Sponsored by:

Why is it so hard to sell my impreza?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2003, 04:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Everyone who has seen her says she's immaculate but ive had her up for sale now for nearly 2 months and its approaching new car time so shes looking at going in the autotrader (test pilot heaven )
Is my scoob over priced considering my mate got 9.5+ from a subaru dealer in part ex on a new my03? (it had nearly twice the milage and has been attempted theft, crashed, new engine etc).
Its getting depressing now i think but i do have one last thing apart from the trader up my sleeve (a part ex also).

Tony
Old 21 November 2003, 05:58 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tony

It's most cars in general mate
Old 21 November 2003, 06:10 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Tony please don't feel as though I am knocking your asking price but don't Euro Imports (such as yours) generally go for £2k less than UK models?
If this is the case you should be expecting to get about around the £11k mark.
I know that price isn't what you were expecting but I think that is what you should expect and not set your hopes for a UK model price.
Good luck
Old 21 November 2003, 06:11 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

Christmas is just round the corner, interest rates going up, money is tight and this time of year is especially hard to sell cars.
Old 22 November 2003, 11:14 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Autotrader isn't much better! My MY99 with 56k miles is in there for £8995ono and hasn't so much as raised a single call! On this basis the car is probably only worth about £7.5k!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 November 2003, 11:58 AM
GuyM
Scooby Regular

Wrong time of year to sell a car like that mate. If you were selling a £300 Nissan Micra, It may sell.
Old 22 November 2003, 12:04 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

know what you mean mate! i had one fella email for my uk300 he was willing to give me 3 grand and a yamaha r1 with 'loads a mods and ramair'
Old 22 November 2003, 12:28 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

PMSL @ stormyuklondon1
Typical scooobynet dreamer then.
Old 22 November 2003, 12:35 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The car is worth what the market will pay.
The Scoob is no different to any other car.

I've just sold my 2 year old 51 reg Alfa 156 Selespeed Veloce.

It had a list price of over £20000 when new, has covered 20k miles, hasn't got a single scratch or ding on it, never been through a car wash, polished, etc. etc.
I got £7500 for it.

The used car market is pants at the moment.

Lee
Old 22 November 2003, 01:14 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day its coming up to four year olds - I've seen standard nearly new MY03's (EU imports) for sale on here for 15k. Theres so many Scoobs for sale at the moment - I bought the trader the other day and there are pages of 'em. In my experience Scoobs depreciate far less than most other cars - a mate has just lost 6k on a new Focus Ghia in ten months

Good luck with the sale,

Ian.

(30k miles EU MY00 owner. If my car is worth say 10k its cost me 5.5k depreciation in nearly four years - not bad in my opinion)

[Edited by Ian E - 11/22/2003 1:16:07 PM]
Old 22 November 2003, 01:20 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree with DannyB on the import thing.

Also, I'm not convinced that this is the most effective place to sell a car. Could it be that the majority of regular users already have a car and aren't looking to change? Although there are a lot of registered users, how many are in the market for a new car at any given time? Prob not many. Autotrader on the other hand is prob bought by thousands of people every week, most of whom are actually thinking about buying.

You also have to accept that generally mods rarely retain any value, so trying to justify a slightly higher asking price will require the the skill of a good salesman and a knowledgable buyer. Eg, I would happily pay around half price for a 2nd hand exhaust or brakes, but only if I was specifically shopping for those items. So by marketing your car as the package that it is, you can only hope to appeal to a buyer who wants a 4 door MY00 AND Brembo/APs, AND SM dp AND Defis AND PD7s AND PPP. To anyone else, you're asking them to pay for something they don't know that they want. In which case you'd have your work cut out.

I reckon you'd have a good chance of getting very close to your asking price if you split the car. Sell the brakes, Defis, PD7s separately and put the car up for £11k.
Old 22 November 2003, 01:21 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Mine went in the trader yesterday - I bought the mag and couldn't believe how many scoobies were in there. Luckily mine seems to be fairly priced, not the lowest, but certainly not the highest.
the used car market is flooded with scoobs at present, but I get the impression most of them are crap.
Old 22 November 2003, 03:53 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Agree with DannyB on the import thing
I traded in my MY01 Euro Import WRX last month. It was valued £200 less than a UK car and that was ny a Subaru dealer (the car was underwritten by the dealer).

So I saved nearly £4k on purchase price and lost £200 come resale.

Steve
Old 22 November 2003, 05:42 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

If it's less than 3 years old then an EU import is probably worth a few hundred less than a UK car. If it's over 3 years old and there isn't a warranty issue then there isn't any difference between a UK or EU car.
A UK dealer may offer you less because he thinks he can, no other reason.

My Alfa was an EU import but had Alfa dealer warranty, the place I sold it too said he wouldn't have offered any more for a UK car.

