ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOU P1?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2000, 07:58 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Well there seems to be a few about now so come on guys whats good and whats bad?
Old 18 May 2000, 08:20 PM
IanF
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Cue Jonathan...
Old 18 May 2000, 08:43 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Give him a chance he probably hasn't even run it in yet
Old 18 May 2000, 09:09 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

I got to drive one round a car park today. Thanks James Made my day.
Nice to see it still has a bright button.
Old 18 May 2000, 09:16 PM
rob barron
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Arron,

I’ll let you know whenever Subaru U.K. get their act together
and deliver my P1…

Rob Barron
No a happy bunny.
Old 18 May 2000, 09:40 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Picking mine up on Saturday....so we'll just have to wait and see

Old 18 May 2000, 09:52 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well as the cars got a few losening up miles under it belt I do have a few comments.

Lets get the dislikes out of the way

1. Orange Indicators - a must change IMHO.

2. I would like a little bit more feedback through the wheel (although its similar in feel to Neil Rileys Leda Type R).

3. A little less roll, but not much.

4. Less Lag (been caught out a couple of times, same as an STI though)

5. Exhaust note. SS backbox in the boot ready.

6. Cant think of what car to have next. Bit worrying.

1. The handling in the wet. Got to play a little today. Not found any real complaints in the dry either

2. Grip and Adjustability. Seem to be able to take corners at speeds Ive not before.

3. Ride. Its more compliant than my old MY00. Less harsh over rough surfaces.

4. Looks. Turns heads wherever it goes and looks better in the flesh than the photos

5. Those wheels. Not only do they look great, but brake dust makes them look even better !. All wheels should be this colour.

6. Power - but that obvious.

7. Trackstar as std with Guardian. Will detect movement of the car without the keys.

8 I still have a bright button.

Jonathan

Prodrive brakes fitted tomorrow, so something else to try.

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 18-05-2000).]
Old 18 May 2000, 10:56 PM
Acker
Scooby Regular

Cool

Still running in (490 miles and counting, not too bad for 3 days ownership) but..........

NOT SO GOOD
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>High rear spoiler means you have to work more to check behind for police.

<LI>Boot floor gets rather warm just above the rear exhaust box.

<LI>Having to stick below 4001 revs.
</UL>

GOOD

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Car quieter inside than the old Terzo. Less engine noise and exhaust noise.

<LI>Power.

<LI>Acceleration.

<LI>It was very good on the motorway last night despite the attrocious weather.

<LI>Ventilation and air-con much improved over my Terzo.

<LI>Looks.
</UL>

[This message has been edited by Acker (edited 19-05-2000).]
Old 19 May 2000, 12:27 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yex,
If you don't get a reply from Lancasters try putting your letter through the Ali G translator and sending it off again.
I'm sure that would provoke a response .
At least your builders will have finished the garage!
Cheers,
Charles
( Still have a confirmed reserved P1 on order myself, but have heard nothing from my dealer either.)
Old 19 May 2000, 12:57 AM
JohnH#2
Scooby Regular

Cool

First 2 P1's arrived at Lavender Hill, Enfield on Wednesday.

Any lucky s0d on here getting one?

The next one they get is for me!

Any news on the next wave of deliveries?
Old 19 May 2000, 09:02 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Angry

On the subject of being happy or otherwise with a P1 here's a copy of an e-mail I sent to Lancaster Sevenoaks on Wednesday morning:

I am sure that you have received many enquiries about this car, but please bear with me as this is the first time for me. I have become a little disillusioned with the flow of information regarding the P1 and the proposed delivery dates of the P1 for those of us that placed an order. My order was placed with yourselves in mid December, and a deposit of £500 paid to confirm my interest in the car. To date all I have received from your dealership, and Subaru UK for that matter, is a letter confirming that I have a car reserved for me should I wish to continue with the purchase.

I am aware that there have been problems with the parts of the car made by ProDrive, via other current Impreza owners awaiting a P1 and not via "official" channels, and that delivery dates have been delayed. However, I am still to have a test drive in a P1 and will not be in a position to confirm my order for the car until I have spent a suitable amount of time with the car to see if it is as good as the marketing suggests. After all, £31,495 is a large increase in price over a standard car so I am expecting an appropriate level of performance improvement . Would you please let me know when I can expect to be invited to your dealership to view/drive a demonstration car and when I can expect delivery of my order if I were to confirm it with you.

