The whole waving thing

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2004, 01:48 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

is it dead?

i rember last year when i bought my car i was stunned to learn of the wave, always had people waving, and now they dont, did it die a death?

never had a single wave ever scince i started modding the outside of the car
Old 12 January 2004, 02:27 AM
j888ymc
Scooby Regular

its not dead, just sad
Old 12 January 2004, 06:28 AM
SCOOB UK
Scooby Regular

Got to ask...why is it sad??

We all come on Scoobynet for some reason or other....maybe it's for advice, information, inspiration, to look at other member's cars, or just for the crack.....whatever.....we are here!!!!

"The Wave" is surely just an extension of Scoobynet?? All you are really doing is acknowledging that someone else has great taste in cars!!! Most likely the people you are waving to are from the same area and you may bump into them at some sort of meet.

Oh Hang on........If you are the type that choses not to wave, then you're probably not the type to go to any meets......far too sociable eh?!!!!

I do generally "wave". Generally it isn't a wave like waving your Granny off on holiday....more like a quick "lift of the hand from the steering wheel" type thing.

Who knows....you could be waving to someone that has helped you out on Scoobynet........or someone that would have........

IF YOU HAD WAVED BACK!!

[Edited by SCOOB UK - 1/12/2004 6:34:01 AM]
Old 12 January 2004, 08:12 AM
DEC14N
Scooby Regular

After picking up my first scooby on saturday i wasnt sure how the wave would go down so tried it out yesterday on another wagon driver. NO RESPONSE! did i feel stupid or what!
Old 12 January 2004, 08:19 AM
hybwrx2002
Scooby Regular

I've had "waves" or a first finger raised while holding on to the wheel kinda thing loads of times now, Only had my scoob about a month and already have had waves from about 10 scoobs

Its great!
Old 12 January 2004, 08:38 AM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

never had a single wave ever scince i started modding the outside of the car
well, depends whether your car still looks like a Scoob, I guess
Old 12 January 2004, 08:50 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

Smile

I was about to buy my 2nd Scoob - been without one for 2 years

Went for a test drive at the weekend and got waved and flashed at by 2 others - gave me a nice warm feeling inside

So much so on return the the dealer, I bought one!

PaulL
Old 12 January 2004, 08:53 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

After picking up my first scooby on saturday i wasnt sure how the wave would go down so tried it out yesterday on another wagon driver. NO RESPONSE!
Which is exactly why I don't wave until waved to!!
Old 12 January 2004, 09:09 AM
PETENAUD
Scooby Regular

Always wave at other scoobs, sometimes nothing other times a freindly wave back.

Used to be heavily into Land Rovers and they do the same thing, although i find the scooby community far less cliquey.

Old 12 January 2004, 09:10 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I always wave or flash my lights - don't really care if the other person doesn't respond (9/10 times they do!!)

Wifey thinks it's hilarious, but even she does it now (and then gets all embarrassed when she realises what she's done!!)

It's not dead, certainly not sad. I think that with the popularity of Subaru now, not as many people as we would like to think know about ScoobyNet and the voluntary "tradition" that goes with it....

Dan
Old 12 January 2004, 09:11 AM
John P
Scooby Regular

I personally believe that the wave is a way of appreciating the car that you have chosen and that another person has decided the same. I do wave but occasionally I miss the chance as I have been diverted, either by concentrating on what I am doing or the kids may be talking to me. Just coz you dont get a wave back dont stop!!! doing it. Keep the Scooby trade alive
Ps Parents had an MG and had the wave, and also a triumph stag also had the wave/flash acknowledgement
Old 12 January 2004, 09:55 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Get waving!
So what if you don't get a wave back?
I've had a best of 4 waves in one 45 minute drive to work, so there are some friendly Scoobs out there.
Old 12 January 2004, 10:17 AM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Talking

I always wave, probably just out of habit these days.

About 4 years ago there were a lot less Scoobs on the road and 9 times out of 10 you'd get a response or they'd wave first.

Nowadays about 3 out of 10 respond.

My girlfriend takes the p*ss all the time but even more when I dont get waved back!

Ben
Old 12 January 2004, 10:19 AM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

Got waved at by the guy behind me just before he turned on the blue lights. !DOH!

The old - nice car who owns it ??? !?!?? now theres a good question I said funny that. Could see a bollicking coming for that remark......

Still its nice to be pulled over by a scooby police car to give my car a full check over, was going to have it done by the RAC in Tesco but the kind policeman did more checks and it was free !
Old 12 January 2004, 10:32 AM
Gina G-force
Scooby Regular

Talking

Waves = True Believer
Non waves = Infidel
Simple really.

