Sponsored by:

tsl triple3

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2004, 10:25 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

on the way back from autosport show thought i would pop into tsl to test drive their sti8 333bhp 333lbs/ft torque-this is what the ppp should have been in the first place-no hesitation,constant power available and torque a v8 would be happy with.
the intention was to get it done at a later date but graham had a chat to richard and offered to remap my car there and then.
so i sat reading subaru magazines while my car was mapped for a very cheap price (just over £250 wink wink),got a group n bb fitted free and got a set of ferrodo ds2500 pads-dirt cheap price and as graham said cheaper than subaru oem pads!!!
they stayed till after 7pm to get everything fitted and i even got a discount at the local pub for lunch !!
in summary brilliant job great people and on the way back i reckon i have saved £20 on petrol as the car is more economical and this with me deliberately going down a gear all the time to feel the acceleration and sound of the backbox!!
i could not recommend this map enough to everyone-it is superb
ps my wife noticed someone had been at her mints when she got in the car this morning !!
martin
Old 13 January 2004, 10:28 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

Top job - can you give us a write up after living with it for a few weeks? Very interested in your findings.
Old 13 January 2004, 10:31 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Talking

i will when i stop smiling-could be a very long time!!
just remembered coming back through morning traffic it is much smoother and easier to drive than the ppp was
martin
Old 13 January 2004, 10:33 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good to see friendly customer service is still alive and kicking.
Old 13 January 2004, 10:41 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I want a trip out in it at the next Tayside meet!!

*Booking my place now, to avoid the queues...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 13 January 2004, 10:49 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

if yo see it you will buy it-performance is incredible with low down torque and real power all the way to the redline ,standard ppp runs out of puff much sooner
martin
Old 13 January 2004, 10:54 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

What did you already have done to your sti?

Was it already PPP’d and then they re-mapped it?

Cheers,

andy
Old 13 January 2004, 11:38 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

I've got MY03+PPP with an H+S downpipe can they re-map mine the same??
Old 13 January 2004, 12:00 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sounds exceptionally good, and kudos to TSL for launching this. I know that it's been a long time in development, as I know they've been working on this since certainly since March time.

However, it should be noted that your manufacturer's warranty will be void on the engine and major components after fitting the kit. I don't want to be a killjoy, but that's the way it is.

On a car less than a year old I personally would think long and hard about the wiseness of a 30BHP upgrade (from PPP to TSL 3P) for a wedge of cash which means you are no longer supported by the Subaru warranty. Surely the warranty is why people go for PPP in the first place, as other tuning packages are available which can give more for less outlay than PPP?

Again, I don't want to be seen as a wet blanket but people need to realise the implications of taking this step. Perhaps someone who knows the details of TSL's warranty could post on here, as I cannot see any mention on their website http://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk/engine.html

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 13 January 2004, 01:23 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

i understand the warranty bit just interested as he said he only paid another £250. Thinking of the future, or out loud i guess
Old 13 January 2004, 02:51 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
So was that just a remap of the PPP'd ECU for £250.00 using the existing prodrive standard parts.
Old 13 January 2004, 02:57 PM
JohnS

Martin,

can you make it up to Aberdeen tonight to demo it to all the local STi owners ?

John
Old 13 January 2004, 03:22 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

it did cost me more than £250-because i phoned up a few months ago i got it for £595 +vat but i got backbox etc fitted free and got it all fitted on the same day which must be a one off as they were busy all day.
cant make it to aberdeen tonight as i am working till 3 am
re warranty i am sure there will be no problems
martin
Old 13 January 2004, 04:25 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
p1doc,

I take it your car was standard PPP'd 7or8.

Any changes apart from the new remap and backbox ?
Old 13 January 2004, 10:06 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

it was standard ppp sti8 ,now has groupn bb,centre section and green panel filter to get the full potential of the remap
i was told with the centre resonant section 6 bhp, panel filter ? and grou nn because i liked it
martin
Old 14 January 2004, 08:18 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

Cool, i have the firestorm back box and center sections from my old wrx so i might look into it in the future
Old 14 January 2004, 09:13 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Chiark unless the Subaru dealers are able to read the maps how are they ever going to know? After all it is just reprogramming the standard ECU!

p1doc - Glad you liked the experiance and found the improvements so impressive. I had a similar thing done to my MY01 and couldn't believe the difference between the PPP I had originally and the Rchard mapped car.

