Bmw Scoob Hond

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 10:07 AM
CTRnutter *2*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here

And Here

the above two are good example but 14k isn't going to get you a decent bugeye 17k will be you r best price tag

[Edited by CTRnutter *2* - 11/5/2003 10:13:54 AM]
Old 04 November 2003, 08:19 AM
DorsetJim
Scooby Newbie

Question

First of all hello to everyone. I've been reading the forums for a few months after looking into getting a scoob. I'd just like to see what people think first.

When i hit 21 in a few months, and my insurance quote drops £450. I'll either be going to trade in my current car, for a Bmw 320i/323i, subaru turbo 2000 (year 2000) classic, or a Subaru WRX bugeye (2001) not import, or a honda civic type r.

I know it's daft asking on a scooby site what car to go for, but i'm sure there must be plenty of people here that have had past experiences with these cars.

All views would be welcome, as it's doing my head in trying to make a decision I've driven the bmw and a classic turbo. Scoob deffo put an ear to ear grin on my face

I'm just a little worried about all the things i've been reading. Impreza's seem to be a theif magnet, and the last thing i'd want is someone asking me to get out of my newly purchased scoob by tappin on the glass with a knife.

I live in the dorset/somerset area and I wouldnt call it a high risk area.

Old 04 November 2003, 08:23 AM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Try here for balanced view

www.tyresmoke.net
Old 04 November 2003, 08:43 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Forget the BMW - yawnsville UK and they are not as good as the marketing job that they've done on you.

Drive both the Civic and the Scoob, but remember to thrash the Civic (it needs to be thrashed to get the best from it).

After driving each of them check the mirror and whichever has putt the biggest grin on your face is the one to go for.

If you go for the Scoob don't worry about the theft thing as that just means they're winning - you live in a low risk area by the sounds of it and just take sensible precautions - you'll be fine.

Have fun,

tiggers.
Old 04 November 2003, 08:45 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Ive gone from a standard MY98 Turbo to a 323i. Depends on a few things to be honest. The main reason I changed was running costs, everything on the Subaru seemed to cost a fortune - petrol, insurance, tyres, twice yearly servicing etc etc. The BMW seems a lot cheaper so far - variable servicing (around 12 - 15k depending on how you drive), regular 34 mpg (mix of motorway and b roads), almost half price insurance, tyres are 50 quid each rather than 125 and last longer.

If I had to pick one to drive down some back roads Id choose the Subaru, although the BMW is still a lot of fun. If it were mainly motorway driving then the BMW wins hands down. It should hold its value a lot better too.

Its up to you though, if you have lots of money (dont make the mistake I did and budget for the cost of the car and think the running costs would be similar to a normal one) and enjoyed the drive of the Scoob over the Beemer than go for the Scoob.

Overall though, for the driving I do, I much prefer the BMW.
Old 04 November 2003, 08:50 AM
DorsetJim
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies, still not made it any easier yet though 1-1 bmw/scoob so far!

help!
Old 04 November 2003, 08:52 AM
DorsetJim
Scooby Newbie

Is there any difference in the engines from the classic to bugeye? I know it's opening a can of worms but which is best to go for?
Old 04 November 2003, 09:12 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Not much difference in the engine.. interior seems to be much improved on later cars..
Old 04 November 2003, 09:28 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

The bugeye is a more solid build than the classic, but the main difference between the classic and bugeye is the weight.
The bugeye is quite a bit heavier and it takes away some of that rawness that the classic has.
You do need to consider what you will use the car for, but at 21 do you want to be thinking practically?.
At 27 I still drive a classic turbo up and down the motorway each day when I know a mid sized executive car would be a much nicer car to drive.
Cheers.
Ian.
Old 04 November 2003, 09:40 AM
DorsetJim
Scooby Newbie

I'm planning on keeping this car for a good 3-4years, as i've done with my car I have at the moment. I'm not too fussed about how practical it's going to be. It has a boot, and 4 door. That's about as practical as I get. Doing around 14,000 a year. What kind of yearly cost is this going to be on a scoob? Tyres/service etc?
Old 04 November 2003, 09:47 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Beemers are everywhere in your middle class suburbs and Civics are absolute pants and downright ugly. Never mind the running expenses and the fact you spend half your life in a petrol station.....have some fun and get a Classic Scooby with a sports exhaust!!
Who stops to look at a BMW or a Honda Civic as it drives down the high street....can't say that of a rumbling Scoob!

smurfy.
Old 04 November 2003, 09:51 AM
DorsetJim
Scooby Newbie

Sounding better

I think I just need that extra push to get a scoob, part of me wants to go for the "sensible" route of a bmw, cheaper insurance/running costs, but the other 99% wants the scoob

Just need to find a good deal on one!

Old 04 November 2003, 10:04 AM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dorset Jim,

Had a BMW - an M3 no less, a Civic Type R and now a 2003 Scoob - best of the lot as an all rounder .....
Old 04 November 2003, 11:16 AM
CTRnutter *2*
Scooby Regular

CTR is FF the BM is FR and the Scoob is AWD,

They are all different one is a turbocharged jap saloon one is a hatchback I-Vtech NA and the other is a 6 cylinder NA, German autobahn cruiser.

Honda are notorious for building the best engines in the world and that is shown in heaps with the CTR, a very good all round package and the 2004 model is supposed to be tweaked so that the power in the wet is planted smoothly, it is also the cheapest car out of the bunch, very well built lots of cred and is fantastic in the zone, has no problems keeping up with a scoob in the 0-90 range and surprisingly handles very well.

The Scoob is a great car very quick of the mark smooth and rewarding but can become tiring but has four doors and a boot.

