Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day wear and tear

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2003, 09:28 AM
towzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife has booked a track day and instruction as a birthday present, however it seems that I need to take my own car (STi7 PPP). I haven't been on a track before and am quite excited.

I guess wear and tear on brakes/tires is down to how you drive it, but am I realistically going to chew through a set of pads/disks/tires in half a day? I'm just about to replace the standard Bridgestone RE040's for PZero's, but is it worth keeping the 040's until after the track day?

Thanks,

Phil

Old 16 November 2003, 10:56 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Depends on your driving style I guess and how hard you attack the day...

Keep the old tyres and waste 'em as you might ruin a perfectly good new set. Also new tyres have bigger tread blocks & the effects of heat means that the whole tyre doesn't get hot enough, only the blocks and that they can wear extremely quickly.

If you do keep the old tyres, bear in mind that they "might" be illegal for returning home on (particularly the outside edges). If you can get a spare set of rims, all the better.

Brakes. You should be OK if you realise that your brakes/pads are not designed for sustained track use. Worth taking a spare set just in case.

Your instructor will be your best aid as he/she should teach you the quick lines round the track and the braking points - aimed at your level of experience and ability. That will keep wear/tear down.

Hope your wife realises that this is addicitive

Enjoy