All Ticket Rally GB

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2000, 12:37 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Angry

It has just been anounced that all the stages on this years rally GB will be ticket only!!!

They will release just 250,000 tickets for public sale!!!

With an event that attracts well in excess of 1 million spectators, what the hell are these people thinking?

Can you see them trying to stop people from entering a forest if they realy want too? I can't.

I predict a major riot come november, do we have enough police to cope with this situation? I think not!

What do you guys think?

I am just stunned at the stupidity and arogance of this decision.

Old 24 May 2000, 12:40 AM
Martin Cook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Maybe there family tickets!!
Old 24 May 2000, 01:03 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

John, I don't think you quite conveyed how angry you are about this. Could you use more angry faces please?

On a more serious note, how exactly are they going to stop access? I thought that foresty commision land was open to the public without condition (apart from the obvious, like lighting fires etc.) And what about the recent act of Parliament about land access and right of way?

Geezer
Old 24 May 2000, 01:05 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Probably insurance or TV advertising driven, they can't really afford to have stages cancelled like earlier this year - I blame Richards, the new rally supremo, wants to be the next Bernie Ecclestone.
Chuck
PS They'll probably double the run once they have built the hype up, I hear it's the new Rallye de Catalunya killer! Good old Prodrive

[This message has been edited by chuckster (edited 24-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by chuckster (edited 24-05-2000).]
Old 24 May 2000, 01:13 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chuckster,

Get back to work

Yex - still waiting for P1, garage, pension....
Old 24 May 2000, 01:36 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Rally of GB? - surely you mean the 'Rally Of Wales'??
Old 24 May 2000, 03:52 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hi

Well! As we all know, but were afraid to admit - It was only a matter of time!

I suppose the only way they can ensure payment, is if they ban parking in the surrounding area, so tickets will be needed to enter the stage carparks! They know the majority would rather pay than trek miles across country!

Is there any indication of price yet? I went to Cheltenham race course last year before going into Wales and that was £14 alone!

We shall see !!!!!!

James
Old 24 May 2000, 04:33 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JAMES BUSHELL:
<B>Hi

They know the majority would rather pay than trek miles across country!

Is there any indication of price yet?
James [/quote]

The point entirely james is that the majority wont get the oportunity to see the rally! at least 3/4 of current spectators wont get a ticket even if they could afford it.

As for pricing, it is going to be done on a per person basis and not per car as usual.

costs will be for a 3 day pass £45 per person, one day pass £15 per person. to see a single stage £10 per person.

under 8's free, 8-15 year olds half price.

boy oh boy is this gonna be a disaster!!!

As someone who competes in british rallies and has followed this event for over 17 years, seeing it become more emasculated each year, i just despair at what is happening to the sport i truly love.

And yes, i am absolutely furious.

Old 24 May 2000, 04:51 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

Sorry John, not convinced
Old 24 May 2000, 04:52 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

Angry

so, i guess i will be out of luck this year, eh???

*bummer*

why are they doing this?? it's never going to work....
Old 24 May 2000, 04:55 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

John,

This is very bad news. How else can they annoy the 1 million odd spectators that turn up for the biggest spectator sport of the year in the UK.

Several words spring to mind but they are all rude.

Will have to try double hard this year to get VIP passes.

Cheers

Ian
Old 24 May 2000, 05:04 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Subie Gal:
<B>so, i guess i will be out of luck this year, eh???

*bummer*

why are they doing this?? it's never going to work.... [/quote]

I'm sure some of the friends you made on your recent visit to our green and pleasant land would perloin some of the aforementioned tickets for you, and forward them via Her Majestys Royal Mail to the colonies.

Geezer

Old 24 May 2000, 05:44 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there anywhere to order these online?

NOBODY is stopping me get into those stages and I don't care how big they are....

Richard

Oh and JohnFelstead.. Calmed down yet?
Old 24 May 2000, 05:53 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

They are idiots,

They shrunk the rally and moved stages closer together:- result traffic jams

hmm traffic jams they think, I know lets reduce numbers.

are they thick or what, most rally spectators turn up and see whats going on, with no clear plan, ie if the stage is good they will stay for longer, I can't see this stopping people going, its just going to lead to more traffic jams.

John have you got msa's site address?

p.s. Jamie, I'm sure we can get some passes sorted out, I managed last year, but it was all a bit last minute, i'll have to get onto my contacts early this year

pps.

[This message has been edited by Paul Wilson (edited 24-05-2000).]
Old 24 May 2000, 06:18 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

I saw this last week on teletext page 360 on the beeb, thought it was a miss-print but I'll be scouring this weeks Autosport.

