Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic WRX Sti Owners - WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2003, 01:55 PM
tporteruk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please see message under 'insurance' - anyone who owns a classic WRX Sti 4 door and is insured with L & V probably IS NOT INSURED!
Old 26 November 2003, 02:00 PM
BlackScoobyWRX
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Fookin' 'ell - good job I'm with Axa !!
Old 26 November 2003, 02:07 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
believe you me, whats quoted on my insurance certificate matches exactly what my car is,(STi 4dr) it is therefore insured, as i posted B4, i cannot understand why they are picking on you after the other 2 peeps i advised with the link, recd a quote quite happily
Old 26 November 2003, 02:13 PM
tporteruk
Scooby Regular

Andy - according to L & V, if you have got 'WRX' before the STi then YOU ARE NOT INSURED - it's wacky and I can't get my head round it but that is the reality! Told them that all classic Sti's were WRX's (if they were JDM) but it makes no difference.
Old 26 November 2003, 02:15 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

when you say WRX B4 STi, where are you talking about the logbook or the bootlid?
Old 26 November 2003, 02:17 PM
tporteruk
Scooby Regular

Either or
Old 26 November 2003, 02:18 PM
tporteruk
Scooby Regular

Should have mentioned that they made a big thing about INVALID CLAIMS if it was not an exact match - could be looking for a way out of settling future claims.

Trending Topics

Old 26 November 2003, 02:41 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

I have to say, my logbook actually quotes Impreza GL my car does not say WRX anywhere, just STi on the boot & the sides, i think you must have got some plonker on the other end mate im sorry to say, if you car is an STi then quote its just an sti, the WRX bit IMHO is irrelevant
Old 26 November 2003, 02:52 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

Surely this must be illegal on the insurers side as they are selling insurance with your correct details and then not holding to there side of the bargain with invalid policies???? wether it as wrx or not is not the subject its an STI and thats it. Best thing to do is speak to the insurance branch director of l&v and they will sort out for you.

Darren
Old 26 November 2003, 02:58 PM
tporteruk
Scooby Regular

Good advice Darren - I have spoken to 3 different telesales people and all said the same - the last guy I spoke to owns an Sti Type R 2 door himself - he said they get car info from ABI and he knows it is wrong but thats the way it is! To be honest I am sticking with Direct Line - they are only slightly more expensive than L & V (because I am 40!) but at least I know they will pay out. Problem is most Scoob owners care about their cars so much they never have need to claim - I would rather not test this with L & V now.
Old 26 November 2003, 03:05 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
Angry

My logbook says GL instead of WRX. I sent it back to the DVLA explaining it wasn't a GL and haven't seen the kin thing since
That was in August.
Old 26 November 2003, 05:23 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
L&V have a stupid policy of not insuring JDM spec cars if it doesnt match their database to the letter.

They wont insure my WRX STi5 TypeRA Limited yet they will insure an STi5 TypeR and even a 22B. The reason, because they dont have that particular model by the letter, on their system.

The fact is, all JDM STi spec cars, including the 22B arnt covered and shouldnt be offered for cover using their rules, because the 22B is oficially called a Subaru Impreza WRX STi4 TypeR 22B, but you try explaining this to the underwriters at L&V, i have and they dont want to know. Bunch of muppets.
Old 26 November 2003, 05:35 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

If that is the case it must open up a lot of opportunities for legal action against them.If you give them all the correct details and they supply you with an insurance certificate with all the correct details they havent got a leg to stand on surely
Old 26 November 2003, 06:52 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
They wouldnt stand a chance if you took them to task with the insurance onbudsman, as they are currently insuring cars that technically dont exist.

I doubt they would refuse a claim on this basis, it's anoying you cant get cover because of their stupidity though.
Old 26 November 2003, 08:09 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Direct Line pay out ?

Think not!

Try, get you a CCJ due to their failure to respond to the other party's insurer (in a cliam that wasn't your fault), not bother to turn up to court proceedings etc despite many phone calls from me etc, and then don't actually do anything until the balifs are coming to take my stuff for non payment.

I wouldn't use Direct Line again if they were the last insurance company on the planet, I'd sooner walk !
Old 27 November 2003, 12:02 AM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

My WRX was originally registered as a 2.0 GL, so I sent back the reg docs, and it's now an Impreza WRX (import). I didn't need to send anything to the DVLA to back-up having the model changed.

Now what's to stop someone registering a car as a TypeR instead of a TypeRA? Technically the reg document would be wrong, but to the non-scooby enthusiast, who would know? Enough people on here get confused between R's and RA's anyway!!

What I am trying to say is - it seems a bit mad that they have to have a model on their database that exactly matches your reg doc, when there seems to be a fair amount of ambiguity in how JDM cars are registered in the UK by the DVLA.

I'm not sure how much premiums between different models varies, but you would have thought a bit of common sense could be applied?? (sorry, forgot we were talking about insurance..... )
Old 27 November 2003, 12:18 AM
spufus
Scooby Regular

L & V would not insure my STi V5, 5 door 'cos it's not on their list.
If it was a 4 door or a 2 door all would be OK.
Everything must fit their criteria exactly, even if it makes no sense to the people who pay.
Old 27 November 2003, 12:21 AM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Why not send a petition or similar to the ombudsman pointing iout what their doing? Cal
Old 27 November 2003, 02:17 AM
Zeolite
Scooby Regular

quote "To be honest I am sticking with Direct Line - they are only slightly more expensive than L & V (because I am 40!) but at least I know they will pay out."

oh no you don't check out Foz's thread in the Scotland section.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=272484

[Edited by Zeolite - 11/27/2003 2:21:46 AM]
Old 27 November 2003, 11:23 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Ill stick sharp things in my eyes before I ever insure with DL!
I had to go to the GISC to get back up for a discrepency in my insurance, finally, with the additional might of GISC did they back down and the money was paid to me!

a cold day in hell etc.
now with L&V, mods and track days all ok and £50 a year cheaper to boot, oh and mrs Peanuts is a freebie name on the policy as well.

DO NOT GO WITH DIRECT LINE FOR ANY INSURANCE AT ALL, it seems someone in their office thought they could turn a profit by refusing ALL claims for any reason, only now with people fighting back are they paying out at all, and even then its late and done so begrudginly.
Old 27 November 2003, 12:16 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Think you will find that that you can always find somebody who has had a bad experience with just about any Insurance Company. Bad news travels far faster than good!

I was insured with Direct Line with a VW Scirocco. Got rear end shunted while stationary and it wrote the car off (from a financial perspective rather than actual damage, the car still passed its MOT). Direct line paid out in a couple of weeks and said I could keep the car - bonus, traded it in against a new car and used the Insurance cash to cover the rest.