Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice required - Buying my first Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2003, 07:21 PM
OLLYH
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am 99% certain that I will buy my first Scooby this week. I just need convincing that final 1%.

I am looking at a 01/02 WRX 2.0 litre turbo model with the headlamp conversion. Please accept my appologies for my ignorance. I am no car expert but these things seem to go like sh*t and look great. Is there any advice when buying a scooby that may help me? ie. Am I doing the right thing going for this model etc...... I have approx £13500 to spend, any other suggestions?
Old 09 December 2003, 07:35 PM
PETENAUD
Scooby Regular

get it checked out and get an hpi report. think an aa check and report is about £100, but if you dont know a lot about them it could be worth £13000!

And dont get ripped off by a dealer

best of luck.

Old 09 December 2003, 07:38 PM
OLLYH
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for that, my local dealer seems to have a few available at fairly reasonable prices. Is it not worth a few extra quid for the piece of mind?
Old 09 December 2003, 07:39 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Welcome Mr new person! you should be able to get a decent motor for that sort of money, A full subaru history is a must, try to find one with a PPP already done! and as with any car the fewer miles the better. Don't rush into a purchase there are loads about, have you thought about an import? A classic? no doubt there will be more people posting info and advise so listen in and take notes!!
dave
Old 09 December 2003, 07:48 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

Olly

Welcome to sccobynet m8

other guys on here know better than me as I'm pretty new but there are quite a few very heavily modded cars available with loads of extra's and also Jap imports which tend to be a higher output.
Depends what you are going to use the car for but if it's more than just a weekend toy and you don't really know too much about scooby's this is my opinion:

Modded cars can be great but unless you know your apples and the history of the car be very careful - I would choose the most standard car I could (with my limited knowledge and experience)or dealer modded with a warranty validated PPP enhancement (Prodrive Performance Pack).

Jap imports and modded cars tend to need Optimax, SUL and octane booster to run without damaging the engine therefore not practical for big miles. Also will be very uneconomical which to weekend users and enthusiasts is OK but comuting or big miles - forget it.

Don't get too influenced by the guys whove got bored of the "standard performance" of a WRX!, sometimes you can start to bekieve that unless you've got 300bhp plus your car is ****e, not so the standard car is still a belter and you can go from there in the future if you get bored!!

Overall the Impreza WRX is a great value performance car that has afantastic following and is heaps of fun.

I would go for the newest lowest mileage most standard (with headlapmp conversion) 01/02 you can get and enjoy it - you can do your own upgrades once you know what you want.

Enjoy.

barney
Old 09 December 2003, 07:50 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You'll probably get a better deal and a better looked after car by buying privately from the for sale forum here
Old 09 December 2003, 08:12 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Barney rubble
Bedrock, is that Bedworth.....??
Old 09 December 2003, 10:32 PM
OLLYH
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I'm likely to go for the standard 01/02 WRX and will consider modifications at a later date. I'm sure it will be fast enough for me!

Any advice on insurance Direct Line seem cheapest, then Tesco. Any suggestions?
Old 09 December 2003, 10:41 PM
John P
Scooby Regular

Wink

Many posts mention the dreaded insurance. Check on what it will cost with various models. The cost differences may change your decision on what you can afford. Personally with Liv + Vict full no claims MY00 £600 a year, very few mods
Good luck and have fun
Ps remember to clean your teeth, you will be smiling a lot when you get to work
Old 10 December 2003, 08:07 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Thumbs up

Welcome to the world of Scoobies , good time of year to buy , as the dealers are sitting around playing with their thumbs at the moment (not many people wanting to spend 13k on a motor 2 weeks before Christmas)so bargain hard .Try to drive a few as I did because I think one of the ones I test drove was quite poor (just didn't seem to have that grin factor).I am insured with Churchill (about £560 fully comp) but they wont touch modifications .Check out the tyre wear on the front tyres , as they can be prone to wear on the inside edges(the bit you can't always see easily ).This might indicate the geometry needs setting up wich is worth getting the dealer to do before you pay up .Apart from that ....have fun

Dave
Old 10 December 2003, 08:53 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Hmmm - hello my namesake!

All in all good advice there! Personally for a first scooby or one that is a daily driver I went for one from a dealer. It is an MY00 but I got 2 years extended warranty on it.

Bargin hard as mentioned, if you are trading in, take your car to a dealer of the same make as your current car, as for trade in they will always give more (Pug offered me over £500 more for my old GTi), this will give you an indication of the sort of trade in price to be looking for (also worth a look at Parkers ).

I didn't haggle too hard on the price of the car itself, but pushed to keep my trade in value high and then asked for stuff to be thrown in to the price that I wanted (you can't take the **** too much and expect things thrown in and a lower price). I have a wagon (for the dog) so got a proper Scooby dog guard thrown in (£120 worth) and a few other odds and ends.

As previously mentioned, the factor is what you want the car for, daily driver or weekend fun, that can be the big decider on what to go for.
Old 10 December 2003, 06:08 PM
OLLYH
Scooby Newbie

Again thanks for the advice, some really helpful stuff! I will be using the car mainly for weekend fun, I only do about 8000 miles per annum. Although I'm sure this will increase when I get my Subaru. I also have a dog (OllyK), but I decided I'd protect my back seats rather tahn go for the wagon.
Old 10 December 2003, 06:36 PM
PETENAUD
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

no doubt you get a warranty, but read it very very carefully, some are not worth the paper they are written on.

I know this cos a) i work in the motor industry and b) got caught out muself a few years ago with a piece of Cr£p, 20 miles over the service milage and lost the warranty.

Just cos its a main dealer dont mean its a good car, would not go near my local main dealer as they are overpriced and over 2 years old they did not want/seem to care unless you wanted a new one.

Agree you could prob get a much better deal buying private and get yourself your own warranty, the aa thing (i know its not a warranty as such) is quite good.

Shop around