Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY03 JDM STI vs MY03 UK STI & PPP

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2004, 11:49 AM
Mr Merciless
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the JDM version has 310 bhp and comes with the switchable diff and the twin scroll turbo as standard.

I could get an import for the same value as a standard STI uk without ppp so which should I go for?

Also is a UK STI with ppp still not as good as the JDM STI?
Old 18 January 2004, 11:58 AM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Talking

Down to what you think and prefer. Threads like this normally go.
Import owners - better spec and faster.
UK owners- More reliable and easier to get serviced.
Then it turns into a my cars better than youy car slanging match.
Old 18 January 2004, 11:58 AM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

imho jdm is much better spec, it depends if you are a warranty person, as unless you pay over the odds, you wont be getting a warranty on ur jdm sti. They are supposed to be 310bhp out of the box but i would say more like 280, but can easily be made up to 320ish as standard with a remap. The dccda is not a standard option its an optional extra, depending on which model you get, i beleive the gl has all options as standard, and imho is most definately better car than a uk sti ppp, some people might argue however im basing it on the spec. better turbo, better pistons and crank, better fuel system, bbs wheels, dccda, rear windscreen wiper, better gauges, hid lights, tints, 13.1 steering, lsd and so on, probably more. I have a jdm sti my03, different options but i still love it, not putting down a uk car at all btw, they are good it all depends what you want at the end of it

Old 18 January 2004, 12:03 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jason,
Alot of the items you have shown (ie the dccd-a, 13.1 quick rack) are optional extras on the JDM cars, however they are better spec'd than the uk cars and with 310bhp out of the box over 265ps for the uk cars they are better value for money.
The downside will be that people may not want to purchase these cars 3 years down the road and may want the subaru uk car for the reasons that you have stated above. (ive just purchased a JDM car myself over a uk car because i wanted something you couldnt get in the uk).

Tony
Old 18 January 2004, 12:15 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

i did say say it depends on which model you get ie, the gl will have full options, however the el will not have any, however you can still add dccda or hid lights and so on as an optional extra, hope that explains it better
Old 18 January 2004, 12:23 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Question

But how do the JDM STi and STi ppp compare?
Old 18 January 2004, 12:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the engines in the JDM cars are more advanced and use stronger components (uprated pistons to start with plus the twin scroll turbo) so you have an advantage there, the PPP on the other hand makes the best use of the UKSTi so it removes some of the advantage over the JDM car, but then 5th and 6th gear on the JDM car are slightly lower so you get better performance over the UK Car... lots of ifs and buts, mainly you will have the likes of climate control in a JDM car, not in the uk one, you will still have a large list of optional extras like the dccd-a on the GL model (a change from a suretrack to mechanical diff) and they are higher spec'd... you want to check out www.japanvehicles.com (i think thats right) as this should have a spec list.

Tony

[Edited by TonyBurns - 1/18/2004 12:33:08 PM]