Certainly TSL have got the maps sorted and all done by someone with a great pedigree.
Old 14 January 2004, 12:24 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Talking

still enjoying it, even my daughter loves it touching the new exhaust saying oooh
martin
Old 16 January 2004, 10:45 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Talking

still enjoying it, i would even in retrospect not have got ppp and got tsl triple 3 done instead although due to the deal i got i did not pay for ppp
re warranty there should be no problems as tsl's mapper is involved with prodrive producing their 320 bhp which is basically my ppp with a remap
martin

[Edited by p1doc - 1/16/2004 10:48:07 AM]
Old 16 January 2004, 10:50 AM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Talking

Glad you like it mate!!

Thaks everso for the business
Old 16 January 2004, 11:07 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Chiark unless the Subaru dealers are able to read the maps how are they ever going to know?
Erm, through people posting on here?

Also, Select monitors can read information from the maps, and I believe there logic in there to be able to identify a modified map.

If your engine goes bang and you make a warranty claim, could it be argued that you are obtaining services by deception? I suppose it depends upon whether the dealer asks you explicitly if you have made a modification, but I think if you go this route, you should understand and accept the warranty consequences, that's all.

Perhaps Trouser could comment? Rather than conjecture, word from the horse's mouth would definitely be best

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 16 January 2004, 11:41 AM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Talking

me??.. a horse??!!

Tell you what guys.. I will flag this thread up to Mr Bulmer.. as he actually knows what he is talking about.. unlike myself.. and ask him for the official line here

As it's such an important issue.. I feel it would be best to get a 100% factually accurate statement here for all concerned

Cheers

Paul
Old 16 January 2004, 11:48 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Thanks Paul
Old 16 January 2004, 12:50 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Martin

Let me assure you of something, TSL's mapper IS NOT involved in anything that we have done, are doing now or will be doing in the future. The forthcoming 320ps version we are working on for 04MY cars uses different hardware to our current package so it is not the same as you have now. We can also give you 333bhp as TSL have claimed for your car, but for how long???? To get that power output the turbo is working outside of it's efficiency range and it's life will be reduced.

And to answer the question about warranty, ALL engine related claims on Turbo cars are inspected and Subaru CAN tell if an ECU has been remapped.

Mike

Old 16 January 2004, 12:58 PM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Talking

Richard says....

"As the conversion remaps rather than replaces the existing ECU, the select monitor will simply connect and report precisely as it would with a standard vehicle.

As Select can report on engine parameters, a switched on technician may be able to record fuel, ignition, boost etc and compare it to a standard car in dealer stock if they so wished. This is the ONLY way that EcuTek can be detected at main dealer level."

Obviously ANY changes made to the original spec will invalidate warranty. Certain of you may have a more "relaxed" relationship with your dealer which may shed a slightly different light on things.. so start taking them little cakes... or presents each time you pop in

Seriously though.. any physical change of any part on the car invalidates warranty...

[comment removed]

Obviously...

cheers

Paul
TSL

There endeth the public service announcement

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 1/16/2004 2:19:52 PM]
Old 16 January 2004, 01:37 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

[quoted above comment removed]

Just playing devil's advocate for a second, but couldn't that be interpreted by those inclined to do so as an incitement for owners to commit fraud?

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 1/16/2004 2:21:20 PM]
Old 16 January 2004, 01:51 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

It's called checksum.

If you have the ability to change a paramteter you have the ability to check if a parameter has been changed.

Why not just pay the extra insurance and have peace of mind? You'll only whine when they don't pay out.

If you're worried about warranties then modifications aren't for you or you should have bought an older car.
Old 16 January 2004, 02:06 PM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify..

We would not of course advise any customers to not declare such a mod to their dealer.. or more important their insurance co.

We would ask people not to use this potentially misleading function in a warranty scenario...of course. I leave that to peoples conscience..

No ..

all the best

Paul
Old 16 January 2004, 04:04 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i am happy with the above and must say i have little respect for subaru warranty anyway due to my previous dealings with subaru re paintwork abnormalities which subaru said was down to my driving style-on the bootlid!! and said they could not supply me with photographs as they were for internal use only??! and when i got my 6 month old p1 resprayed at an official subaru garage i had 80 miles added to it when the painters were only 10 miles away at most and when i complained when i returned after work to find my car had barely enough petrol to get home was told i could have £10 worth of petrol and denied responsibility shrugging their shoulders-i dont go to their garage anymore
when i was at the autosport show at the weekend the subaru rep said (and hopefully he should know)that the wr1 had 320 bhp and upgrades would not be available -smiling as he said this!! despite having been to 3 dealers and testing their demo models which even to a novice like myself had more horsepower and beint told there are at present 2 levels of ppp -customer and demo!!
martin
Old 16 January 2004, 05:48 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Martin

I can assure you that there never has been 2 versions of the package as you suggest, not even a different spec for Press Cars. Until now the spec evolutions haven't even produced more power, just more safety as we've spent time living with the upgrade.

Mike