Sponsored by:

Replacement K & N filter, worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2004, 04:38 PM
David Brent
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm thinking about getting a straight replacement K & N air filter.
What benefits will it give me, if any, better performace/sound, economy.

Or should I go and spend £50 on a loose woman!!!

Thanks in advance
Old 03 January 2004, 05:02 PM
NewAgeWRX
Scooby Regular

Ive got a replacement K&N panel filter and I cant tell any difference at all, not even noise.

I got one really because exhaust and filters are the 'first' mod I always make to every car Ive ever owned. Exhaust on my MY02 has made a HUGE improvement (P.E. full system with sports cat) but as said filter is unnoticable, maybe +1 BHP or so on a rolling road?
Old 03 January 2004, 07:14 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

spend it on a tight woman(if you know what i mean)
Old 03 January 2004, 08:40 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

I fitted a Cotton 'Green' one to my WRX03. Can't tell much power difference but it sounds better when you put your foot down.

Old 03 January 2004, 08:46 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Ive got a Green air filter, you get a nice sound from it and can even hear the oe recirc, wheather or not its any quicker or just the sound thats making me think so is another matter!
Old 03 January 2004, 08:50 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

i agree with 16v mark
Old 03 January 2004, 08:50 PM
markbluemica
Scooby Regular

i have a itg it gives 60bhp more and takes a second of the 0-60

Trending Topics

Old 03 January 2004, 08:57 PM
markbluemica
Scooby Regular

that was a joke by the way i cant remember who did it but they compared all filters and rolling roaded each one i think there wasnt much differance 3-4bhp
Old 03 January 2004, 09:22 PM
David Brent
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the reply's, so its either the full monty from Leggy Linda down at Kings Cross or a "Green Filter".

Just another quick question. I looked under my bonnet earlier (third time in six months) to see whether it would be hard for me to fit myself. I undone two clips and then lost my bottle and put them back on again, is it easy to do. Any advice please......
Old 03 January 2004, 09:26 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

It might help you damage your MAF sensor prematurely, and then possibly destroy your engine!!!

ALL oiled filters CAN cause MAF (Mass Air Flow) contamination, so are possibly one of the worse modifications you can carry out on a Subaru Impreza. IMHO.

You have the possibility of causing serious engine damage 'IF' the MAF sensor starts to fail gradually.

Yet at best gain 2-3 BHP, more likely 1-2 BHP on a +200BHP engine!!!!

You would be hard pushed to measure the 'BHP gain'? on a rolling road let alone ever feel any benefit on the road.

Plus you have to tell your insurance comnpany you've modified your car, and pay an increased premium for no realistic power increase.

see here.
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=280288

If I remember correctly Prodrive STOPPED including an oiled filter as part of the PPP kit for the Classic impreza (MY94-00) but I cannot remember which model year caused the most concern.

The sensors are either wire or film types, but I forget which one is used on which model. But both can be affected by oil contamination.

All the above is just my opinion.

I feel that there is a LOT to lose (piston failure due to detonation, scrap engine £4000 + to replace with labour), and SO little to gain. A bit more noise, a couple of BHP.

Mind you the noises coming from an engine letting go should well be heard several streets away.

Cheers MTR
Old 03 January 2004, 09:35 PM
David Brent
Scooby Regular

MTR,
You have made me see the light, £50 for 2-3 more bhp which I wouldn't notice anyway.
Kings Cross it is then!!

Thanks

[Edited by David Brent - 1/3/2004 9:36:53 PM]
Old 03 January 2004, 09:48 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

This is a quotation from John Felstead on the linked thread.
I don't think he will mind me using this to help enlighten fellow Impreza owners.
It is several pages into the linked thread, which makes for some very uncomfortable reading.

As the saying goes, 'you pays your money and takes your choice'

Quote:
The crap MAF's are on MY99/00 only. The earlier MAF's are hot wire and they have a clean routine that burns the oil contamination you get with oiled air filters, they do fail, but no where near as often as the MY99/00 and they are safer to use after market filters with.

The MY99/00 MAF is a thin film type unit, it shouldnt be cleaned, it should be thrown away if contaminated. I think you should avoid using aftermarket filters with this MAF unless you have all the right monitoring tools on the car. I use a genuine STi air filter that flows more than enough air for most aplications, it's not worth increasing the risks to the engine as far as i am concerned.

The MY01 uses a diferent MAF again, this is much stronger than the MY99/00 unit. There have been some failures with this too, but again it seems less prone.

End of Quote:

Cheers MTR