I guess it's an idea to prevent the repeat of last years fiasco in Wales and as the event ain't leaving wales this year and the traffic is gonna be diabolical, those who remember the good old days when you could visit a min of 5 stages in a day as the traffic wasn't an issue will know how bad it actually is now. That said limiting the tickets won't help as how are they going to police an event held in forests with "hundreds" of miles of perimeters ..... it can't all be fenced-off and patroled looking for dodgers ????

like john said it stinks

K
Old 24 May 2000, 06:32 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

well.... *hangs head*

i really *begins to sob*

REALLY *tears everywhere*

wanted to goooooooooooo!!!

guess, *sniff* i'll *sniff* just have to buy the *sniff* videoooooooooo!!

unless of course you guys find a way for us YANKS to get tickets or passes or something...

damn
Old 24 May 2000, 06:46 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

All,
As I live in Cardiff I have taken great interest in this years rally. Originally the council didnt even want the event based in the city centre even considering having parc ferme on some wasteland about three miles from the centre until enough people complained. They have now moved parc ferme to the civic centre.
If anyone wants to air their views I suggest they contact the rally co-ordinator from the council.He can be found at Glen.Williams@cardiff.gov.uk

I agree that the charges are ludicrous. The trouble is where the stages are located it is relatively simple for the cops to block access to the forests from miles away making it difficult for even the hardy fans like myself to get close enough to walk to the stages.
I'd also like to point out that hotels in Cardiff are very busy at most times so it is advisable to book early if anyone is still going to bother coming.

Cheers

Chip.

[This message has been edited by Chip (edited 24-05-2000).]
Old 24 May 2000, 06:50 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Angry

tickets can be bought online via the following web site.
Old 24 May 2000, 06:55 PM
Chunky
Scooby Regular

Angry

First I've heard of this, still can't get my head round what they are doing to the lombard RAC as I will always call it. Every year something seems to change for the worse.
Why the hell is our national rally being condensed more and more into bloody Wales?

Surely logic will tell the powers that be that if you spread the rally out then you cut congestion and more fans get too see what is the best motorsport event on the calendar. Running stages twice is and always has been a recipe for bother. I can see this years rally turning into a real fiasco,which will maybe end in cancellation which would leave me and millions of real rally fans,simply gutted. Why are people trying to ruin the RAC?

Old 24 May 2000, 07:00 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Hey Chunky whats wrong with bloody Wales then.

Chip.

P.S No sheep jokes please.
Old 24 May 2000, 07:04 PM
Chunky
Scooby Regular

Wink

You know what I mean boyo
Old 24 May 2000, 07:26 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Angry

another dumb thing they have done this year is cancelled the spectator day so even more people will be heading into the forests to get their fix.

I am not a big fan of the spectator stages, but they served a good purpose in disuiding a large number of people from heading into congested wales.

I am very awair of what goes on in british rallying. The biggest uproar is going to occur when the masses of once a year suporters find out about this policy too late to buy any tickets.

This event is not like restricting spectators at the british GP when they reduced the entry from 120,000 down to 95,000. We are talking about restricting access to hundreds of miles of land to over 750,000 people. It is quite simply going to be a national catastrophe.

I need to do some research on the legality of this policy as there are isues here for freedom of movement.

I remember when the police broke the law to restrict movement around the UK during the minor's strike. I see a similar confrontation happening here!

If there are any legal eagles out there let us know the law on this please.

One other point, those people who pay for their tickets aren't going to be happy being stuck in traffic because there is a problem trying to turn 100,000's of people away at road junctions/stage entrances.

I think its time to become a ticket toute aswell, whats stopping me buying hundreds of tickets and selling them at an inflated price? I have a contact who does this for a living in london, he must be rubbing his hands together now!

Old 24 May 2000, 07:39 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

For those that would like to email the MSA, I have tracked down their email address, which does not appear on their main site.

msa_mail@compuserve.com

and I sent them the following, wonder what they will say?

I feel disgusted by the MSA's attitude with regard to spectating on this years Rally GB. I speak as a person who marshalls regularly, I tend to marshall 1 year and spectate the next, when I think of what I have done for the sport and the return I get on that investmant I am appaled. Spending 2/3 days in the forests of Wales for a tacky pin was OK when it was a large event with some interesting roads, and resonable car parking charges at stages.Now you have shrunk the event and are reaping the rewards of your own inept planning, by seeing the roads of Wales clogged, I ask you what did you expect?

Space the rally back out again so the roads are not clogged.

Forget charging £45 for a pass

p.s. as you are sponsered by Network Q with their money back guarantee, as you print on the bottom of each press release, I take it I will be able to return my pass for a full refund if I am not able to attend, and if stages are cancelled a proportionate refund will be forthcoming?
Old 24 May 2000, 08:27 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks John..

The "American contingent" are organising tickets ASAP..

We'll be based out of Merthyr Tydfil again. Nicely placed between the start and the stages..

Richard
Old 24 May 2000, 09:00 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

For those who have'nt seen it yet ......

Tickets are now available for the UK's largest sporting spectator event - the Network Q Rally of Great Britain.

Hosted this year by the City of Cardiff, the 14th round of the World Rally Championship promises to be bigger and better than ever before. And with demand for tickets growing each year, event organisers, the Motor Sports Association, advise booking early to avoid disappointment.

Two types of ticket can be purchased in advance. Simply click on the type you want, to access the on-line booking form.

