Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Backboxes

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2000, 12:13 AM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only had my car for two months and am looking at a different backbox. There seem to be dozens to choose from, Scoobysport, Prodrive, Magnex, Scorpion, PE, HKS etc etc. Is there any real difference between them?

On my previous car (cosworth - shhh!) backboxes were common place, but mainly for aesthetic advantages. They didn't seem to make any performance difference, just made exhaust louder.

Is the same true for Scoobies? and given a better exhaust note to start with, does the make of box control the 'sound'? I am after the 'Group N' warble which is the best?

Dave
Old 04 June 2000, 03:23 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Best bet is to get yorself down to a meet in your area to hear them for yourself. I think the HKS may be a bit loud for some tastes and the Scoobysport seems to be very popular and sounds great wihout soundling like one of the max power crew.

As for performance, maybe its just me ,but with my Scoobysport back box the car feels a bit quicker but cetainly more respnsive.

AllanB
Old 04 June 2000, 05:00 PM
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Hi Dave,

I had the ScoobySport back box put on a couple of weeks ago and an ITG filter. The sound is spot on, not too loud, just a lovely low and powerful burble. A lot more torque, more responsive in lower revs, smoother acceleration and the car seems to breathe a lot easier, making gear changes smoother and downchanges less 'dramatic'.

Little noisier inside the car, especially on motorway journeys - but not enough to annoy.

It's the business, go for it.
Old 04 June 2000, 08:33 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave
Test so far have not given any decent impovement with just a backbox. Lucky to get an extra 5 to 10 BHP and on a 200 BHP car you will not notice this.
On the site:
Old 04 June 2000, 08:52 PM
P Latham
Scooby Regular

I have a scoobysport back box not only does it sound great look good it also gets rid of the flat spot at about 3500rpm. I hade a ram air filter fitted at the same time,so is it the backbox or the air filter or both? Who cares? It makes a difference and that is what counts!
Old 04 June 2000, 09:03 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 17 September 2000).]
Old 04 June 2000, 09:36 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I havent noticed any performance difference from my SS back box. In fact just the opposite I tend to drive a lot slower in the low gears just to hear the burble build up .

Sounds great from the outside on the couple of times I have heard it.

Cheers

chrisp
Old 04 June 2000, 09:43 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I think what Dave was asking was there any gains in just a backbox or was it just like the Cossie. I would say its just like the Cossie.
I had the Prodrive backbox and Ramair filter changed to the Scoobysport and K/N filter due to the problems Ramair were having with there filters. (mine went straight in the bin) The sound was slightly differant but no differance in power. I now have a T75 Downpipe and Center section with the Scoobysport backbox and a PE Phase 1 just to make it go a bit better. But the extra power is not that noticable. I have given many people the keys to my car just to put them off chipping it. They all say they can only just notice the extra power and is just not worth the money. Spend your money on the backbox just for the sound anything left then buy brakes.
Bob
Old 04 June 2000, 10:39 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bob,
you haven't still got the Prodrive backbox cluttering up your garage have you? Only I'm after a s/h one y'see.