Sponsored by:

what would be the bhp/lbs with these mods

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2003, 10:30 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im looking at going the non ppp route on my my03 wrx

been looking at where to spend the money £ 1500 currently looking at TSL as they are fairly local and have heard good things.

what sort of power would this be and have I missed anything important. Does PPP replace anything else ?. I know they replace the intercooler hose is this coverd by the samco kit ?

rear box 4" group N £ 240
centre sections £ 180
ecutek 3 £ 650
samco hose kit £ 81

£ 1151 + VAT = £ 1352.42

as i understand it replacing the bottom sections of the exhaust will lose 1 cat still leaving the one in the up pipe and one in the down pipe. So should still pass the emmisions tests.

cheers

Peter
Old 20 November 2003, 10:53 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The TeK3 is a custom map and thus the best people to tell you the sort of power to expect would be TSL themselves. If the '03 WRX still has the 380cc injectors these will probably become a limiting factor, and thus at a rough guess you'd probably be looking at 260-270bhp or so, plus commensurate increases in torque and driveability.

As far as the cat removal is concerned, you'll only be left with one if you follow this route as AFAIAA there is no up-pipe cat on the MY03 WRX.

If you're going to go this route though, you'll get a much more worthwhile power gain from leaving the catted centre section in place and removing the downpipe cat. Still got good chance of passing emissions test in this format.
Old 20 November 2003, 11:02 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

so replacing the down pipe and retaining the original centre section would give better results and still be emmisions safe.

but replacing both would mean the car is catless and wouldnt have a hope in hell of passing a mot. If replacing both what happens to back pressure ?. As i understand a certain amount is a good thing ?.
Old 20 November 2003, 11:40 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

reason im discounting ppp is its a fairly closed door, If i want to go further i have to replace the prodrive map with another remap.

I may want to go full decat eventually and further still.

as grease monkeys post im not sure there is a cat in the up pipe on my03's
Old 20 November 2003, 12:12 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Cool

Pbee - I am debating the same!
Was very disapointed with the performance of the PPP'd cars at Power Engineering the other day - one only had 1bhp more than mine (albeit 15lb/ft more torque higher up) - and the other had 11bhp less!

I understand that taking the main (front) Cat off results in flat spots due to too little back pressure - so I am debating an up pipe
as I understand the 03 has a cat there too and TSL's centre section and rear cat replacement pipe.
Then it's the debate of Ecutek or Link etc!!!

Let me know how you get on ....

Trending Topics

Old 20 November 2003, 12:26 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I'm looking at this route too as I have an EU import and the PPP can only be fitted at the supplying dealer (thanks Subaru )

I already have a prodrive BB and have signed up for the group buy ecutek remap at PE but I'll probably get a de-cat centre pipe fitted before the remap.

Let me know how you get on.

Gary.
Old 20 November 2003, 12:29 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt of expected flatspots with the downpipe replaced but still had the centre cat, as this would provide back pressure, i would expect flat spots if all cats were removed and the exhaust is straight through, unless additional work has been done to counteract this.
Old 20 November 2003, 12:30 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I'm looking at this route too as I have an EU import and the PPP can only be fitted at the supplying dealer (thanks Subaru )
You can get it fitted locally now : I recently had my EU MY02 PPP'd at my local dealership - you just need to give them a copy of your V5 and a copy of your Certificate of Conformity.

Old 20 November 2003, 12:39 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Pbee - the front cat does the most work and is the biggest, everyone I have spoken to says the rear by itself isn't enough to pass the MOT.
Old 20 November 2003, 03:04 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

I think passing the mot must be down to luck of the draw, you hear of people passing with no cats what so ever and other people having a hard time passing with just losing 1.

course there is always the firendly local mot place, A friend services peugout rally cars and alfa touring cars that have to be road legal, i will have a chat to see who he recommends.
Old 20 November 2003, 06:19 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As someone's already mentioned, there's a group buy on ecutek mapping at PE. Looks like a good deal.
Old 20 November 2003, 08:44 PM
John P
Scooby Regular

If you are worried about the mot cant you ask to keep the centre section ad find a nice garage just before the mot and have the centre section fitted and then removed straight after. I am hoping to get round this when I have the downpipe replaced, PS car passed MOT with scooby centre section and rear box
good luck with whichever route you take