Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you guys been having fun! (And a scientific approach to MPG)

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2003, 10:31 AM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Just got my STi8 PPP'd. For long and complicated reasons I got it done up in Huddersfield where I bought it (RN Golden is a fantastic dealership, by the way - they cannot do enough to help, they're friendly beyond the call of duty, the service is first class, and they really enjoy their Imprezas). I then had a short country drive back to the M1, and a long run down the M1, M42 and M40.

The short drive was disappointing. it was obviously slight quicker and much, much smoother in the power delivery, but it didn't feel exciting like it had done. I'd forgotten the ECU was new and having to learn all over again.

Then after 150 miles or so on the Motorway I pulled off the M40 and nearly broke my neck with whiplash when I made a sharp pull-out onto the roundabout. Wow! The ECU was now tuned in and having fun!

This car is just awesome, fantastic, unbelievable, amazing! All of you out there with similar must be having a whale of a time! The only thing I'd criticise is it is now so smooth that I have to watch the speedo even more closely because it is very, very deceptive. It maintains power over gear changes so much better, I don't need to hit the light at 6300 before changing up unless I just want to, and the burble is lovely

As for MPG. I've got a spreadsheet of the fuel consumption since I got it 11000 miles ago and I am continuing to track it. First impression is that I'm getting an 8% or so improvement since PPP. I'll keep tracking for another 5000 miles or so then anyone who wants to see the spreadsheet to get a feel for the improvement is welcome. Just email me and I'll put you on the list.

Oh, and one final item. Golden's put the boost gauge at the bottom of the pillar on the right-hand side of the windscreen. IMHO a much better place than on the steering column. It's nice to see the correlation between right foot and boost, too - that might even be helping fuel consumption on the long motorway runs.
Old 22 December 2003, 01:55 PM
Mcbrun555
Scooby Regular

A Spreadsheet of fuel consumption!

Who ever said Impreza drivers are geeks?
Old 22 December 2003, 02:34 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm... there's been a fair bit of interest in the past on this Forum on PPP effect on fuel consumption. So I measured it. How would you have recorded the results?

Merry Xmas all
Old 22 December 2003, 04:47 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
so what's the link with Thrust SSC?
Old 22 December 2003, 05:14 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Wait til the modifying starts getting serious.

My first tank of plain old optimax got me 16.37 MPG

can only get worse too.

Andy
Old 22 December 2003, 06:26 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

johnfelstead - I was part of the team that did it way back when. I just use the name for online Id's these days.

You anywhere near Coventry? Fancy meeting up, comparing Scoobys, and going to have a look at the car (and I mean a decent look, not some stare-from-afar that conservation forces museums to impose on the majority !!)?