Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air filters

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2003, 09:39 AM
trout2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently running a K&N flan panel air filter on my Impreza Turbo. If I replace it with a full induction kit will it make any difference.

Thanks
Old 21 November 2003, 09:58 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

What model and year of car? MAF sensors on MY99 to MY01(IIRC) cars are quite fragile and have been known to break causing no end of problems. Some people have had no problems at all though.

Induction kits have also been known to cause lean spots in the air-fuel mixture simply because they flow more air than the standard airbox. This would need to be sorted out with an adjustment to the ECU map. The plus side of this is you'd get a bit more power from the kit.

I expect it will make a bit of difference, but I'd suggest that there are other things (that you may or may not have done ) that would get you more to do first.

[Edited by dnb - 11/21/2003 10:04:13 AM]
Old 21 November 2003, 10:01 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bit more noise and a bit more bhp (Questionable) Just so that you know, this thread will get battered by the "OH NOOOOO DON'T DO IT" brigade later telling stories of MAF's blowing up. Remember thousands of scoob owners run them without problems.

Mikey
Old 21 November 2003, 10:22 AM
trout2
Scooby Regular

Thanks to both of you. Sounds like it would be non noticable.

Cheers
Old 21 November 2003, 10:33 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Just a quick one on this. I had a Pipercross foam induction kit on my MY98, good chirup on over run, good induction noise. However I decided to clean the filter and found that the metal and plastic pipe leading from the filter and turbo had black sludge caked inside it, checked the maf which seemed a little dirty but not damaged. I changed back to a green filter with standard airbox, no further problems. TSL do a good write up on this subject on their website if your interested.
Old 21 November 2003, 11:38 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

For all you paranoid MAF types out there ...I'm Running a K&N induction kit for 3 years with no problems

Lots more woooshy noises and a nice roar on full throttle and full boost. May be a little too noisey for some people...depends on what your after.

I heard the MAF failures are mainly associated with foam or steel-mesh type filters. As they have an alledged lower filtration rate. K&N claim to give 99.whatever% filtration, so that's the only one I'd reccomend.

Other failures of MAF have been speculated around the type of mounting kit used, where no rubber mounts/bushes are used and engine vibration is tranmitted to the MAF. I'm not sure what type of fitting kit would be used on your MY. So it may be worth checking.

[Edited by ALi-B - 11/21/2003 11:41:15 AM]