Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering A Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2004, 07:58 PM
jezyg
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am for the third time considering getting a Scooby. I currently drive a BMW 318i SE which I do love but is not exactly fast or fun.

So what can I expect to pay for a brand new WRX?

Any ideas on finance cost's/examples?

mpg?
miles from a tank?
cost to fill a tank?

Any good dealers that I can get a good deal from?

Interior quality and is the stereo OK as I am a bit worrried about it only having 4 speakers.

I do know a little about the Scooby from people on seatcupra.net and bmwland but thought this is the best place to get unbiased information.

Many Thanks

Jeremy

[Edited by jezyg - 1/14/2004 7:59:03 PM]
Old 14 January 2004, 08:18 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mpg will be 18-22 depending how you drive, with up to 30 on a long run.
My MY99 has 4 speaker + two tweeters in the front, so i assume an MY04 will probably have a similar setup.
Thats about all i can say really

Welcome!
Old 14 January 2004, 08:54 PM
Roblad
Scooby Regular

Have driven a scooby for last 6 years (160,000miles)

My cars have always had zero toys e.g. no aircon etc.
But this is more than made up for in performance, handling and driving experience.

In my experience they are an ultra reliable, fast and very safe car which is very rewarding to drive.

After a turbo powered car, nothing comes close (ask anyone who has ever owned a saab turbo).

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 14 January 2004, 09:01 PM
Phil Herrup
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Jezyz and welcome

Unbiased opinion? Are you mad? We're mainly scooby nutters here!

I have WRX 03 (decatted) - mpg is c.26 (inc town/spirited driving)

I have had well above 30 mpg too but wouldn't want to admit that on this forum. D'oh!

Watch out. Standard car is great until to try PPP or decat. Unfortunatley there is no going back (until the money runs out).

Pick up is very smooth and much quicker than you think. And the exhaust cries out to be heard.

I don't know any car enthusiast who gives a 318 another look - Scoobs are in a different league.
Old 14 January 2004, 10:05 PM
catalunya199
Scooby Regular

crikey phil you got a diesel version 26mpg. your seriously looking low 20s, interiors are alot better with the newer cars once you drive it you will love it and as stated above the noise is simply awseome
Old 14 January 2004, 10:41 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

thought this is the best place to get unbiased information
You've no chance mate £38-40 quid to fill a tank [optimax], about 180-220 miles per tank,fuel consumtion mmmm mine ranges from acceptable motorway mpg of approx 18-22(not checked it since full de-cat)standard maybe 20-25 speed depending.If you boot it it plummits with a de-cat ,truly frightening( )but very rewarding,all in all a truly fantastic car all round.... ,with a few basic mods:- brake upgrade to 4pot calipers if 2pot[pre99 was 2pot &pretty poor], de-cat exhaust[well worth it]buy one ,you WILL love it
sorry ,just noticed you asked about new wrx prices,the sti is about 24-25k add 2k for a PPP(prodrive performance pack) and you have a 27k car with just over 300bhp(count 'em ) now that aint bad , and the PPP doesn't invalidate the warrenty either so you still have 3yrs cover,you can't lose. Dunno wrx price sorry [not bieng much help am i ? ]

[Edited by matty01 - 1/14/2004 10:47:58 PM]

[Edited by matty01 - 1/14/2004 10:48:31 PM]
Old 15 January 2004, 03:14 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

With hard bargaining (well, not that hard ) you should be looking at £18.5k for a new WRX. Get a price from Tins.co.uk and take this as a starting point with a dealer (deal with 3 of them). WRX starts life at 220BHP, rising to 265 with the PPP, at £1600 (you probably won't get it any cheaper ).At time of purchase order the PPP to be fitted at the 1000 mile service and use that as leaverage to get a few other goodies thrown in, such as Prodrive springs (£225), mats and any of the unimportant cosmetic stuff. Don't ask for mudflaps (sorepoint) 'cos they're worth more than the car
STi's can be had for around £23.5k and come with 265BHP, rising to 300 with PPP (320 later?). Don't think that a WRX PPP is the same as a standard STi. They might have the same power, but are different animals. Go STi if you want hardcore.

I'd recommend you go book a couple of test drives as you have never experienced the thrill of driving a Scoob. It might not be for you as you're used to the comfort of a Beemer, but most petrosexuals are smitten within 200 yards. 1st time I drove one was in anger on a rain soaked track, and it remains one of the most fun days of my life to date. I just can't believe it's taken me 'til this year to get one. Roll on spring

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2004, 10:23 AM
jezyg
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replies my last foray into a hot haych was a Leon Cupra which I did enjoy but way too much wheel scrabble.

MPG seems OK as the Beemer averages about 31mpg

Yep 18.5K for a WRX seems OK what is the SL version of the WRX all about? Not sure wether I will end up with new or nearly new.

