Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.8GLX Automatic Impreza, advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2003, 01:24 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi peeps. I know most of u are turbo guys but dont know who else to ask as any search for imprezas brings up WRX this n that etc.

Im eye'ing up (as a family car not fun car as I already have 1 of them ) a Black '94 M 84k miles automatic 1.8GLX impreza, got turbo wheels and a low loevel spoiler. looks really clean etc. how reliable are subarus "ordinary" cars, anything about the AUTO u know about? anything in particular to look at?

cheers guys

Dave
Old 01 December 2003, 01:38 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

I have a 2litre auto sport, and that has done about 93K, the auto box is quite good. It can get a bit confused on REALLY STEEP hills, when it does not know which gear it wants to be in and keeps changing up and down, but to can over come this by manually selecting 2nd, and then it will keep you in that gear rather than selecting third if you ease of the accelerator a bit.

From a standing start you will have very little accerleration till you reach the higher part of second gear, but when rolling the kick down is good, and the power mode will take you within a knats whisker of the rev limiter in every gear.

This is the first Auto I have owned, and believe me I am not a grandad(What everyone thinks autos are for) at only 23!!!!! To me it is a great way to drive, and I have no real complaints with it, as far as what to look out for? Well (touch wood)I have had no problems so do not know what are the signs of it going wrong. Just check it selects all the gears and that the kick down works. And drive it hard for a few minutes and check that the AT-Temp light does not come on.

Other than that have fun and enjoy.
Old 01 December 2003, 01:41 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

cool, Im too 23, I have driven our company saab numerous thousands of miles thats automatic and it doesnt bother me in the slightest, do like the auto's, I have my 200BHP R5 for changing gears in lmao.

sounds like it could be a fairly relibale type of car then, wasnt sure if the subarus ordinary cars (not top of the range imprezas etc) were unreliable and tacky.
Old 01 December 2003, 01:46 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

The build quality on all the range is about the same. The sport has almost the same engine as the turbo minus the turbo, so that is stressed much less and so should last a lot longer? Not sure if the 1.8 is the same engine just with smaller bore on the cylinders. If it is then it should be more or less bomb proof. If it has turbo wheels then the handling should be fairly good aswell.
Old 01 December 2003, 01:47 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

If you want to talk to the none turbo boys then log onto http://www.imprezasport.net Think there are a couple of 1.8 owners on there!!
Old 01 December 2003, 01:51 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

sounds good then

thanks for the link
Old 01 December 2003, 02:20 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Smile

My 1.8 has been fine,although mine's a manual. The starter motor went, & there's a spot of rust around the front wings & boot lid (wagon), but that's all.
There's a reasonable amount of power there; 101bhp. Goes ok though - 11 ish seconds 0-60, I'm told. Mine also has the gold 16s; a fair amount of grip, & handles well. Just don't get one with the normal wheels, as they look **** .

Take it for a spin

Trending Topics

Old 01 December 2003, 02:23 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

will be going for a test drive wednesday dinner time. too busy today, was already late for work
Old 01 December 2003, 02:46 PM
Soobmeister
Scooby Regular

Dave - not many of them about as far as i know but i've not known of any problems with the one's we've sold.
Old 01 December 2003, 03:04 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Soobmiester, the 1's youve sold??? see ur in grantham, not chandlers by any chance is it?
Old 02 December 2003, 12:41 PM
Soobmeister
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sure is mate, for my sins!!!
Old 02 December 2003, 03:03 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

on autos the duty solenoid can go which causes juddering going around corners and sometimes loss of 4wd so just make sure that it doesnt judder and you cant spin the rear wheels on take up
Old 03 December 2003, 02:19 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

hello again, been for a test drive this dinner time, the car seems to be really nice. its defoa 4wd, whats the fuel consumption gonna be like with a auto/4wd? everything seems to work and was very impressed, didnt pull to well trying to get to 60 and if anything engine sounded a lil on the noise side after 4k revs but it was left in econ mode I forgot completely about that being on but once there it cruised quite nicely.

almost 100% set on this car now just the fact that fuel might be a bit worying from going from a sensible 1.4 saxo to a 1.8 auto/4wd...