Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Oil Leak on 1k miles MY03 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2003, 10:51 AM
Arthur Fowler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found that I had an oil leak on Christmas eve. So much so that it took 4 litres to get the level up to full on the dipstick. Too late to do anything about it before Christmas. Me - not pleased (and out of pocket for £30 of oil).

Rang my Subaru garage yesterday (by which time the oil had vanished off the dipstick again - I hadn't driven it in the meantime). Got carried there by Subaru Assist agent.

According to the garage, the ring (?) sealing the oil filter had snapped. The guy said that he hadn't seen it happen before. They replaced it and cleaned the engine.

Driven 20 miles today and there is a slight burning smell in the cabin. Car's been stationery for a few hours, and there appears to be a few drops of oil underneath it. I've just checked the oil level and it is between low and high, but closer to low than high. As the engine has been off for about 3 hours, I guess this isn't the ideal time to take a reading.

What do you think? Back to the Subaru dealer? I really don't want to as it is an hour's drive from where I am now, but if that's what the informed opinion of the board people is, then so be it. Will lead to grief with 'er indoors too as she is already none too impressed with the reliability of my new car.

Thanks
Arthur
Old 30 December 2003, 09:22 PM
Ian D
Scooby Regular

A few drops of oil may just be residual drips from the original problem - keep an eye on any further drips.

When you had the original problem and had to add 4 litres of oil did you have four litres of oil in a pool under the car?? If not then I would be worried about damage done to the engine running low on oil...
Old 30 December 2003, 09:33 PM
yoza
BANNED

Did you run it at anytime with the oil light illuminated on the dash?

Hope you didnt.

As has been said earlier the drips your getting are probably from the original problem. Try hot jet washing around the filter and undertray area, dont go mad with it though.

Never heard of a oil filter ring splitting, so I cant see it happening to you twice.
Old 31 December 2003, 08:52 AM
Arthur Fowler
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys,

I didn't have 4 litres of oil under the car, but I had left it for 2 days (stationary), so some might have leaked between paving stones etc.

The oil light didn't come on, but I believe that by the time the oil light comes on, damage might already have been done. Truth is, I could have been running the car with the oil level dangerously low, but I guess there is no way of knowing.

I rang the garage later on yesterday, they said that it was most likely residue from the earlier oil leak (they steam cleaned the engine and tray).

I'll go and check the oil level in a while and have a peer under the car again.

Thanks
Arthur
Old 31 December 2003, 09:00 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Your engine oil level is within normal tolerances. It's probably on the lower side of normal because problems have occurred with engine oil fouling delicate sensors if the level is too high. Just keep checking that the level doesn't get any lower. In fact, just cultivate the habit of checking the oil level very regularly- you know it makes sense.