Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2003, 11:51 AM
S Page
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi

New to the group.
I'm looking at buying my first scooby an sti 8, i was wondering on the groups views on the PPP upgrade:

Is it worth it??
Is there better on the market, if so what??

Obviously you dont effect the warranty with the prodrive upgrade.
I've been reading magazine articles about tuning them recently and some say go for a big front mounted intercooler and decatted pipe and induction kit (about £5k), others just say change exhaust and rechip the ecu for about the same gains in power (340-350bhp) for £700-800.
Just want to spend my money on the best kit to have the edge over the evo boys but it would appear after watching Jeremy Clarkson's new dvd (clarkson shoot-out) that the evo 8 still has the edge over the PPP sti 8, especially in the straight line acceleration test where the sti was easily beaten by the evo 8 and was even beaten by the Audi S4.

I know the group will have tried and tested many different tuning upgrades and i would appreciatte what has been found to be the best.

You might think why do i need to tune the sti up anyway, hasn't it got enough power, well i'm used to riding a motorbike at the weekends that did 0-60 in less than 3 seconds etc etc. I'm looking for speed and comfort now.
Old 16 November 2003, 12:43 PM
Mad Gypsy
Scooby Regular

If the warranty isn't an issue, go for a Spec C. Far better than a UK STI8 PPP
Old 16 November 2003, 01:20 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

But no where near as many luxuries, such as aircon, elec windows, etc and only available in white (unless you go for the Spec C ltd)
Go for the latest model Jap Spec STi, you want the top model with the bbs alloys, privacy glass & HID headlamps. Should set you back about £23k nearly new or £24k brand new.
Standard power is about 320bhp.

If you want a UK car, go for a Evo FQ300
Old 17 November 2003, 11:57 AM
S Page
Scooby Regular

Sorry posted twice

[Edited by S Page - 11/17/2003 11:59:58 AM]
Old 17 November 2003, 11:58 AM
S Page
Scooby Regular

John
Am i mistaken i thought this was a Forum for scooby drivers, i always thought the archrival to Scoobies was the Evo's, do you not rate the Sti 8 UK spec, must not if you say go for an Evo 8. The only thing i like about the Evo is the performance and upgrade capability, think its damn ugly. You cant beat the noise a Scooby makes.
Old 17 November 2003, 11:59 AM
Mad Gypsy
Scooby Regular

Or wait a few weeks for the FQ330

It's made me think about an EVO. Sort of like a Spec C with a warranty.

I'd still go for the Spec C ltd if I were going to get a STI8.
If my next car is another scoob, it'll be a Spec C. I don't fancy a UK STI8 PPP.
Old 17 November 2003, 12:11 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

S Page, I like you didn't like the look of the evo and I hear the ride quality is not as good as the STi. I went for the STi 8. With it being an import the warranty isn't as much a problem (not being Subaru) so I went for a full decat exhaust (from Janspeed) Made a big differance to the car, now contiplating whether to go for the re-map as well. You need to decide what you want out of the car and how fast you really need to go with out comprimising the reliability. I think you will get a better deal than the PPP but if it's a uk car the warranty is a big issue.
Old 17 November 2003, 12:19 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Smile

A genuine 340-350bhp for £700-£800 is a bargain, almost too good to be true. Before choosing this route get confirmation from the supplier that the figures can be verified on a RR & speak to someone who has had the work done & then RR'd their car. Just because one car does 340 in a particular state of tune does not mean that they all will.

[Edited by Callum Ferguson - 11/17/2003 12:21:19 PM]
Old 17 November 2003, 12:26 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Don't read to much into the clarkson video, i've got it and the launch was a little tame to say the least

The Evo will pull a gap but not that much
Old 17 November 2003, 12:33 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

Callum
Scoobysport advertise if you get their "Ecutek" upgrade for £763 inc vat you will get 340 bhp on the uk sti, ah but thats when using the Scoobysport exhaust too but it doesn't say how much that is.
Old 17 November 2003, 12:36 PM
AndyBrew
Scooby Regular

I have had my STi8 with PPP for 3 months now and I'm loving it

I'd also consider hassling the dealer to fit the suspension upgrade as a freebie

EVO8 nice car and I'm sure I'll consider getting one at some point however the Scooby is a better all round package for daily driving.
Old 17 November 2003, 12:37 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

SammyH

Yeah i know what you mean about Clarksons video's, i remember seeing one where he had pitted a Yamaha R1 against a Porcshe, where the car won but the onboard camera shots from the bike didnt show the rev counter even getting close to the powerband/redline.
Old 17 November 2003, 12:41 PM
Misha
Scooby Regular

STi spec C Ltd comes only in red, so that may be a slight problem for you, if you don't like red
Old 17 November 2003, 02:17 PM
Mad Gypsy
Scooby Regular

I thought the Spec C standard came in white only and the ltd came in red and WR blue? Having said that, I've only ever seen red or white one's
White and red are amongst my least favorite colours for a car, and would, to some degree, put me off owning a Spec C.
Old 17 November 2003, 04:49 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Talking

S page, various options open to you, PPP is ok but limits you to there level of modifications(around 300 HP I think) but as pointed out retains your warrenty asuming its a UK car. If its an import and on an "insurance" type warenty then you can go whichever way you like, what's your budget? what power do you want? two questions you must ask yourself???

355 HP ('ish)
Full Decat Exhaust System (go for 3" system not 2.5" better for later when you want more!)
Knock Link & Boost Gauge
Walboro upgraded fuel pump
Upgraded Dump / Recirc Valve
STI 8 Standard VF35 Turbo will squeeze out 355 ish HP if required
Gems ECU ECUTEK REMAP or Unichip Method
Port your standard headers for a little more if you like???

