Sponsored by:

Running in a brand new WRX with PPP

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2003, 11:47 AM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just bought my first ever scooby (03 WRX with the PPP). Can anyone explain to me why i have to try and keep it below 4k revs for the first 1000 miles. Its absolutely killing me!!
Old 14 December 2003, 12:32 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

So the engine will last and give good performance for the years to come
Old 14 December 2003, 12:49 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll agree with that
I believe the oil you have in it at the moment is a slightly thinner grade than normal to give the engine chance to settle.
Why don't you just go for a very long drive !! that's what everyone else does

Simon
Old 14 December 2003, 12:54 PM
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

Location: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...
It does help if you vary the revs and speed and go through the gears, not just sitting at 70 in top all day.
Old 14 December 2003, 04:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Everyone seems to forget about the rest of the car when running in....
Your not just running in the engine, your also running in the gearbox, the brakes, the diffs the bearings etc... you can rag the *** off your car from day 1 but it wont last as long as it should do (i always run my car in from day one, ive never had any problems doing so).

Tony
Old 14 December 2003, 04:48 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Not sure I understand this thread. I think I am right in saying that you run the car in for the first 1,000 miles and then go back to the dealer for the £40 first service / oil change and at the same time they fit the PPP package. I havent heard of anyone running their car in with the PPP fitted before.
Old 14 December 2003, 04:51 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Gary as long as the car is registered the PPP can go on any time. So yes you can pick it up with the PPP kit already on. My personal preference would be to run it for a few thousand then add it as you get the before and after effect. Guess its upto the individual though.
Old 14 December 2003, 04:56 PM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Im running mine in at the moment with the ppp fitted but i think you will find that the oil is the same grade as normal ive done 300 mile in mine so far but im taking to about 5k now
Old 14 December 2003, 09:04 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

Frenchboy - welcome to scoobynet.
I've had my 03 WRX PPP for two months now and done 5.5K. Run it in m8 or you'll pay later. The thing is you have to avoid heavy load be it high revving or labouring the car - just sort of drive about normally as if you had your girl friend in who was going to bollock you if you put your foot down too much.
Don't go on a motorway long run either because your bore's will glaze - you need to vary the speed and be changing up and down the gears. The heating up and cooling down effect also helps bed the engine and heat treat the various surfaces. A couple of weeks of patience and a 100 plus k of trouble free motoring.
Also PPP from new is fine if you take it easy but could theoretically help you sh@g it if you push it.

enjoy - you've got a great alrounder with the WRX PPP

barneyrubble
Old 14 December 2003, 10:04 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys!
I'm up to 700 miles at the moment. i'm taking it easy, definitely nowhere near the red line. have just done a motorway stint in it today due to necessary family commitments. i was supposed to be taking it to scotland this week - i take it this might not be a good idea before the 1k service?

one other question...
am i supposed to get a different exhaust with the PPP? (I thought you were, but mine is standard)

even though i am having to be restrained, i am seriously loving this car already. (I'm coming from a mark 1 Renault Clio 172) the handling is going to take some getting used to though, i'm used to lots of understeeer and a snappy backend.

Old 14 December 2003, 10:14 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Excuse me for a dumb question....... do i take it you are in uk or France as your name may suggest ?

Only you could improve the handling and tyre wear with the geomitry settings re-done at Power Station or T.S.L. (I believe thats the other)
Just do a search for it and read on, lots of info on those trust me. I have recently had mine done with new tyres and Eibach springs at P.S. and it has transformed the car completely.

Not sure about the pipe mate but i am sure someone will put you right.......
Welcome and Enjoy

Simon
Old 14 December 2003, 10:22 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Wink

I live in south bucks - french parentage though but don't hold that against me
Old 14 December 2003, 11:48 PM
Chris_
Scooby Regular

New UK Subaur's are delivered with thin running in oil and should not be revved above 3000 rpm at least until the first 1000 mile service where the oil will be changed. If you can bear the wait I would recommend at least 2000 miles before going above 3000 rpm.
Old 15 December 2003, 07:45 AM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

I did mention about the oil being different earlier but I dont think they believed me ..haha
Old 15 December 2003, 09:58 AM
Gubbins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chris_ - depends on which dealer you speak to...engineers at mine said 5K was fine, full on after 1K miles - I just drove it carefully - not accelarating too hard or braking too hard. Let's face it guys - tollerances are so much better on engines these days. The key thing in the past was bits of debris and metal floating around in the oil, doing damage. I'm really not sure this is so relevant these days. And as for 3K revs - where do you get that from? The manual says 4K. The main thing in running in is probably the rest of the kit - ie. brakes, etc. Mine was STI with PPP kit from day 1.
Old 15 December 2003, 10:03 AM
Dr Steve
Scooby Regular

Talking

I purchased my STi8 with PPP from new back in April - and it took only 4 days for delivery, when most where being quoted weeks. I kept below the recommended 4k RPM for the first 1000 miles - though this was very difficult at times.

When at the service I asked if they used special oil for the running in period, and was told they use standard oil.
Old 15 December 2003, 11:22 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

i had ppp from new on my 03 wrx wagon and was told to give it the odd blip of the throttle ,and that ***** footing round too much meant the ecu starts to think you will be driving like a coffin doger for the rest of its existence and goes into shock when you start flooring it at 1000 miles.

It least thats my excuse for straying up to to 5000 rpm and beyond a couple of times

[Edited by mattstant - 12/15/2003 11:25:16 AM]
Old 15 December 2003, 01:17 PM
jhrfc1
Scooby Regular

PPP definitely has a different exhaust, a single pipe approx 4", whereas standard car has twin peashooters.
I had PPP at 10k, so the engine would have settled and I could appreciate the extra oomph!

[Edited by jhrfc1 - 12/15/2003 1:19:18 PM]
Old 15 December 2003, 01:25 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

i think i will be opting to put my PPP on towards the summer so tha i can not worry about the back end moving on my new STi8 in this nice weather
Old 15 December 2003, 07:28 PM
martin_oleary
Scooby Regular

jhrfc1,

I'm thinking of doing the same as you (PPP at 10k) did you notice the extra oomph!?

Cheers