Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uk turbo Vs wrx

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2004, 10:29 PM
scottg
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi people still looking for my first scooby and just need some info,is there any difference in spec between the uk turbo and the wrx apart from the bhp
cheers
scott
Old 11 January 2004, 10:31 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Read here!
Old 11 January 2004, 11:28 PM
scottg
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that danny-boy i will have a good look at that
Old 11 January 2004, 11:44 PM
Madjay
Scooby Regular

dont get a WRX mate, trust me like, BUFF-MACHINE
Old 12 January 2004, 08:45 AM
Adam555
Scooby Regular

wrx everytime
Old 12 January 2004, 08:50 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
wrx everytime- if you want use non existant NF to stop your engine blowing up every time you use the thing. Or buy a cheaper UK model and spend the difference modding it for safe power. Plus you can get parts from main dealers, use Subaru assistance and you might even get a warranty. Older jap imports are a minefield.
Old 12 January 2004, 11:54 PM
scottg
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the replys, just one other question what does NF mean(sorry i am new to all this)
cheers
scott
Old 13 January 2004, 12:13 AM
wanted
Scooby Regular

NF is one of many octane boosters, which you must use on imports, or get a re-map so that uk fuel can be used without booster.
Uk cars are a safer buy and can easily be brought up to jap spec with a few mods.
Old 13 January 2004, 01:32 AM
The Terminator wrx
Scooby Regular

OR GET A WRX STI AND GET IT REMAPPED FOR UK FUEL
BETTER THAN ANY Uk CAR IMHO
Old 13 January 2004, 02:51 AM
new boy
Scooby Regular

but take care re insurance!!

bought uk wagon in th end...now running around 300bhp-no problem and only group 17!!
ads
Old 13 January 2004, 08:06 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
There are examples of WRX's that are poorly looked after either through neglect or ignorance. Same goes for UK models too. Get a good one of either and your laughing.

Uk models can be modified to WRX peformance for little money, similarly WRX's can be remapped for UK fuel for little money.

£ for £ WRX's are better specced, alloy suspension, bonnet etc but generally are more expensive to insure.

Loads more info on the SIDC site, read through the FAQ.
Old 13 January 2004, 08:23 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

wrx everytime.

u not only get the performance benefits, but u get things as standard, such as aircon, which the uk models dont have.

if you're going for an older car anyway, u can put a scoobyecu in a wrx, boosting its performance even more above the uk cars, AND providing a safe option for uk fuel.
Old 13 January 2004, 09:07 AM
wanted
Scooby Regular

if you're going for an older car anyway, u can put a scoobyecu in a wrx, boosting its performance even more above the uk cars, AND providing a safe option for uk fuel.
But if you put a scoobyecu on a uk car then it will have exactly the same map/power and still be group 17 insurance
Old 13 January 2004, 09:28 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

But if you put a scoobyecu on a uk car then it will have exactly the same map/power and still be group 17 insurance
so how come in the dyno.scoobynet site, the only scoobyecu uk car has a figure of 256bhp/228lb on a my96 with decat? this is about what a my96 wrx makes in standard trim. add a decat + chip to the wrx and you're looking at +20-25bhp.

but even if u are correct - your car may only be group 17 insurance, but you'll be paying more than a standard car as you'll have mods. plus u still wont have aircon
Old 13 January 2004, 09:33 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

My MY00 UK Turbo has Air Con
Old 13 January 2004, 09:57 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

........as does my MY99 UK Turbo!!

Went for a UK due to cheaper insurance, availability of parts, and I was told that it is easy to mod up to 280bhp, which will be plenty for me for a while!!

Currently running a full de-cat, Induction Kit, 17" Prodrives, Bilstein Suspension and a Forge VTA D/V and I find it pretty damn fast for me... Next mods for me are either a PPP ECU (which should keep the warranty, I think, I hope!!), or if I say bollox to the Subaru Dealer Warranty I have got, then a Tek 3 Re-map.

Cheers,
Grant

Edited so the post makes sense...

[Edited by RS Grant - 1/13/2004 9:59:52 AM]
Old 13 January 2004, 10:19 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

RS Grant - suspect the warranty has gone out the window already with "full de-cat, Induction Kit"!

Back to the original question however...

You will find people on here who think anything but JDM is a waste of time and others who think the same way about UK cars. There are positives and negatives to either. Warrany seems to be less of an issue with newer cars but if you are going with an older one and can get a UK warranty then this is a big advantage.

A lot depends on what you want to get from your Scoob. If you are looking for the fastest / most powerful off the shelf car and are not worried about much else then a JDM is the way to go. If you are happy with 210 ish bhp and want to have peace of mind with warranty etc then the UK is the way to go. Your call! Good luck in what you decide to go for!
Old 13 January 2004, 10:38 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Bought it with the de-cat centre and B/B on the car and the Induction kit also fitted to the car....... All from a Subaru Main Dealer!!