The STi looks a bit too manic for me really although I prefer the bodykit, but I do spent quite a bit of time in traffic and don't get many chances to really open the car up, hence why I ended up with a 318, but it is just the odd occasion when you want to have some fun or be able to at least keep up with a Volvo T5 and not be left 10 car lengths behind!!

I have to admit that the Beemer although boring is very refined and comfortable so I think I will need an extended testdrive to see if the Scooby is really me. A Scooby has always been my dream car about time I either went for one or stayed boring with either a new 5 series or X3.

Shall keep you posted thanks for all the help so far!!

Old 15 January 2004, 10:40 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Don't expect too much on refinement - they are a little agricultural in terms of goodies in the cabin. My 206 GTi was way better specified and finished in that respect, however that isn't what the car about. It has never pretended to be a luxuary cruiser, if you go with the expectation that it is you will be dissapointed.

Don't get me wrong it is comfortable, I find the seat the most comfortable of any car (i.e. firmness and support rather than sofa like) I have driven and the driving and pedal positioning is superb.

People seem to gripe about running costs, but to be honest they are not that bad. The MPG is worse than my old 206 GTi, but not by much. In a month I did 1400 miles in the scoob and it cost me £20 more than the Pug. Servicing is cheaper than a Pug, although more often. By my reckoning over a year it is going to work out the same. Finally the insurance is about £100 a year less for the Scoob than the Pug.

At the end of the day it all depends what you want it for. If you are spending most of you time cruising up and down the motorway then I'd say go for the BMW or similar. If you do a fair bit of country road driving then the smile factor from the Scoob comes in to its own
Old 15 January 2004, 11:53 AM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Jeremy

I hesitated buying one for a while and eventually bought an STI7 about 3 months ago. Never looked back mate. Absolutely love the thing. I get about 180-230 out of a full tank. About 16-20 mpg roughly I reckon. Personally I think the build quality inside is pretty poor compared to others but externally is good from what I can tell. Speakers are sh*te though, stereo 'seems ok'. I've just had a decat centre section,new Firestorm backbox and TSL rear fin and recommend the car very highly for its performance and fun factor!

Simon
Old 15 January 2004, 01:25 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Have 03 WRX and agree with much of above.

Stero & speakers need to be replaced, get an MP3 headunit. If you want a PPP join the Subaru Impreza Drivers Club (approx £30) and use Cross Roads garage and they'll give you 10% off.

I'd suggest that the build quality is good - ie they last well - but the quality of the materials is very poor (seat fabric, plastic for dash, some usless gadgets and it's missing some imprtant ones etc) and even many cheap car's have better quality materials - look at a Skoda Fabia.

Also, the ride in my 03 is generally very good.

Finally, consider a buy eye (it's a slightly older model) and get one in immaculate condition and save yourself the bext part of £6-£9k.
Old 15 January 2004, 01:34 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

For a 'real drivers car' get a classic Pre-00 MY

Mick
Old 16 January 2004, 08:53 AM
jezyg
Scooby Newbie

I am going to book a test drive with Beechdale Derby seeing as there is no Subaru dealer in Nottingham at the momment. But I work in Derby so not too much of a problem.

Does anyone know if a new dealer will be opening up in Nottingham?
Old 16 January 2004, 01:52 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

I had a BMW 323i before getting my WRX ('03 model).

Lovely car, and absolutely the right decision.

You still get most of the toys (aircon, electrics etc), just at a slightly lower spec level. Can sound a little tinny too - first time you close the boot you think you've broken it

But its a comfortable car to drive - probably on a par with my 323 - firm but forgiving (WRX at least). The power is very different. Its a little sluggish at very low revs as standard - chuggy away from the lights compared to my 323 (but probably better than a 318). But when the revs get up and the turbo kicks in, you forgive everything

PPP is supposed to make it much more driveable, plus more power.

I paid £18150 for mine, plus the cost of fitting a tracker (required by my insurance, but not all).

The SL is really just giving you leather seats (heated too I think).
Old 16 January 2004, 01:53 PM
Gangle
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I pondered about buying one for ages, about 18 months.. The cost of running, petrol, services, problems etc etc. All the scare stories almost put me off. But despite all this, I bought one and since I’ve had the car I have not regretted the purchase once. It’s been a great buy, I love to drive it.
It’s the only car I’ve owned that makes me grin and laugh when I drive it. It does give me great pleasures, the turning heads and comments are just added benefits..
You have to be sure it’s not about luxury or refinements, Because everyone will tell you a Scooby is a drivers car! it’s always about enjoyment.
Old 16 January 2004, 02:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

The SL version comes with leather, heated seats etc, same performance as the standard wrx.

Tony