Sponsored by:

Heater Smoke??

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2003, 09:42 PM
JohnMc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Help!! Last night the heater in my Impreza wouldn't claer the windscreen and there was a funny smell in the car, I drove home(about 5 miles) and thought it was just the thermostst stuck or something, but tonight i needed the car to collect parts over the raod and jumped into the car but a couple of miles down the road the blower started blowing fumes and smoke into the car.So i pulled in and switched it off for awhile, then headed back and parked it up in the garage. There's nothing visible burned or melted.
Any ideas as i'm a newbie scooby owner.
Cheers
John
Old 26 November 2003, 10:07 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

Was the funny smell a bit like caramel ? is it possible the smoke was steam ? are the footwell carpets wet ? if the answers are yes it sounds like your heater matrix has failed.
Only way to effect lasting repair is to change it ( about £230 ) plus fitting. Or get a second hand one GradeA ?? It took me 3-4 hours to change mine with a bit of servicing too.
A temporary repair which MIGHT work is to put a radiator sealer in the matrix ( pipes are under intercooler ) and warm the car up gently but as I say its a temporary fix if it works. Shortterm to just run the motor you could bypass the matrix but you wont have any heat in the car.

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 26 November 2003, 10:37 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

John I agree with Big500's diagnosis as the same thing has happened to me

If you are interested I have a UK 98 on heater matrix (its actually from what I am told is a 97 WRX but describing the part to grade A they advise this is for the 98 on models)for sale as I bought the wrong part for mine mail me if your interested

good luck with it Alistair
Old 27 November 2003, 11:37 PM
JohnMc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Lads. I brought it over to the Mechanics tonight and found out it's the heater rad that's leaking and it was spraying anti-freeze on the windscreen! My god what a job! we had to strip the whole dash and what comes with it outta the car to get it out. I think I'll fit a new one because I never want to do it again.
Once again thanks for the help
Cheers
John
P.s Allistar is it a new one? If so I'll contact you If I cannot locate one here in Ireland. Thanks.
Old 29 November 2003, 09:29 AM
gav888
Scooby Regular

My friend had the same prob in her cavalier, every time you turn the heaters on it smoked, and the windows would clear.

Answer was the heater matrix was nackered and leaking coolant. Thats what is coming into the car, hence your windows not clearing. Havent a clue on price though, but was about a ton for the cavalier!!
Old 29 November 2003, 10:04 AM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

I have just had my matrix replaced, same problem with steam. Job carried out by Midland Impreza, cost £252.00.

Good job done......

Cheers
Old 29 November 2003, 05:05 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

I did mine myself but the matrix from Subaru ( UK 98 Wagon ) was £235 inc vat so I would say you got a bargain

Steve