Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mapping

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2004, 07:47 PM
sharp76
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone give me a rough price to remap my 98 sti type r, im away to put on a down pipe, it also has a mid section and back box, fitted a knock link last weekend and its showing orange lights at high revs so been advised to get it remapped??

Old 16 January 2004, 11:51 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Hey Sharp I have the exact same car and the only true way I have been told to get the car running properly is to fit a Gems engine management with remap. It will also give you dual fuel maps, anti lag and a reliable addition in power and torque. Also if your car has a center thumb wheel diff then we can also get that mapped as an active diff have a look at the second group buy for Gems thread. Might be of interest to you. The Gems system Ecu for your car works around £1100 and for the diff if bought with the ECU another £400 all plus the Vat and if you want the mapper Steve Simpson to come to you he charges a milegae charge to get to you.
Old 17 January 2004, 07:08 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or of course you could just get a remap of the existing ecu for about half of the above. Not totally sure which MY you have but ecutek 3 could well work on it for about £700..
Old 17 January 2004, 07:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

You could try the cheapest option of all and add octane booster to the optimax/super unleaded you should already be running?

Tony
Old 17 January 2004, 08:01 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Not totally sure which MY you have
The fact that he says it's an STi4 and a '98 car is a bit of a giveaway.

but ecutek 3 could well work on it for about £700
If you could TeK an MY98, I daresay someone would already have mentioned it.
Old 17 January 2004, 08:05 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Well from what Franko. (Bob rawles partner) told me the Tek 3 isnt dveloped for the 98 STi Type r Jap import because it only has a three plug ECU. So you would need to check with BR developements if you can do that. Also the original ECU to my knowledge cant be remapped in our version of cars. because its a three plug ECU. Now all this information has been told to me and thats why I started to go down the GEMS engine managemnt route. There is a few threads on ehre in the past that mentioned our types of cars are the worst to remap sort out as they are the only versions to have a three plug ECU.

Octane booster is a good thing to add in anycase as it will elliminate some of the knock although a proper engine remap and correct fueling is the only safe way to keep the engine healthy and gain some very useful power.
Old 17 January 2004, 08:07 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
He said it was an MY98 ... do ECUtek work on these? Outside the ScoobyECU range at the moment, so looks like a Link, Motec, Gems, Autronic or similar after market ECU.
Old 17 January 2004, 08:08 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Rats too slow!!
Old 17 January 2004, 08:09 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

LOL Vul just beat you lol. could be the GEms powered PC lol
Old 17 January 2004, 08:31 PM
mef
Scooby Regular

I have an Sti4 3 plug ecu for sale, special one, modified in Japan by tuning company called "PROVA", gives increased boost whilst correcting fuelling and ignition accordingly. Worked well on my car before I went for a GEMS. see www.prova.co.jp

E-mail me if you're interested,

Martin
Old 17 January 2004, 11:09 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

the number of plugs doesnt tell you the ECU, the MY99/00 has 3 plugs too.

You cant EcuTek anything prior to an MY99, so if you want to get a remap then you can use any of the well known after market ECU's.

The statement "the only true way I have been told to get the car running properly is to fit a Gems engine management with remap" is incorrect, a Link ECU will provide you with an engine that runs properly, as will all the other after market ECU's. What matters is how they are mapped and that boils down to who does that for you.

You can also run these engines safely on SUL without a remap if you use the correct amount of Octane Booster, although once you decat them you should get a remap as you introduce some major det/boost spikes. What a remap will give you is a smooth power delivery and an increase in torque with the added benefit of being safe to run on plain SUL or Optimax.
Old 17 January 2004, 11:14 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Just to add, you need to corelate the knocklink to real det by using a set of det cans, knocklinks can pick up mechanical engine noise, especially in the high rpm ranges seen in STi engines, so you need to get someone to listen to the engine with det cans and then tune the knocklink so you are ignoring the normal noise for it to be the most useful tool to you.
Old 18 January 2004, 12:25 AM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Well thats certainly sound more like good advice now. When i mentioned that statement about GEMS I was talking about upgrade ECU`s. in General just couldnt remember what else was on the market for our cars. Which Upgrade ECu do you prefer John.
Old 18 January 2004, 03:49 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I dont have a preference for ECU's, they should all work pretty well for a normal road car, stick with the well known brands like Link, GEMS, Motec etc and you shouldnt have problems, some have more functionality than others of course, but these may not be needed in a road car aplication. I do have a preference for engine mappers, Bob Rawle remapped my car and has it running very cleanly.

My own car is remapped using EcuTek as it's an MY99 STi5 engine.
Old 18 January 2004, 04:13 PM
sharp76
Scooby Regular

Ok lads a few things to think about here, aint keen on spending all that money if it doesnt really need it, running on optimax+booster, am getting knock on high revs,6500+ so not sure if it is actually detting or just engine noise as john says, what are det cans?? heard of them but aint got a scooby wot they are??
Old 18 January 2004, 04:28 PM
mef
Scooby Regular

A knock sensor feeding an audio amplifier feeding a pair of headphones.
Old 18 January 2004, 04:30 PM
mef
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say, a knock sensor is just a special microphone whos frequency response is designed to be suitable for detecting knocking (ie poor low freq response).
Old 18 January 2004, 04:42 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Owen Developments mapped Unichip, 550ish notes fitted and mapped.
Old 18 January 2004, 05:25 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Det cans are just a piece of hardware you can use to listen to the engine without all the noise asociated with driving a car, they allow you to pick up the tell tale noises asociated with engine det. There are two types in common use, electronic or pipe based. The pipe based are just a set of headphones fed by a large bore piece of pipe that connects to a copper tube that is flattened and bolted to the engine, so any sound is transmitted up the pipe to your ears. The electronic type use a sensor and amplifier and a set of speakers in the headphones.
Old 18 January 2004, 07:20 PM
===WRX===
Scooby Regular

Apexi PowerFC....awsome buy..i love mine to bits..£700 bargin
Old 18 January 2004, 07:45 PM
sharp76
Scooby Regular

cheers lads will keep that in mind, so your saying that maybe my knock link is picking up more engine noise that actual det as such?
will have to find someone up here with det cans and find out for sure wot my engine is exactly doing.
Old 18 January 2004, 09:38 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Until you know what it is you should treat is as a real det indication. It's not unusual for the knocklink to show some amber at the top of the rev range when set to full sensitivity on an STi engine, it's unusual on a UK turbo as they dont rev as high. If you are getting any spikes or big reds then you most likely do have some det there.