Gina G

TB
Old 12 January 2004, 11:01 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

after collecting my new scoob this weekend, i told the girlfriend i had also registered on here and why. She laughed and said u sado i suppose you'll be flashing fellow scooby owners now as well. I made no comment to this remark.

Yesterday, driving through maidenhead, a P1 (at least i'm pretty sure it was, i was concentrating at the time!)approached in the opposite lane, and they flashed, to which i returned one. The girl was in fits of laughter and said, oh my god i really was jokin when i said that the other day, that was really nice. She then appologised for her comment the day before :-)
Old 12 January 2004, 11:10 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I've always waved to those in similar cars to me. Did it when I went through all my 205GTIs, did it when I had a Pulsar GTIR and got quite a few waves back which I put down to the reason stated above and rare cars - you recognise a fellow enthusiast and I've done it a couple of times in my Impreza with only 1 response.

I will wave (and yes, my misses takes the pee loads "You boys and your toys" ) but I like the idea of the car "club" way.
Old 12 January 2004, 11:21 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
i told the girlfriend i had also registered on here and why. She laughed and said u sado i suppose you'll be flashing fellow scooby owners now as well
Sounds familiar

I had near enough exactly the same conversation with my girlfriend and when I told her I was joining my local group (LADS) she nearly died laughin.

As far as waves goes, I have flashed one WRX and didnt get any response, so I've been a bit wary about doing it since. THis weekend I was down in Shrewsbury, saw 3 scoobs and not one flashed or waved

But, from now on I'll just do it regardless and if I dont get any response well, whatever

J
Old 12 January 2004, 11:27 AM
trancetopia
Scooby Regular

Talking

I oblige other scooby owners with the wave every time. Not really bothered if I get a wave back or not but most do acknowledge if I wave first.

There have been times where i've been driving around minding my own business then I see flashing of headlights and there is scooby coming my way.

I consider it rude not to wave. There is a good community feeling among scooby owners and we need to keep it that way.
Old 12 January 2004, 11:45 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I wave to pretty much every Impreza I see (admittedly more to Turbos!). I don't get many waves back, but I keep trying. It's all much to the amusement of my g/f. I'm not sure which she finds funnier - the fact that I wave, or that very few of them wave back!
Old 12 January 2004, 12:14 PM
Charlie WRXSTI
Scooby Regular

I always wave or flash and sometimes get a response. My boyfriend thinks its hilarious and p1sses himself laughing but I don't care
Old 12 January 2004, 12:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

but you only wave and flash when you recognise the trademark bonnet and spoiler!!!!!

i wave at countless scoobs and get the blank stare and the who are you gaze back

the reason,,,,, no spoiler or bonnet scoop,,,,,

true imprezza owners should be able to identify all models!!!!

HAHA

mart
Old 12 January 2004, 12:24 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Bought my first Turbo six years ago. Used to do the waving thing then. Just got back into the fold and was stunned when drivers started waving at me - took me a while to realise that it was because they were also in Imprezas.

Rather nice after four years in a BMW!
Old 12 January 2004, 12:44 PM
Charlie WRXSTI
Scooby Regular

but you only wave and flash when you recognise the trademark bonnet and spoiler!!!!!
Was that aimed at me or in general?
Old 12 January 2004, 12:45 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

well, depends whether your car still looks like a Scoob, I guess
it looks like its intended lol

personaly ive never waved unless sumbodys waved at me 1st lol
except this one time, i drove down the coast and saw this old man and woman come towards me in a white wrx pointing and stareing, i couldnt help it, i give them a cheery little wave, it made there day
Old 12 January 2004, 01:06 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

I always wave at Scoobys and everybody waves back, no problems.

These days with daft speed limits and road calming measures I get bored and play spot the Scooby.

You can spot that bonnet scoop miles away
Old 12 January 2004, 01:09 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

Only had my Scoob for about 4 months and didn't know about the "wave" at the start.

Think it's a cool idea and apologise to anyone who didn't get a response.

Keep waving!

[Edited by Subarstar - 1/12/2004 1:10:40 PM]
Old 12 January 2004, 01:20 PM
scoobimax
Scooby Regular

Wife takes the p!ss out of me too for waving, but doesn't stop me. Have to admit only to Turbo's though after several blank expressions from Sport/GL drivers in the early days.

Majority of time get a response but occasionally you stumble upon the grumpy type who just blanks you.
Old 12 January 2004, 01:28 PM
Scooby_simon
Scooby Regular

Plenty waves in the Hitchin area / north herts...

mine is green my96 turbo P%%%PGO....I'll wave, will you ?
Old 12 January 2004, 01:31 PM
P1-day
Scooby Regular

always flash and wave at scoobs and have always had a response. get carried away sometimes and flash when driving my run around, (Datsun Sunny). thats when i get some strange looks

Quick Reply: The whole waving thing