Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats all this about MY00's and uk cars being crap?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2003, 09:20 PM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Ok,

I have just been reading the thread 'are MY00's really this bad?'

Is this really a Subaru forum??? I mean we are all part of this 'scooby family', yet lots of us are starting to rant on about how their car is better etc, and how crap UK cars are. Well lets not forget that many of us, including myself have spent years saving to buy a uk scooby because when it was released in the 90's there was nothing else like it, and the car magazine's raved about them. I have grown up wanting a 'classic' impreza ever since i was a passenger in a legacy 4cam turbo, and i saw the impreza press pictures when it was released.

Now some of us have saved for these cars we love, and saved hard, so a UK turbo is the sound choice as it seems the safest way to spend our savings i.e Uk cars, warranty etc (peace of mind). I am frankly not in a position to spend £6,000-£9,000 on a un-warranted old Jap import, for it to go wrong, and have to shell out vast amounts of cash to replace parts. We also have to consider insurance etc, and for those who buy the top of the range impreza's (above £20k), respect to you, but please do not take the p1ss out of us who are not so fortunate.

We all drive Impreza's, no matter what version,they are all great to those that own them.

rant over

M.
(MY00 - that runs very well for a crap UK car!!)

Old 10 December 2003, 09:25 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

To make your crappy car uncrappy, get a decat and an ECU remap.
Old 10 December 2003, 09:28 PM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

Wink

I should have betted on a cocky TW*T replying.

Old 10 December 2003, 09:37 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with what you say.....although i drive a JDM WRX !!!
Old 10 December 2003, 09:39 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Well said Mrfibble!!

Lets get these wannabbeees chucked off the BBS - if you ain't got a REAL PROPER UK IMPREZA go and play on the RoyBacer Forums!!

Long live the standard UK Impreza, the KING of them all!!

Pete
Chairman of the SISI club of Great Britain
Branches opening across Europe
Old 10 December 2003, 09:39 PM
taffyterzo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I reckon your just a little bit peeved because you didnt get a nice sti 4 or 5, I know I am
Old 10 December 2003, 09:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

WHY??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

I must be missing something here - in 'real world' driving a STi and UK standard car will reach the front of the traffic jam at the SAME time!!

The difference is that the STi driver will have wasted LOADS of money doing it, be in a car that knocks all your fillings out, be filling up with Octane Booster and Aviation Fuel AND have a PINK badge on the front!!!!

Pete
Old 10 December 2003, 09:46 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Angry

Awww c'mon!!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

EVERYBODY knows that the Classic peaked with the MY99

Better wheels
Better performance

Cheaper too

HaHaHaHaHa!!

Dan
Old 10 December 2003, 09:54 PM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

hey come on guys!!! i don't want this thread to start more arguments.

My point was all scoobys deserve respect, we all drive basically the same car. lets respect each other, not slag each other off.

Old 10 December 2003, 09:54 PM
taffyterzo
Scooby Regular

Its the kick in the pants feeling you get from a powerful turbo'd car that does it for most people, and all I'm saying is that you get a bigger kick in pants in a more powerful car like an import sti than a uk turbo
Or of course you could spend twice as much on mods on a uk car in order for it to go like a wrx/sti import
Old 10 December 2003, 10:00 PM
taffyterzo
Scooby Regular

Mr Flibble, just to ad I've got a uk turbo and its my 4th, and the reason I've had 4 uk turbo's is that I like to play it safe, cause I dont really know much about cars (servicing etc) but if I did it would be a different story

[Edited by taffyterzo - 12/10/2003 10:01:42 PM]
Old 10 December 2003, 10:01 PM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

Taffyterzo - You are missing my point!!

Old 10 December 2003, 10:16 PM
taffyterzo
Scooby Regular

sorry! just getting that off my chest,
you are right they are all great cars and we should get allong without slagging each others cars off
Old 11 December 2003, 12:02 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mr Flibble, it wasn't a cocky reply

I have a classic, like you.

I always felt it was under powered in standard form, especially since my first ride in an Impreza was in one of the import flavours. Having Mondeos giving you a run for your money is no fun either - but obviously your milage might vary, excuse the pun.

