 11:25 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Much better at the bottom.
Old 24 January 2004, 12:05 AM
donutman
Scooby Regular

to be honest it don't make any difference to me. page loads just as fast,and i just get a grey empty box say google to the left