Lee
Old 22 November 2003, 06:57 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

I find that hard to believe.
You mean to tell me if I bought a UK spec car from Holland for £16k and the UK equivalent was £21k (as were the MY01's at one point) in 3yrs time the import is worth no less than the UK despite the huge £5k original purchase price difference?
Bloody hell, MY01 import owners must be laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 22 November 2003, 07:32 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

...the place I sold it too said he wouldn't have offered any more for a UK car
I tend to trust car salesmen about as far as I could throw them
Old 22 November 2003, 07:44 PM
Luke
BANNED

Bloody good time to buy!!!
Old 22 November 2003, 08:19 PM
T.J
Scooby Regular

I sold mine in September (MY99 59Kmiles/tek3 etc) having used autotrader to get an idea of prices using similar year cars ignoring over-inflated dealer prices. There was a least 2 - 2.5k price range including many private buyers at the top end. I priced near the lower end (still 1.5 k higher than trade in price) and sold inside two weeks.

Time of year is biggest problem though

Good luck

Saxo boy: Mine was similar spec to yours ..sold for £600 less than your price.

tj

[Edited by T.J - 11/22/2003 8:23:34 PM]
Old 22 November 2003, 10:45 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Tony,

I recently traded my car in and its a very similar spec to yours.

If you'd like to know how much I got for it and how much the dealer sold it for, email me.
Old 22 November 2003, 11:38 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

My car is up for sale at £8999 which means the dealer has put a £1500 mark up on it which seems reasonable.

I have no reason to doubt him, he offered me £7500 before he asked whether it was an import or not. He never moved from his original offer, it was when I asked if he would have moved on the price if it was a UK car he said no.

The place in question does sell a large number of imported cars so that may have some bearing on the situation.

The offer was some £1000 less than at a Main Dealer but I saved nearly £3k on the car I purchased, so a £2k saving overall. The car I bought was a nearly new UK car.

Lee
Old 23 November 2003, 12:07 AM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sounds like a sensible deal you got there, saving £2k just by shopping around! Makes owning a car a little more affordable and we need all the help we can get these days.
Old 23 November 2003, 12:15 AM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Autotrader is fine i sold me ole WRX in 6 hrs using it, i told the young lad that came to view ( with his mate) he aint going to drive unless you have paid for her.

I took him out on a test drive, SOLD RAC inspection the next day, bank transfer in full and he went away very happy me too.

You must make it clear that the autotrader ride show possey aint going to drive it unless they lay down the money.

Old 30 November 2003, 12:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replies
Talizman, i would be interested to see how much you got for your scoob (ive got an offer of 12k for a trade in at the mo but its not been confirmed as of yet, but my new car is here and waiting for me to pick her up )
Im also unable to get my emails just for the moment, ill have that facility back later today hopefully

Tony
Old 30 November 2003, 12:30 PM
MART X
Scooby Regular

'ello tony,

Could you put a link to the thread where ya cars for sale, i couldn't see it in "for sale"

Thanks mate
Old 30 November 2003, 12:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hiya Mart,
Here is the link

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=266914

I'll probably not have the knocklink on there as thats going onto my new impreza but all the rest will be on there plus the original parts (downpipe, cover for the top storage box, lagging tape for the downpipe, a set of eiback springs and the heat sink for the turbo).

Tony
Old 30 November 2003, 12:47 PM
MART X
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, i'm putting a portfolio of used imprezza's together for a pal who's coming round later.

Thanks again
Old 30 November 2003, 12:53 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Tony, YHM.

Clicky for ya
Old 30 November 2003, 03:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Talizman,
Cheers!

Tony
Old 30 November 2003, 03:57 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

It can be very tricky.

Problem is , what may be a beauty to you may not be to someone else ie they dont like the wheels, the colour / both whatever. Because there are so many for sale, people can afford to be picky so get exactly the right colour/wheels/miles etc etc.

I sold mine on here, within hours(sorry not trying to rub it in) http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=256405 Took £12k in the end, but didint service it so £12450 in my pocket effectively. Ok, maybe I could have held out for a little more, but I needed a fastish sale and bearing in mind the grief I d seen people going through trying to sell it I thought I did ok.

With the greatest respect, if your not recieving interest, then its too expensive......this is the market telling you this, not just my finger in the wind.

I think the last post on my add says it all

Yes but it is a minter and up for sensible money

[Edited by ADP - 11/30/2003 3:59:57 PM]
Old 30 November 2003, 04:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

I know what you mean, but the average price of an my00 is between 11-12k in standard form, mine has a few extras (a/c for instance) so at 12.5k i still think its a bargain (even though id negotiate on the price a little).
There will be one lucky person out there somewhere who will eventually buy one of the best impreza's out there, and soon hopefully as my new scoob is already here and waiting for me

Tony

Quick Reply: Why is it so hard to sell my impreza?