Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

controversy! jdm sti8...remap for 98ron or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2003, 10:53 AM
my01wrx_anon
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok after having a good chat with someone about this, i have been told that the jdm sti8s and spec c do not need a remap for fuel. They run quite well on optimax.

What do other people think about this? all i seem to read is that you need optimax, remap and octane boosters

The person i was chatting to obviously well knows his ****, he is well respected in importing and he has a number of TOP CLASS evos and subarus, including s202s, spec cs, and jdm stis, now you might think its cos hes selling them, but to many things contradict that, hes been in business a long time and i havent dug up anything bad about this person so obviously is not fewking people about, a remap is not expensive so its no big deal, and he gives a no messing warranty on the cars he sells, if he thought not remapping them would cause some problem he would just be trying to get rid, like some of the importers giving 3 months warranty. But this doesnt seem to be the case, seems a very reliable outfit from what i can see. I am thinking of going for jdm sti my next buy or a spec c

So whats the word on this with anyone else in the know?
Old 07 December 2003, 11:02 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

He said the same to me awell when I was enquiring about a JDM STi, I believe him but if Bob Rawle can map a car to produce more power and at the same time make it run sweeter on SUL then I would prefer to go the re-map route.
Old 07 December 2003, 11:15 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

I think the ECU can pull enough timing etc to cope but why not remap and get the full benefit of the better engine?

"IF" I get an STi or Type C i'll be running Optimax with booster until I can get her remapped. Why quibble over a few quid for safeties sake?

Nathan..

Old 07 December 2003, 11:18 AM
my01wrx_anon
Scooby Newbie

i wouldnt mind myself, i mean laying out for a remap but i was told that if i buy one messing with the ecu is a big no no as it will affect the warranty. I guess im getting down to does it really need to be done or not, i beleive so far that it wont make to much if any difference