Over 355 HP

Bigger Injectors
Fuel pressure reg SX or FSE
FMIC
Headers
Bigger Turbo (Hybrid)
ECU (if you havent already!) or ECUTEK remap again!

NB: Compshack be VERY careful if you have fitted a decat to STI 8 without a REMAP.

Conrad

Old 17 November 2003, 05:59 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Conrad,
(Sorry to interupt) Is it essential to have a re-map after a full de-cat?
Old 17 November 2003, 06:33 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Drove Ian Litchfields RED spec C ltd ,,,,,, wish i hadnt bought my STi8 now. It is awesome. As for goodies, you can have remote central locking and air con fitted if you like, and carpets in the boot too. Other than that pretty similar anyway. Also gives 335BHP with re-map and Miltech exhuast from Lichfields. Around 27K gets you alot of car thats for sure.

Oh and you can have it white, red, blue ..not sure about black and silver
Old 17 November 2003, 06:35 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Always a good plan after a full de-cat - it completely changes the boost and turbo spool-up characteristics. Otherwise you may well suffer from overboost while the turbo spools up. Also, you'll get more out of the engine as it will be able to properly make use of the decat.

Have fun
R
Old 17 November 2003, 06:49 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Talking

Compshack, as pointed out earlier, it IS essential to have a remap on STi 7 & 8's if you go for a full decat, you can overboost and end up running lean if you drive the car hard at all, plus the car will be a lot nicer to drive and more responsive when the ECU is set up to run with the mods you have. The cost of the ECUTEK is far cheaper than a new short motor Don't risk it, its not worth the hassle.

TVR, dont get too excited as I thought Iain Litchfields Spec C had been fitted with a USDM 2.5 Litre motor, so it will be alot different Please correct me if I'm wrong though!

[Edited by RSVR Racer - 11/17/2003 6:51:53 PM]
Old 17 November 2003, 11:22 PM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Don't just think about the engine.
Don't forget the suspension, brakes etc.

I can strongly recommend the handling package from Powerstation. Solid drop links, adjustable rear anti-roll bar, anti-lift kit and obligatory geometry set up (+/- Eibach springs).

Completely transforms the car - feels like it corners on rails and the steering response is so sharp you could cut yourself.

You can't help but smile at ever roundabout / bend.

Simon
Old 18 November 2003, 01:34 AM
Alex Jullien
Scooby Newbie

With regard to decat, does downpipe or centre section make the biggest difference - in terms of throttle responce improvement? Do you need a remap for just one of these (i.e. not both)??
I have an Sti8...
Cheers
Alex
Old 18 November 2003, 05:38 AM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

SPage,
I have no problem with Scoobysport or any other reputable supplier for that matter but having done a few bits to an STi 7 the price you posted seemed very low given the result of 340-350. Adding a full 3" decat exhaust will make the budget a little more realistic I'm sure Pete will easily back up his claims by referring you to a happy customer who has verified figures & it may still be very good VFM with an exhaust included.

I still think the comparison of the £5k package to the £800 + an exhaust package is a little unfair given the hardware involved but results speak for themselves It also depends a little on your longer term plans as well?

As Conrad suggested you should add at least add a Knocklink and a Walbro 342 pump for insurance.
Old 18 November 2003, 12:04 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

Callum ferguson

I know it looks unfair comparing the Scoobysport system to the £5k upgrade from G-Force but I'm just after the best value for money upgrades that is inkeeping with the price of the PPP upgrade, i obviuosly dont want to spend £5k on an upgrade that isn't any better than an upgrade costing £1.5-2k unless it is worth the money. The £3k difference would pay for suspension & brake upgrades and maybe a few track days.

I am looking for an upgrade that would still make the car easy to drive in everyday conditions as well as good for trackday/backroad scratching.

From what i have been reading 340-350bhp seems to be the limit for tuning without major upgrades of the engine internals which = megabucks.
Old 18 November 2003, 12:07 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

SimonJM

Would be interested in the cost of your suspension/brake upgrades from powerstation? Where is powerstation situated?

Anyone else had suspension/brake upgrades, if so what would you suggest and how much??

[Edited by S Page - 11/18/2003 1:22:17 PM]
Old 18 November 2003, 02:37 PM
Little Clanger
Scooby Regular

If you are just about to buy your STi8, I would suggest you leave it un-modded for a while and enjoy it standard. When (if) you get bored, then fit the PPP. Gives you something to look forward to.

SimonJM, a good point about suspension n brakes but warranties become important again. I have heard on the GV that even a dealer-offered mod to these areas is getting Subaru UK twitchy about liability for failures etc. A question lurks over whether they will back the dealer mod. This doesnt leave much room for manouvre to mod a warrantied car (a right pi**er).

I have a recently acquired STi8. Are you suggesting that the "standard set-up isnt up to the performance increase made by fitting the PPP? I am thinking of upgrading after winter.
Old 18 November 2003, 04:29 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Smile

I agree that getting good VFM should be a priority but I just felt you were not comparing apples with apples

It is a great idea to set a budget and stick to it if you can

I would be inclined to ask more than one supplier to provide a spec for your budget. You know what the PPP costs and can probably arrange a test drive fairly easily. Then compare it with what Pete is offering and ask Chris at G-Force if he can offer a package that will compete and try and drive cars from your chosen tuners.

I still think a genuine 340bhp is a fair achievement even at £1500 to £2000

Good luck with your search & enjoy the journey