The BM hasn't really got much to say for itself other than a comfy motorway cruiser very sensible a bit common, just a BMW in the car park,

the other two cars will get you noticed especially the flat four rumble, and the manic scream of the CTR when V-Tech hits home, also rev limiters with 9500rpm on them are quite exciting to see, the thing about the scoob and CTR is when you sit in them they make you feel special and they put a stupid grin on your face after a hard drive.
Old 04 November 2003, 11:22 AM
CTRnutter *2*
Scooby Regular

also like to add, if money is no object the the choices are yours but pound for pound the CTR is my personal choice albeit the scoob is great, they are both are fantastic cars,

if you want a go with a turbo AWD saloon the scoob is the machine, if you want FF I-Vtech Hatchback then the CTR is the one, one cost's 16k the other costs 22k or STI + PPP for 28k or check out the EVO but the BM although great car is common and is not a performance car unless it has M3 written on it
Old 04 November 2003, 11:57 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

The BM (assuming it is an E36) looks a little long in the tooth now, unless it is a coupe in "sport" guise, which look nice.

Also, its not that much of a drivers' car as a non-sport 323 (i.e. no smart dif, high suspension) etc.

Where it will score the points is if you want a comfy, rather than performane car, that is relatively cheap to run. Alos I think the BM is a straight 6

Given the above list...., given my requirements..., probably the Scoob.
Old 04 November 2003, 12:31 PM
Andy486
Scooby Regular

I've just changed from a UK Turbo to a 330 (petrol). Drove the 325 and 323 and found them dead slow compared to scooby. 330 still slower but quick enough for the type of driving I do.

If I was in your shoes, I'd go for the scooby. I had mine for 4 years and loved it.
Old 04 November 2003, 01:52 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

The Impreza is £20K theses days’ £21.5K if you want the SL version.
To run a late classic you need to service it every 7500 miles or six months. Services generally work as one cheapish one (oil change) then a more expensive one, the amount of the more expensive one depends on what’s done, e.g. I have a MY96 that had its 90K service done a little while ago which cost me £800.
So far I have got 27K out of the tyres, which are £150 ish each.
I do 97% motorway and get an average 27MPG, if I keep it under 3000 RPM I can get 30MPG.
So far with servicing and repairs the car costs me about £1000 a year, before insurance and the like.
Like with any car you buy, make sure it has good tyres, brakes etc and if any big services are around the corner this is done or taken from the price.
Cheers.
Ian.

Old 05 November 2003, 08:28 AM
DorsetJim
Scooby Newbie

£800! Sheesh

Is this typical with all scoobs? What about the bug eye, is that still every 7 months?

Old 05 November 2003, 08:49 AM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Have had several 330ci's, just sold my 330ci Sport and got a P1 and £4500. Ignore the usual anti-BMW bias, they are give or take the most complete cars you can buy. No other mass market car comes close to the balance of sportiness and comfort.
Always wanted a P1 and needed some cash but do miss the BM'. Running costs are brilliant for what they are, good on fuel, cheap to insure (relatively), sound good.
Don't get me wrong though, love the P1, every drive is an event, everybody stares at it, though this may not be a good thing and boy do you pay for it.
Am quite sure as I got a good deal on the P1, will not lose much over the next couple of years as depreciation will be slow now as long as I keep the warranty renewed.

If you are going for the Subaru, the classic will keep it's money better in the long run.

If you go for the BM', try and get a 328 as you will appreciate the extra grunt.

Don't let the fear of crime affect your choice, get a tracking device and Blackjax if necessary, I would reccommend this on any nice car anyway.
Old 05 November 2003, 09:26 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

£800! Sheesh
Don't forget this was the 90K mile service, most are a lot less than that.

If you're worried about that sort of money steer well clear ofthe BMW as the first time something goes wrong you'll need a second mortgage if you take it anywhere near a BMW dealer.

Looking back through here I can see you really want a Scooby - go for it - you won't regret it. They are not the cheapest cars in the world to run, but if you're sensible you'll be fine.

You'll also find it a pretty good all rounder. I have tooled up and down the motorway network in Scoobs for the best part of the last 7 years and never had any hankering for a better motorway cruiser. Then on the A and B roads.... well you'll see

tiggers.

Old 05 November 2003, 09:30 AM
DorsetJim
Scooby Newbie

Seems pretty settled then. Subaru it is. Just the case of classic/bugeye now!

Looking to spend 14kmax, including a trade in which the chap at Vale motors subaru garage said he'd give me 7k. Doesn't seem to be a lot of impreza's at any subaru garage i've found though?

Can anyone give me a an estimate for the differnt type of services?

e.g oil change/full service etc
Old 05 November 2003, 10:34 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

I love my Scooby (Jap import modded) BUT heres what I recommend.

NEVER buy a BMW 4 Cyl engine as they are just complete pants compared to a 6 cyl engine. 323i is an excellent all rounder but if you can get the 328i. Much nippier!

Scooby UK Car. As you sound like you are worrying about servicing costs then you are probably not going to be modding the car! Personally IMO the UK Scooby is not fast enough for the money you pay for it. Yes it CAN be tuned! But more money....

Civic Type R - What a car! If you want a car with cheaper running costs than the above, excellent handling (close to a Scooby) a fantasitc engine is you rev it and very comfy interior etc this is the one. Its a beast and flies! For the money you cant go wrong.

So summing it all up really.

Best Handling - Scooby without a doubt the Honda is close
Best Engine - Scooby power wise
Most Reliabile - Honda everytime!
Comfiest - BMW
Best for long distances - BMW

It goes on and on. All depends on what you want from the car.

My vote for that price goes with the Civic tho!

Unless you buy a cheap WRX and drop a 2.5 Litre Turbocharged engien in