Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Racks

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2004, 01:07 PM
Steve Sutts
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if you can fit bike racks to a Subaru Impreza STI with rear (low) spoiler. If so where you can by them from etc. Any help would be much appreciated. Sutts.
Old 09 January 2004, 01:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Your only real way of transporting bikes AFAIK, is to have a roof rack system, or a towbar mounted system.
Either needs extra fittings as well as the racks.
I use Subaru OE roofbars, bought for £100 off here, with 3 French bought upright carriers, and one Thule wheel out carrier to carry my son's trials bike which has an odd shaped down tube.

Interestingly, "Which?" did an article on bike carriers, and decided that as far as fuel consumption was concerned, the towbar mounted type was best, followed by the roof mounted type, with the boot mounted type a poor third.

Also take into account that the roof mounted one is the only type to give you access to the boot once the bikes are on it, and can have easy security fitted.
I have locking roofbars, locking screw handles on the carriers, and locking front quick release on the wheel-out one. I also fasten the bikes to the rack with a Kryptonite 10mm cable, and a Queen hardened padlock.

Alcazar
Old 09 January 2004, 01:40 PM
John P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are bike racks that fit from the bootlid and have all the correct straps to tighten. My mate picked up one from a decent cycle shop. Just called him and he is sure would fit a low spoilered boot.
Hope this helps