Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Front fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2000, 01:07 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're crap. If the little green light didn't light up on the dashboard, it would be difficult to know if they were on or off.
Old 01 June 2000, 02:24 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Ditto ....

I put better bulbs in and they were a lot better, but I invested in the PIAA lamps and now don't know how I managed ....

K
Old 01 June 2000, 03:05 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Yep, agree, they are crap....light up about 2 foot in front of the car, little use really.

Kev, what are these PIAA lamps like then? Can you simply put a more powerful bulb in or is it better to simply replace the bulb and the lens (is that how you spell lens? or is it lense?)

Jim
Old 01 June 2000, 06:51 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Hi "checkey jim"

I tried the PIAA plasma blue bulbs in them first and was impressed, did improve them no end but I have to say they were fog lamps at the end of the day and to be "street legal" you could never have them on ... So I decided to go the whole hog and get the PIAA lamp upgrade, well worth it as well, I opted for the "pencil beam" and not the "driving lens" the amount of light these babies give out is amazing go to my site
Old 01 June 2000, 11:48 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Angry

remember not to use fog lamps at night/day (only bad weather)got £20 fixed fine christmas/boxing day 2am, by copper with nothin' else better to do but pull young lad over in red scooby just 4 the sake of it (other than miss-use of fog lamp excuss!!!!)nothin' else on the roadat that time of day!!!
Old 02 June 2000, 08:26 AM
Taff
Scooby Regular

Question

Kev

Just been to your site - excellent work. A quick question:

I have the perspex protectors over my current standard fog limps (no misspelling). Do you know if the covers will fit the PIAA items?

Many thanks

Taff

[This message has been edited by Taff (edited 02-06-2000).]
Old 03 June 2000, 11:40 AM
Steve_Yeowart
Scooby Regular

The fog light covers won't fit over the PIAA lights best to leave the covers on the lights when they are not actually in use, judging by the amount of stone chips I have on my lamp covers (RB5 covers painted you see!!)
Old 03 June 2000, 04:04 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Question

kev - so i assume they do a set which are not 'pencil beam'then ? (i will check out your site for info)

whats the difference ? price ? usefulness ?

The PIAA ones are from Subaru dealers ? about £300 ?

What about the cibies you can get from SS or SM ?

Which ones would people recommend cos i agree the standard fogs are no use whatsoever.
Old 03 June 2000, 05:55 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

hi all ...

Taff - The clear covers won't fit, tried that, but Steve-Y is dead right about the PIAA covers... best to leave them on when you don't need 'em. I know die hards will say "so that means you have to stop before you use them ...." yes I do stop and take them off if I know I'll be out in the dark .... or if I park in an iffy area ... but it aint that much of a chore ... and you can paint them to match you car, takes a couple of days prep etc but well worth it, see my site for the details .....

Steve P - Yes they do a driving lens, the description and beam patterns are on my site
Old 03 June 2000, 06:14 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Lads ive just had a set of Cibie Oscar SC's fitted to my STI V5 they needed new brackets and a lot of cutting and adjusting to get them snug, when i finally went to fit the clear covers it was just not meant to be.There is absolutely no chance of them fitting on, even the use of a heat gun to bend the plastic clips further was not going to work.

So im going to give this Armourfend stuff ago.It says on their site that they did an experiment with an air rifle at 4 foot and the results looked very good, may be guys you could get this put over the lenses as added protection for when you do remove your hard covers.Save on a brand new lamp if a stone meets it without the cover on.

Ive mailed them with my requirements and i'll let you all know how they look and how easy the application is, also how long they last.

If your interested its
Old 05 June 2000, 06:04 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Talking

Kev,

Sorry about the delay in responding, I have been out and about and not had time to catch up with anything.

The PIAA's do look rather good, yet another 'I want' on my list of upgrades, changes to be made. I have to say that I am going to wait until the 12 month warranty runs out on my Scoob before I make any changes, as I cannot be arsed to fight with dealers in the interim (if it would come to that)!

So my Scoob is going to have to be content with crap driving Limps (I like That!!) until

1) I have paid for my wedding 2) The missus stops finding 'more important' things to spend our money on!! 3) The warranty runs out!

Jim