Sponsored by:

Hong Kong Goodies

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2000, 01:14 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm heading for Hong Kong & Thailand for a couple of weeks at the end of July, am I likely to come across any bargains on my travels ? I'll probably pick up the odd software & designer bargains but should I leave room room in my suitcase for an HKS backbox or ECU because prices over there are so cheap ?

PS If anyone can recommend any decent accomodation in HK or north & south Thailand I appreciate it.

Kevin (STI3)
Old 01 June 2000, 01:56 PM
lpro
Scooby Regular

Aaahhh Thailand, what a place. If your on a budget, for good rooms, great bars and cheap travel throughout Thailand and Asia, Khan San Rd is the place. A room with air con would set you back a tenner.

Pat Pong rd is close by for a great market and of course those bars, be careful mind and take advice from People who have already been and visited. Just don't let anyone buy you a drink.

For northern Thailand, I take it your going to Chaing Mai. It's OK but there well into the tourist trap now, head for Chaing Rai, bit harder to get to but well worth it. Great treks, I did a trek with a guy called Johnny and he seems to arrange all of the treks around Chaing Rai.

Southern Thailand, stay away from Ph(f)ucket, another tourist trap and so I believe is Ko Samui(although they had just started to develop it when I was there) there is an Island just of Ko Samui, another boat ride called Ko (can't remember) but every month have what is called the Full moon party, if you can catch it well worth it. I think it around 19 - 25 (full moon time funny enough).

And lastley remember the old Thai motto, money talks and bull$hit walks.

Have fun.

By the way in hong Kong do not stay in Chunking Mansions(hellhole). And remember you can haggle in Shops.

Old 01 June 2000, 02:02 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Kevin,

You want to head over to Mong Kok in Hong Kong, but I can't remember the name of the road!! Look on a map, it's between the Mong Kok underground station, and Prince Edward railway station.

I didn't have a Scoob then!! , but lot's of goodies to be had there!

All the bits are close together, and very near all the car stereo shops!! Very near an outdoor football/basketball court!!

I'll find out and get back to you!!! A friend will be bringing in a map of Hong Kong tomorrow!!

Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Tang (edited 01-06-2000).]
Old 01 June 2000, 04:11 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

There's a shop near the junction between Waterloo Rd and Fa Yuen St, u can't miss it as there are always a few tuned Japanese cars parked outside.
There's also a shop situated in 76 Hak Po St (near Stanford Hotel), which is very near Fa Yeun St and Waterloo Rd. BTW, there are several shops at Hak Po St that sells tuning parts.
Hak Po St is situated near McPherson Football Ground, and is right in Mongkok.
Apart from tune-up parts, Mongkok is the place to shop for consumer electronics in HK. MD players and such like are very very cheap.
Old 01 June 2000, 04:47 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Clarence, that was exactly where I was thinking of!!
Old 01 June 2000, 04:56 PM
Chu
Scooby Regular

$2500(approx200 pounds!!) for a wrc rear spoiler not bad but was a pain to take on the plane!!
Old 01 June 2000, 05:29 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Don't bother with any preprogrammed ecu, it will be hardcoded for 100ron fuel. Bolt on fuel computers etc can be changed, so they should be ok, if that's your bag!
Old 01 June 2000, 10:47 PM
Andy Banks
Scooby Regular

Kevin,
The exchange rate is a bit crappy for u at the moment, used to be 1 GBP = 13 HKD, but now has gone down to 11 point something.
Might be different in July though.

You might be able to find some cheap goodies, but dont be surprised if the shop's service is terrible. I'm quite disillusioned about the lack of knowledge of some of those shops especially in mongkong area. I dont trust them anymore, but if u know exactly what u want should be OK.

Andy

Old 02 June 2000, 12:04 AM
Ken Ross
Scooby Regular

Try these people when you're there
<a href ="http://www.smartune.com/contact_detail.htm"> Smartune </a>

[This message has been edited by Ken Ross (edited 02-06-2000).]