ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

EU import.. quick question

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2004, 06:45 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
whats that cirtifiate you need to get 3 year warranty with IM

cirtificate of conformaty.. or is it called something else?

Cyprus cars can't have one can it? not in the EU!?
Old 23 January 2004, 06:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

EU certificate of conformity
(have you not tried that site ive put on the wanted add?)

Tony
Old 23 January 2004, 06:53 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Just looking now Tony.. thanks... the STI RA 52 plate looks awesome.. £19995!!!!! ... bit moe than i want to pay.. plus don't like those wheels.

Phil
Old 23 January 2004, 06:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

He should be in tomorrow, call him before 11.30 and he may be able to get you a uk car at a very good price (new!)

Tony

Old 23 January 2004, 07:22 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

tony.. i've Emailed him about the STi RA at £19995!!!
Old 23 January 2004, 08:08 PM
dumpling
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will also need the bill of sale form the dealer in the EU
or IM wont have **** all to do with you
Old 24 January 2004, 12:15 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

from what i can tell.. the car is from motorpoint at Derby!!
and I know they do Cypriot cars... but how can you tell???

The guy selling his MY03 (is on auto trader) at £16k! says he has a certificat of comformaty!!

Phil
Old 24 January 2004, 07:26 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Phil,
IM only give a 3 year warranty on vehicles supplied by them.
The Pan European warranty, that all manufactures that supply vehicles within the EU give, (and is covered by IM in the UK) is only for the first 12 months.

You do not get a IM backed warranty for 3 years on a EU imported car.
This point was recently confirmed by my local Subaru dealer.
The owners son confirmed the fact.

If Motorpoint, for example, are offering a 3 year warranty, then it will be via a third party, for years 2 & 3, and by IM (Subaru dealers) for the first 12 months.
The Subaru dealers may well be willing to fix the car in the event of a claim, during years 2 & 3.
BUT will only work on it if either you or the warranty company agree to pay them.!!!

Cheers
MTR
Old 24 January 2004, 08:27 PM
dumpling
Scooby Regular

EU supplied car will have a full 3 year warranty 6 year anti corrosion warranty from subaru benelux who are english speaking, if you register the car with IM (EDITED) then any UK subaru dealer (EDITED) will be autherised to do any warranty work under autherisation from subaru benelux

first year warranty in both cases EU or UK is the manufacturer (subaru) 2'nd and 3'rd is supported by the importer either IM or BENELUX benelux being the more approachable, polite, helpfull unlike the awkward *******s here in the uk

Edited by moderator

[Edited by dumpling - 1/24/2004 8:32:09 PM]

[Edited by sasim - 1/24/2004 9:58:50 PM]
Old 24 January 2004, 09:51 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

so the cypiot import might not be so much of a bad buy then.. at the right price?
Old 24 January 2004, 10:00 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
i thought EU law now dictates that the manufacturer has to provide 2 years waranty and most manufacturers now provide 3 years waranty, without any need for IM or the other importers to arange cover.
Old 24 January 2004, 10:02 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Dumpling, your above post has been edited by me because there is absolutely no need to use that type of language. You could have easily got your point of view across without the insults.
Old 24 January 2004, 11:09 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Smile

John,

You are correct. From Sept (I think) 2001 all EU cars have to come with a 2 year manufacturers warranty. I believe to save any confusion Subaru cover 3 years for all EU cars. You still need to register the car with IM when it enters the UK for IM to carry out any warranty work.

Phil,
Cars imported from Cyprus are not EU cars and thus are not covered by EU law. Any car imported from Cyprus will have a one year manufacturers warranty that will be a pain to make a claim, any second and third year warranty will be some sort of insurance scheme warranty offered by the garage or third party. These third party / insurance warranties can be very iffy especially if mods are involved.

There is nothing wrong with buying a Cyprus import it just has to be at the right price. A brand new EU import is only £16500 with a couple of hundred quid on the road costs. For a low milage, second hand, Cyprus, MY03 WRX I wouldn't pay anymore than £14500.

Cheers
Lee
Old 24 January 2004, 11:23 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Dumpling,
I hadn't heard of Benelux, but as your post appears to confirm, any warranty work carried out by a UK Subaru dealer will only take place when Benelux (the third party) sanction such action.
Which pretty well confirms what I believed to be the case.

Phil,
It would obviously need to be taken into consideration when buying a new car, that any approvals may/could take longer, or be more difficult to get, prior to any work being carried out, due to the need to request the third party (Do Benelux have a representitive in the UK or are they all based abroad?) to authorise the work.
I didn't believe Cyprus was classed as part of the EU, at least not yet. If that is still the case then a Cyprus sourced car won't carry any EU sanctioned warranty, or will it?
Talk to your local Subaru dealer.
After all at the end of the day they will be your first port of call in the event of you requiring warranty work carrying out.
Irrespective of what any of us on here think, they will tell you what they are, or are not, willing to do.

John,
You may well be correct with the EU ruling on warranties, but would that cover a vehicle manufactured in Japan and sold within Europe? or does it only apply to goods made by companies within the EU?
I wouldn't have thought that a EU law can force anon EU country, in this case Japan to give a specified warranty period, above thir normal one. Unles of course the EU makes it law that to sell within the EU the product must carry 2 yrs or whatever warranty?
Personally I have had no direct involvement in these things, so don't know for definate, but either way, it pays to be somewhat circumspect about these issues, and get reliable (written?) confirmation from relevent parties (IM)before parting with ones money.

Cheers
MTR
Old 24 January 2004, 11:28 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Logiclee,
I was typing as you were posting, so hadn't read your comments on EU waranties and Subaru.
I type slow.
I just talk fast.

Cheers
MTR
Old 24 January 2004, 11:35 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Wink

No probs mate.

I've talked to you at Donnington so I know your words per minute rate is not in question.

Unfortuntatly I think the last time I met you was when you stuffed the scoob into the tyre wall.

Lee
Old 24 January 2004, 11:52 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Cool

Lee... ssssshhhhh.. don't mention the Tyre Wall!!! brings back bad memories 4 me!!! .. ps Martin does talk v fast and with that nothern twang.. very very hard to follow!!! lol

Martin
I spoke to Heritage Subaru of Leicester this afternoon (spoke to Simon there) he said.. yes they can carry out the Cyprus warranty work (1 year warranty tho) BUT its a paper chase excersise.. getting in touch with Cyprus.. getting it sanctioned etc etc etc... they said it can take at lest 3 weeks to get the written YES to get on with the warrranty work!
apparently a lot of ppl are going to them after buying cars from MotorPoint.. they will service the car.. but if prblems arrise.. thats when the ££££ savings can look less attractive!
ps.. Heritage offered me a BRAND nu WRX3 £18300!!!!

Phil