WRX Import SVA Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2000, 11:32 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi,

I have a brand new WRX sitting in my garage. I went to fill out the SVA application form when I got to a bit I wasnt sure about. So I rang the boys'n'girls in Swansea to ask a question and the first thing they asked was what car is it. I told them, they put me on hold and proceed to me they have exceed the 50 WRX being SVA this year !

I am now ****ting myself

Anybody know anything about this ?

Failing that, anyone want a brand new WRX (less road tax and registration plates )

Bkar
Old 06 June 2000, 06:06 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Hi

The Very Low Volume quota sounds like its been used up then. Now you will need to do it as a personal import instead. Email me and I'll try to explain. Which country did you bring it in from? You have invoices etc to support this?

Tim
Old 06 June 2000, 09:54 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Angry

Don't do this to me!

I have a WRX due to be delivered in a few weeks - the importer is getting it passed the SVA, but I don't know if they've got passed this problem.

Tim, could you put the details on the board?

Bright, did you get yours through an importer? (hom much?)
Old 06 June 2000, 11:25 AM
ianlove
Scooby Regular

the rules are changing but I believe the 50 rule was for dealers and that if you personally import you are ok. But you must import through Holland or Ireland. You can not have the car delivered straight here.
If you want the name of someone who is involved with the paperwork e-mail me.
Ian
Old 06 June 2000, 01:17 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

As the VLV places are used up, you need to go the personal import route. Get the car converted to pass SVA test ie speedo conversion, fuel filler etc. All that stuff. You will need to go on a day trip to France to get round the personal import part. To qualify as a personal import the car has to have been owned and used abroad. It doesn't specify where though (yet). Find someone with trade plates who will take you to France. Keep all your ticket stuff, get your passport stamped on the French side, buy beer, get receipts for everything. Most important is to take photo's of you and the car together by things that are obviously in France. Road signs for Calais etc. This shows you have used the car abroad whilst owning it. You need all this to submit for the SVA place as a personal import. get the test done, then apply for a registration number on form V5/55. You should then be on the road shortly after. It is all a pain in the **** but the money you save....

Tim
Old 06 June 2000, 06:25 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Especially Tim.

For reference I have the MPG speedo done, fog as well the fuel restrictor. I had it through Europe but not EU and I picked it up directly.

Tim's idea about France is brilliant as I dont live far from the port. Just need to find someone with Trade plates now .

This all mad coz I have the car in my garage. I can sit in it in the garage like a sad puppy.

The rules about 50 are still in place even though they were supposed to have changed in March.

Triggaaar - hope you wont have the problems Ive got. Hopefully you dont pay the dealer if you dont get it registered.

Bkar
Old 06 June 2000, 06:34 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You could be in trouble here..I made the mistake of bringing the car in from japan directly.
You have to export the car (ie: be in japan to buy it) and import it (to the UK)to qualify for a personal import. Just going to France and back won't help, you'll need a receipt for the car from a dealer in France (or anywhere in europe). The criteria at DVLA says the info produced must be indisputable, they are very cute these days.

i got the very last SVA test (50 of 50), by pure luck, someone had cancelled. Car passed and I got it registered.

If all else fails a guy called Terry fidler runs a company called funseeker.com, Rich B (you there rich ??)used him and he may be able to help 'bend the rules'.

mail me offline if you want more info on this route..I know it cos I nearly took it..

Old 06 June 2000, 07:13 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dear Mr Kar
Email me at home with your number and I'll call you and you can ask away. You should be able to get it SVA'd OK with French proof. I brought an EVO in (yeah yeah boo hiss) this year and provided proof from my own trip to France even though the car was brought in from Japan to Southampton. It is a hassle but it's far easier than going to Japan. I also have the phone number of the bloke who took me to France on his trade plates.
Old 07 June 2000, 09:24 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Showtime, Hows the car?

Bkar,
Yep, Terry should be able to sort you out. He has a 'French Connection' and sort out your 'virtual' trip to france
Feel free to give me a e-mail if you want more info.

PS: Terrys surname seem so apt...

[This message has been edited by RichB (edited 07-06-2000).]
Old 07 June 2000, 10:04 AM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey, Rich..good to hear from you, Knew you'd see this thread..makes you smile to see other people going thru the same hell as we did, seems irrelevant now though. Car's great, just serviced and running great..air-cons great this time of year is it not..

Fear not Bkar..you have found the help you needed..you will get your car on the road and shall go to the ball. reassuring this bbs sometimes innit
Old 07 June 2000, 10:17 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My thanks too for all the advice.

I may need a little more specific help though. My WRX is currently on its way from Cyprus (Europe, but not EU). It is from a dealer there. It will need an SVA, but I don't know what rules apply re it being in the EU at some point.

Does it still need to be in France?
Old 07 June 2000, 02:20 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

A friend of mine has a black evo that was imported by a dealer and it too is unable to be sva'd due to restricted numbers reaching the limit. The dealer is taking it to Germany for their version of the sva. I think they call it the TUV???
Stu
Old 07 June 2000, 02:21 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

A friend of mine has a black evo that was imported by a dealer and it too is unable to be sva'd due to restricted numbers reaching the limit. The dealer is taking it to Germany for their version of the sva. I think they call it the TUV???
Stu
Old 07 June 2000, 06:48 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Triggaaar,

Cyprus is not EU. It will require SVA testing. Sorry.

Its possible that the dealer already has the SVA test booked - but unlikely. Ask them.

Are they selling you a car with registration included ?

Out of interest how much did you pay for it ?

Tim, Im trying a few things but will email you. Thanks. How long ago did you get your SVA done Tim ?

I have also heard that you can get the card SVAed in Germany and Holland. This actually came from the SVA people themself as well as local garage that sells foreign cars.

PS. my email is bkar@talk21.com

Great feedback all you guys.

Bkar

Old 07 June 2000, 07:13 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

BKar..currently going through VLV route for car for the girlfriend which means SVA but not personal import (like you tried to do). The car we have bought has not had all the VLV places used up so we do not need to provide all the use overseas proof that you will have to. Applied for the SVA on the recent bank holiday Monday and today rang to make a date for the test. Its being tested next Monday (12/6/00) which means I have only had to wait 2 wks for the SVA The EVO was a similar short wait. It all depends where you apply to. Ring round and ask what the waiting time is. I use/used Leighton Buzzard as it's close to me.
You are correct that you can get it SVA'd abroad, but also the German TUV people come here to carry out tests too but it works out really dear price wise and there is a ~ 6 week wait when I asked about it.

Tim
Old 08 June 2000, 08:56 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Trig,
The government has/had a good website on SVA rules and regs. It doesn't appear to be working too well at the moment but if you go to
Old 08 June 2000, 10:07 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Bright,

You said:
Cyprus is not EU. It will require SVA testing. Sorry.

I know - that's exactly what I said.

What I'm wondering, is whether it has to pop to the EU (petrol, picture etc) to count as a personal import. My importer has just told me that an SVA has been pre-booked, (they are selling it to me with reg included) but they haven't got all other details right so far, so I'll wait. If they can't get the SVA done, I still want the car - I'll just have more work to do.

Cost me 19k without alarm, which I think is an absolute bargain - if yours is more I wouldn't worry, should be a great car. How much was yours?

RichB - thanks - hopefully I won't have to do a thing, but if I do, I'll know where to go.