Event Pass (£45) available in advance, the Event Pass entitles the bearer to entry to all stages of the rally, including the Rally Show in Cathays Park and Rally Headquarters in City Hall. Price includes an Official Programme (cover price £5) or a discounted offer on a full Spectator Kit for £7.95, including maps and programmes (normal price £12.95).

Day Pass (£15) also available in advance, the Day Pass is valid for one day only and allows access to any stage on the date specified on the ticket. When applying for a Day Pass, please remember to specify which date you would like to attend.

A limited number of tickets will also be available each day on the gate, for casual spectators. Priced at £10, Stage Passes are valid for one stage only.

But the only way to make sure you're part of the action is to book now using our on-line order form.

Half price tickets are available for children aged 8-15.
Accompanied children under 8 years go free.

what can you say except what a load of rubbish, bring back the 80's when it was a joy to watch in the forests around the UK and it was all part of the "fun" to trek form kielder down to the lakes and then down to wales ..... grrrrreat ....but sadly I think they have now destroyed the event, I find it hard to justify £45 for a pass to more than 1 days rallying ...........

K

[This message has been edited by Kev (edited 24-05-2000).]
Old 24 May 2000, 09:25 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Red face

It going the same way as Formula one: A sterile commercial cicus designed to make money.

The romance of all-nighters etc. went long ago, the rest of what makes world rallying special is slowly but surely going too.

Tossers.

Old 24 May 2000, 10:25 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Angry

Gobsmacked - totally Gobsmacked

I will be emailing the MSA and NetworkQ - point out they really don't want to be involved with something that will p*ss off many motoring enthusiasts to this extent.

If you read the blurb on the Network Q site - it suggests a main reason is to ease traffic. I've a revolutionary plan- Spread the Rally GB around Great Britain or at the very least The north of england. Amazing how stages in Chatsworth, Donnington, Kielder, Hamsterly, Grizedale, North Wales, South Scotland etc used to spread the traffic out.

The three days are now Fri, Sat and Sun now. South Wales won't cope with just 250000 specatotors. Most will now probably do all three days. Last year I suspsect like many I could only spare one day.

Unfortunately I think this is all too enforcable though. You are alwasy limited to Forestry commission carparks unless you are up for hiking serious mileage.

Ok how much do we all have to chip in for a SIDC helicopter (a nice chinook should do...) We can hop stage to stage and land inside the Police lines....

Dean

Old 25 May 2000, 01:15 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

YOYOYOY do the FIA insist on this stupid cloverleaf format - the media thats why! Can't be arsed to get out of bed and leg it round the country with the rest of us. Workshy b*******

Appologies to our Welsh brethren but it really is becomming the Rali Cymru!

The roads just cannot cope with the crowds and I think Sweet Lamb is getting to be OTT and someone is going to get killed (Sorry I mean Fireworks, not cars, as I'm in the biz, so to speak).

Having been involved in past RAC's to a decent level it sickens me to see the state of this years organisation

They (FIA) are obviously putting pressure on to reduce the problems in Spain, Argentina (Throwing huge rocks for F****s sake!) and Portugal (and we all know what they did for Group B) so I think the 'Oh so British' MSA are going a bit OTT themselves

Malcolm, (COC) you Irish Puff, get you're asre in gear!

[This message has been edited by CharlieWhiskey (edited 25-05-2000).]
Old 25 May 2000, 02:16 AM
swa
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Ok chaps & girlies - Is there any canvassing that can be done? There is nothing else for me to add ... only that I think it is ROLLOCKS!!! what the WANGKERS have done..

I guess we could all email the address listed above .... but is there not anything else that we can try collectively? .... instead of just complaining to ourselves ???
Old 25 May 2000, 10:49 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Unforunately, rallying has become more compact to keep costs down and therefore attract more manufacturers, which it has. The championship is more exciting now than at anytime in it's history. The price has been more congestion, as we all know.

There's no point moaning about the MSA keeping the rally to Wales, 'cos they just ain't gonna put it back to it's old format, ever. If it moves from Wales, they'll just have congestion in Scotland, or the North East.

I personally think that 250,000 is way below the mark for what can be sensibly managed, but at least they are doing something to try and ease the problems of previous years. Perhaps moving the rally to three weekdays may be a better idead though, to discourage the casual, one rally a year spectator.

Nobody complains about limited ticket availability for other sporting events, why should the Rally GB be different? Remember what happened at Hillsborough when too many people turned up? And remember Portugal in 1986. If that happens again, then that really will be the end of our sport.

I too loved it in the 80's when there were 50 stages and you could see 5 in a day, but those days are gone. They cannot return. Be constructive as to how the MSA can alleviate the problems, instead of slagging them off for trying and wishing for a something that will never happen.

As for the comments about paying nothing, and driving past the marshalls, that's dead clever isn't it? Let's all do the same, then they'll stop the rally altogether because the MSA won't be able to pay the Forestry Commision for use of the tracks.

Geezer

Quick Reply: All Ticket Rally GB