Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Its raining, my boot leaks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2003, 09:00 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I know most of you will think that it is something to do with the rear light clusters not being sealed properly..
No, no! With the boot lid raised i can clearly see water dripping in roughly from the bottom right corner of the rear window. On the inside thats to the right of the boot raising arm.

I tried some silicone seal (as used on baths) but after applying it under the rubber window seal discovered that the seal "does not like frost" as said in the small print on the bottle (DOH!!!)

I did try Autoglass but they said they would have to take the rear window out to re-seal it and couldnt guarantee that it wouldnt break!!! They then said that a new rear window (Type-R) is hard to get hold of and would cost circa. £500

Any ideas? With all this winter weather ahead of us I need to get it sorted quick!

thanks

Nick
Old 30 November 2003, 09:10 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i thought all the rear windows with the rear wipers were the same?
Old 30 November 2003, 10:31 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

hmm silicone sealant not working!!

my wifes sunroof did the same, i dug out all the old crap and sealed it with i believe glazing silicone the stuuf that goes in white, but dries clear.... gotta be frost resisitant cos its for windows to date 12 months now no leaks

did you apply the silicone when it was cold or frosty should be a dry day at least

Mart
Old 30 November 2003, 11:01 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I think i need to get some proper window sealant. The stuff I used was for bathrooms.
I have no garage either which is a pain in the **** now.
Gotta wait for a dry day when I'm not at work. Damn!

Nick
Old 30 November 2003, 11:09 PM
SeanJames
Scooby Regular

First of all you should never ever use silicon as it attacks the bond used on scoobys and can make your problem worse,and second if you want to call Autoglass back and ask them if they are giving you a price for a BXRR (trust me ;-) say it as B X R R )
If so then that is a quote on a remove/refit HRW which by rights they cant refuse to do and WOULD be accountable for braking it.
Or call the head office on 0800363636 and complain,ask for customer services,its worth a go-- you never saw me RIGHT !!

Hope that helps.
Old 01 December 2003, 03:55 AM
AK47
Scooby Regular

I had this with my STi8.

Subaru service peeps tightened everything they could in the boot area and it seemed ok after the water test...no leak. Then the problem came back a few hundred miles later (there was this annoying vibration noise from the back shelf). The guys then decided (should have done this inthe first place) to have a proper look around and found that that the rear window was loose or that the silicon wasn't doing it's thing. They took out the rear window and resealed it again. The job took a day to complete and all is well now.

Good luck