Dodgy Dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2003, 11:19 AM
Mr Smiley
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi All,

Sorry that my first post is a technicalish question, I hope someone can help.
I own a Legacy Outback 2.5ltr that has developed a clutch problem. It has always felt a bit dodgy and would sometimes stall when pulling away from standstill (not crap clutch control) it has been this way since new and I have never been totally happy with it. In the middle of the heat this summer I was stuck on M4 in traffic and the clutch started to act up badly, the pedal wouldn't travel the last 2 inches back up and then would "pop" up once moving....this was also followed by really bad smelling smoke (burnt synthetics smell) seemed to rise from the right had side of the bonnet. This was not good....so I limped home. The car the next day was fine (as it ever is) but I took it into my dealer who said that it needed a new clutch...£1000+. At the time they were putting allot of pressure on me to buy a new Outback, their 3ltr demonstrator. As the new model is coming in they were offering a bargain price so I thought that I would go for it.
Now I put my existing car into have the work done but was going to use it as full deposit etc so the work was really off the dealers back. I then after consideration changed my mind on the new car (want the new model) and decided to pay the new clutch and stick with my old car. So I have been billed for a new clutch and all seems well. Problem is I have looked under the bonnet and it doesn't look as though any work has been done. As I understand it, the engine has to come out to replace the clutch but none of the hoses have been touched. Nor does it look as though the engine has been lifted off its mounts. So I have my suspicions, could it have been adjusted to remove the fault with the original clutch with view to putting on the forecourt and making a tidy profit had I bought the new car? The £1000+ cost was a large part of me considering the new car.
I have driven Subaru's since the mid 80's and have always been impressed with cars and the dealers so I am sad if my suspicions are correct.
Any help or advice on what to do, and how to check will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mark
Old 05 November 2003, 11:22 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You can change the clutch by removing the gearbox.

David
Old 05 November 2003, 11:23 AM
Mr Smiley
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Dave

But does that mean that they have pulled a fast one or not? I have only a basic understanding of these things.

Mark
Old 05 November 2003, 11:47 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI, Westaway garage near Northampton have an H6 ex demo for sale now down to £20,000.

Nick
1997 Forester S/tb
Old 05 November 2003, 11:54 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

They would need to remove the air box to get to the top bolts holding the gearbox, but apart from that the engine would not need to be touched. We found removing the gearbox far easier than the engine when changing clutches.

How many miles had the clutch done?

David
Old 05 November 2003, 11:57 AM
Mr Smiley
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys

The old clutch had done over 70k, but had never been right in my opinion.

I am glad to hear that I am just a suspisious old sod!!

Mark
Old 05 November 2003, 01:04 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

the nly other way you can tell what they have charged you for is on the labout hours.
Say to remove/refit the box, will take less hours than engine removal, so should be around 6hrs labour.
If they have charged you for the engine to come out, labour time will near 12 hrs.
See if they have charged you for the dearest and done it the cheapest way !!
Worth a look at the invoice.