However, I see where you are coming from regarding the extra de-cat I have added, the d/v, and the planned ECU upgrade some time in the future!!

Agree with what you said above as well...

It'll be interesting what you go for in the end mate, let us know!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 13 January 2004, 11:12 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
My UK car came with leather and air con too, also a Subaru Approved warranty, recovery and loads of other stuff you don't get with the JDM cars. Add the scoobyecu and the only thing the UK car hasn't got is electric mirrors, colour coding (which I don't like anyway) and an insurance that costs almost twice the price.
The jap spec WRX's that run the scoobyecu are remapped for UK fuel so as far as I can see you'll ge the same results power wise. Perhaps those really in the know can tell us?
Old 13 January 2004, 11:23 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
Smile

If you are happy with 210 ish bhp and want to have peace of mind with warranty etc then the UK is the way to go
Surely this depends on the year of the UK car, if you go for a pre MY99 then on paper they should have 207 BHP, MY99 215 BHP
However, if you check out http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk and go to the UK model results, you'll see that the lowest figure on a standard MY99 is 229 BHP and the highest (Lee Christie, cold day) 245 BHP!!!

Plus, my own UK MY99 has air con and leccy mirrors as well

Happy hunting

J

[Edited by Jay_bee - 1/13/2004 11:26:13 AM]
Old 13 January 2004, 12:20 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

280bhp is a limit on a UK (due to the turbo) where as on the later WRX 280 is a starting point .

By a UK and mod it and get safe power, you mean buy a UK and remap it, like you can remap a WRX for safe power .

Also remap a UK and it wont be group 17.
Old 13 January 2004, 12:25 PM
NACRO
BANNED

A TD05 is limited to 280bhp? I thought fuel cut was the problem with TD05 UK cars?

edited to add: the remap added exactly £0 to my insurance with Liverpool Victoria, an import japanese Impreza was £600 more- almost double.

[Edited by NACRO - 1/13/2004 12:27:05 PM]
Old 13 January 2004, 12:51 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Yes but you wouldnt remap a JDM with 280ps to 280ps. So even though insurance is more the potential is greater. LV are also good on mods to all imprezas not just UKs.
Old 13 January 2004, 01:04 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

The post 96 uk cars had the smaller TD04 which is limited to 280bhp, the earlier ones had the larger TD05 which is good for alot more power.
Old 13 January 2004, 01:57 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Question

when modding surely limits on all these car only exist in relevance to the amount you plan to spend..
a good uk a good wrx either who cares..to my mind the quickest modded cars are uk's aren't they?
one point i will make is that it is often not raised that the different transimissions and suspension from wrx to uk can obviously affect performance.?when in standard or mildish trim i.e it is agreed that sti's can be just a bit to unfriendly as a daily driver on uk roads?
and i often go head to head with wrx's(hi dan/jon/marxus etc) running more power but always stay with em due to imho a better box/diff ratio ..(and me being a top driver obviously!!!!!!)
think that insurance and the car itself should be the biggest decision maker when buying all imho of course.....
Old 13 January 2004, 07:36 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Depends on how much you want to spend

http://www.rigoliracing.com.au/wrx_wagon_dragcar.html
Old 13 January 2004, 07:57 PM
===WRX===
Scooby Regular

the JDM WRX is a better value for money car, more toys, more power, more fun....but

More insurance, more things to go wrong electronicly ( mirrios, air con, yada yada yada )

I got mine 18 months back..looked for around 6 months, witnessed some right bags O crap, but eventualy found one which fitted the big perfectly......350bhp later......whoooo hooo

got for the WRX if you dont mind the extra insurance ( not much mind )

All the best

jay

PS anybody who tells you to go for the UK Version is either over 50 or just gutted that they bought one....you know the old saying

"misery like company"

flame suit fully zipped up

all the best

jay
Old 13 January 2004, 08:34 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I bought a uk my/00, and I'm not gutted because it is SIMPLY THE FINEST my/00 in the country, bar none!!!
dave
Old 13 January 2004, 08:40 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tell you the biggest buying point for me and the real deal clincher was I have a little button and when you press it the wing mirrors fold in. How is that

The fact it will 0-60 in a tad over 4 seconds and a ton in 12 is secondary
Old 13 January 2004, 08:47 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Won't a UK Car do those times? A UK car like a P1 or the UK22B?

I think the original flavour of the thread was a comparison between a JDM WRX and UK Turbo 2000 wasn't it?

You're right though no folding electric mirrors to go wrong.

Quick Reply: uk turbo Vs wrx