Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone went from MY02 to MY03 STI type UK.....was it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2003, 07:13 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just wanted some opinions on any of you who decided to change from an MY02 STI Type UK to the New MY03 STI Type UK.

Was it worth it? Any noticeable difference in performance & handling? Did you regret the change? Did you lose a lot of cash (you don't need to say how much)?

I'm wondering if we're about to see a repeat of last years pre MY03 price cuts - anyone heard any more on potential Solberg limited edition or an MY04 facelift?

Has the MY04 SWRT WRC car been unveiled yet?

Thanks in advance

Den

[Edited by Big Den - 12/4/2003 7:14:41 PM]
Old 04 December 2003, 07:31 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Den, Ive got an '02, and last night I was in Alan P's '03, essentially both cars are the same, the biggest differences are the seats, the '03's are no way as good as the 02's in holding you in, you feel as if you are sitting on them rather than in them. Alan told me that he uses the steering wheel to brace himself in the twisties, something I certainly don't have to do in mine. The headlights, are projectors in mine, normal reflective in the '03 the quality of the lightoutput can't be compared. Mine has progressive rate springs and 18's, so the ride was less jiggly. In all other respects, I couldn't detect any difference between the two. Hope this helps

[Edited by JGRIFF - 12/4/2003 7:33:52 PM]
Old 05 December 2003, 08:56 AM
ChrisJD
Scooby Regular

I have had both cars, and to be honest there is very little difference between them. The small changes made to the MY03 are not really noticable in normal driving. The steering is the only real difference that I noticed, but then how much of that is due to the slightly smaller steering wheel, I'm not sure. As to the head lights, I found the MY02 awful! the beam was very well controlled, but very short, which was un-nerving as it made it difficult to see the road ahead. The MY03 is a little improved.

I found the seats to be the same, only the mateial pattern was different(better in the MY02).

I was unfortunate to have been forced into the change by an old dear who drove head on into my 02 STI, so didn't feel the financial loss, well not in the normal way, still cost me money though.

Goog luck whatever you decide, in my opinion, the only reason to change would be the exterior styling, and I wasn't put off by the MY02 STI looks and didn't think the MY03 was a major advance.

Chris.
Old 05 December 2003, 09:24 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

I did find the handling a little better in the 03 the smaller steering wheel is a bonus, the downside is that the seats are not as supportive.
Old 05 December 2003, 09:50 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The seats are mounted higher in the 03, I could get the 02 seats almost on the floor, the 03 is less adjustable. TBH IU think other than the material they are the same seats.

The big differencxe was the handling, the 02 steering is so vague compared to the 03. The 03 is much much sharper.

I changed because I went to test a new Evo8, got the new car bug and eventually settled on the scooby again. Cost me 8k to change, but added PPP, 18" FF7, jdm tints. The 02 was 18 months old and had two owners.
Old 05 December 2003, 08:53 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input so far but, come on guys there must be more of you who have gone the STI7 to the STI8 route & can share their opinions.

Cheers

Den
Old 05 December 2003, 09:12 PM
BoyseySTi
Scooby Regular

I went down this route (even managed a TT Roadster in between for the summer) ... Difficult to compare to be honest as I got the PPP on the STi8 aswell as 18" rims and some other goodies.

Cosmetically I never really liked the STi7 but had owned a couple of Scoobies before and then went to an Evo VI so fancied going back again. Howver, I REALLY like the look of the STi8 and am really happy that I went with Black instead of blue for a change!

I would agree with some of the comments regarding the sterring feels much better on STi8 but then not sure if any of that is down to the 18" wheels? The PPP makes a HUGE difference and transforms the car, whatever you do get this installed!

The 'bounce-bounce' springs on the STi8 you may have read about on some threads is also somewhat annoying sometimes although the Prodrive spring kit is not much money and seems to be well received by those that changed.

I lost a shed load on the STi7 although in this day any new or nearly new car loses heaps in no time, the good old days of rock solid Scooby residuals are long gone!

If you are considering changing from a standard STi7 to a standard STi8 then unless you love the look of the STI8, for the cost, frankly I wouldn't bother. But, if you take the opportunity to get a good deal on a PPP car at the same time then DO IT!

Apologies for the war and peace ...

Boysey