So I stick by what I said.
Old 11 December 2003, 12:09 AM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Well said Mr Flibble - I have a Uk MY00 Tub and have had a love affair with Scoobs in general for aslong as I care to remember

o.k some are more powerful than others etc. but come on they are all built by the same company and I for one am proud to be the owner of a car that in my view set the standards during the 90's. Jap or UK - personally I don't give a cr@p - they are all scoobs and all deserve respect......what other car has achieved such cult status ? just my 2p worth
Old 11 December 2003, 07:57 AM
tonym
Scooby Regular

This forum is an eye opener. After reading it for a bit you end up thinking that any UK Impreza - STi or otherwise - is a totally underpowered slug which can only be redeemed thru modding! Which obviously isn't the case!
I guess its the same with all car forums (?) - the majority of active posters are going to be modders. I guess that reading a Porsche forum would leave one with the impression that the Porsche Turbo is a mild granny car in need of a remap and a decent exhaust!
Old 11 December 2003, 08:43 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mr Fibble - I agree entirely

UK cars a cracking bits of kit - all of them.

If you are referring to my posts re the MY00, then I stand by what I said. Its still a cracking car, just not *quite* as good as the MY99

Unless you value colour coding above driving experience.

Get hold of an earlier ECU, plug it in, and then come back and tell us about the difference.

(leaving aside the point that some MY00 cars *may* have had the earlier ECU for the moment)

D
Old 11 December 2003, 09:03 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

how can you tell what ecu you have??? can you tell by looking at it???

i've got an my00 turbo and love it as for the mondeo comment, tell any of them to come to the bottom of the cat and fiddle and meet me. i could have stopped and had a coffee by the time they got to the top. scoobs are far far superior to mondeo's.

gav..one very happy my00 uk turbo owner
Old 11 December 2003, 09:12 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

This thread is just so funny!!! Never had an Import, but two UK turbos..... MY 00 that was a hesitating piece of **** for the first 9 months, until we changed the AE802 for the AE801 ecu. Went lovely after that, with a decat and a dawes

Currently have a MY 99 (RB5 WRSport) and it has had a few mods including a remap. It's quite fast enough for me, and seems to keep up with a P1 no worries

This thread is based on the Jap import having more power as standard than a UK car right ? Is the Import running on Jap fuel, or Optimax / Super with octane booster ? Obviously the UK car would be running on UK fuel ? and wouldn't need the octane booster. Surely the Jap import will start knocking then retard the ignition, so wouldn't be running as good as it could do. Either that or the engine would blow a hole in a piston ? Can't see how they can be compared like for like. They are for different spec. for different markets. UK gears are higher for a top speed, for example. My mates RB5 (same spec as mine) was doing in excess of 168 mph the other day on a private road and was still pulling (thanks John Banks)

I think that UK and Jap imports are all great cars. I went for a UK car, as I had a Subaru UK warranty, and that's what I wanted!!!

Once the warranty runs out next september, I'll buy an STi 5 / 6 RA V-limited and "GET IT REMAPPED TO RUN ON UK FUEL PROPERLY"

Oh, and once tuned there are examples of UK / Euro spec cars running more than 400 BHP on standard internals, so who really cares ??

Just thought I'd add to this nonsense

Phill
Old 11 December 2003, 09:17 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I drive a UK and it's obvious to me that comparitively the UK cars are not to the same spec as the JDM cars. I however bought my car for the same reasons as yourself. I freely admit though that the jap cars are a better package.
Old 11 December 2003, 09:43 AM
PETENAUD
Scooby Regular

yes the jap cars are a higher spec and are more powerfull, girlfreind has a sti, me i have a uk model, but i dont have a problem going to a main dealer for parts. very happy with my uk spec.

I find the uk car better on motorways as well, more relaxed.

They are all great cars, if you start the "MINES BETTER THAN YOURS COS ITS GOT 20 BHP MORE AND FOLDING MIRRORS" then i think you are a boy racer in the making and should go and buy a nova with lexus lights and blue neon washer jets as punishment.

Old 11 December 2003, 09:51 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well said that Fib!

Some UK cars can shock Sti's.

But besides all of this 'mines better than yours' baloany, we all enjoy our own cars, for our own reasons - they're still a cult car whatever the type we drive.

Iain
Old 11 December 2003, 05:57 PM
Canuck
Scooby Regular

Well I drive a MY00 P1, and think that it'll do just fine.
Old 11 December 2003, 06:21 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

colour coding never happened on the pre99 UK turbos which makes them look cr@p,the interior was from an allegro and dash was from a lada.The parts are identical UK or Jap so that isnt an issue.If you want comfort in a UK car buy an Austin Princess Jap is far superior in every way warrentys arnt worth the paper theyre written on anyway

Enjoy

and pslewis before u pipe up have another worthers