Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! - 03 WRX Bonnet peeling!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2003, 05:03 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car is just over a month old and is a parallel import from Belgium in WR Blue. The bonnet laquer looks like it is starting to peel - the car hasn't even had its first (1k) service!!!! We are only talking about areas about the size of a 5 pence piece but loads of them - mostly on the off side area of the bonnet (which is the area I polish first...). Have I wrecked my car in one month? Cleaning schedule is: Jet wash, sponge wash and wax, Jet wash, allow to dry in garage, polish with Halfords Polish. I am terrified that the Subaru dealer won't honour the claim - can you give me any advice...I'm going on Tuesday for the 1k service - I'll get them to look then.
Old 10 December 2003, 05:23 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

You washed it
Old 10 December 2003, 05:49 PM
clarky1982
Scooby Regular

sounds like your bonnet has been repainted mate. may have been damaged on the way and painted before you picked it up
Old 10 December 2003, 05:50 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Has it possibly still got some of the protective wax coating on that wasn't removed before the car was delivered? May be nothing to worry about? I had a new car once with white deposits in the nooks and crannies where it hadn't been thoroughly degreased during the pdi.
Old 10 December 2003, 06:23 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

wash and wax could be the problem here, a lot of them leave fatty deposits that are really hard to get off again.

had problems with autoglym and some zip stuff on my 306, had to completely polish the car to remove the fatty depositis and not use cheap wash and wax. Oh give this a go first becuase if it is a waxy residue the dealer could charge you afterwards as it wasnt a fault.
Old 10 December 2003, 06:34 PM
f1
Scooby Regular

Location: yeah like ~I'm gonna put it on here and tell you !!!!
I'm no expert, but could it not be one of those (very technical here) protective films that you can buy at extra cost, similar to what was mentioned above ? (Armourguard or something like that)
Old 10 December 2003, 07:21 PM
ScoobXpress
Scooby Regular

Can't believe you could have done any damage with wash/wax... does suggest bonnet may have been resprayed without adequate preparation -> inadequate adhesion of lacquer.. probably not what you want to hear, sorry..
Old 10 December 2003, 07:28 PM
Italian Jobber
Scooby Regular

You may be able to reject the car if your quick enough but don't know if you get the same legal right seeing as it's belgian.
My dad rejected his BMW 5 series earlier in the year at 3 weeks old with excessive wind noise (turned out to be a twisted shell, 200 miles on the clock).
If I were you I would not say you have waxed the car at all, it was just warm soapy water ossifer, honest :-)
Old 10 December 2003, 07:30 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Using a jet wash too close can cause this, the water can get under the paint via a stone chip and lift the paint if the jet wash is used too close.
Seen it before on a civic type r.

Dipster
Old 10 December 2003, 07:53 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Unhappy

The car does not possess any stone chips...yet...

The cheapo wash 'n' wax sounds promising - I changed shampoos to a wash and wax that supposedly didn't strip the wax off - Turtle wax. The area concerned is only the bonnet - the lower bumper valance was resprayed due to scratches from being removed from the transporter (done under warranty before I collected the car). A mate reckons it could simply be polish trapped under polish??? The car has had three wax coats in the last month.

This is pretty galling when I have spent hours trying to protect my baby
Old 10 December 2003, 08:00 PM
Italian Jobber
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

What you need mate is ZYMOL!!!
They do a paint restorer that is like a very fine T-cut. Used it on my 03WRX and can say it is fantastic. it even removes the very fine scratches caused by the Autoglym resin polish.
I'm converted, well worth a try.
Old 10 December 2003, 08:26 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Put a message out on the SIDC board as someone had the same problem with their new car (same area on bonnet and the same colour
i think ).
I am pretty sure he took it back to the dealers who agreed it was a fault and had it repaired under warranty.

steve.
Old 10 December 2003, 09:06 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Too late now, but I was always told not to wax a car until the paint had thoroughly hardened - which takes a few months. Don't know what effect it would have, though. Hope you get it fixed, m8.