From my experience in ordering my previous car from you, and the service care you provide, I can only say this is excellent. However, the communication concerning the P1 cars has been nothing short of a shambles and myself and many others awaiting a P1 are becoming increasingly fed up with being poorly treated by Subaru UK. It is about time that Subaru UK, ProDrive or dealers like yourselves sent a letter to all parties interested in buying a P1 to confirm the position of their individual order and a proposed delivery date for those orders that are confirmed. If you had access to the Subaru enthusiasts websites you would see the level of dissatisfaction being felt by those of us that are being kept in the dark. Many people, including myself, are having second thoughts about the P1 because of the way in which we are being treated - completely against the JD Power survey results for the past few years. I think that you will agree that simple communication is the easiest method of keeping customers satisfied, keeping people in the dark is the easiest way of losing business. From reading the websites and at meetings of Impreza owners across the country the general consensus is that a suitable level of compensation should be offered to those people on the P1 waiting list who take up their order.

I would like an answer the points raised above as at the current time my patience is becoming rather thin with a car company who want £31,495 of my money but are not prepared to do any work in order to make me feel that I have made the right choice for my next car.

Needless to say I am still awaiting their reply, but as soon as I get one I will post it here for all to read.

Yex - getting more annoyed by the day
Old 19 May 2000, 09:06 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

2 P1's at Jordans in Hull - arrived yesterday. Looked the wotsits!
Old 19 May 2000, 10:40 AM
Kevin T
Scooby Newbie

Talking

2000 miles now, here are the bad points:

As Acker said, high rear wing impairs rear view but you learn to adjust to either look above or below it.

Speed limits come around SOOOOO quickly!

Good points

The ride

Driving position

Handling, as Jonathan said, it goes around corners at higher speeds if you so desire

Smooth power delivery - from 2500 to the top end, it just keeps on pulling

Head turning looks, much better than the photo's

The wheels don't LOOK like they need cleaning even when they do

Aircon

Rear wiper
Old 19 May 2000, 10:57 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi P1 owners,

Just to let you know how jealous i am, you lucky set of ....

How you enjoy 'um as much as i would!

Tone

[This message has been edited by Tone Loc (edited 19-05-2000).]
Old 19 May 2000, 01:41 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Amazing what the power of an e-mail can do. Lancaster's have just rung me to apologise for not keeping the people on their order list informed, and that a letter will be going out to their customers in the next couple of days.

Apparently they are expecting a batch (4-6) in June and as I am number 4 on their list one of these is mine They will not have a demo car available as they have decided to pass on cars to customers because of the delay. They have also kindly offered to swap the ScoobySport BB and Sony 10 stack into the P1 prior to delivery so they get back a completely standard silver 4 door MY98, unless someone on here wants it

Downside is still having to wait, and probably no test drive prior to purchase

Upside is that my garage will be finished by then and I'm in the Bahamas for 2 weeks in June anyway

Happy days just coming over the horizon

Yex

PS: Where is the ALI G translator Chuckster?
Old 19 May 2000, 09:49 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yex

With a P1 on order I'd edit those sunny details out of your message if I was you

BJH
Old 19 May 2000, 10:30 PM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hmm,

Well hearing all these stories about how it's such a better experince buying from IM rather than a grey I'm SO jealous.

After all a coupla test drives & time to consider my decision without pressure & feeling like a valued customer who my supplier wants repeat business off as well as personal recommendations does just make me realise what a <i/>good[/i] deal you (potential) P1 owners are getting!

Question: why don't you object to the 'super profits' IM are making out of these cars? Do the maths guys . . . and they still treat you like **** - this could only happen in silence in rip off Britain.

Paul
STi5

Old 19 May 2000, 10:40 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Paul

But its worth the wait and SO SO SO much better than the STI V. They could of priced it higher and it still justifies the price tag.

Still buying an STI is like investing in .coms. Worth a lot when you buy them, but then its half its value soon afterwards.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 20-05-2000).]
Old 20 May 2000, 02:57 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,
After all the wonderful work that Prodrive 'put in' to make the P - - -1 soooo refined, are you, like lots of the other P - - -1 owners going to go down the scooby sport exhaust route to give your new Audi (sorry - i forgot that you decided it was no longer flavour of the month!!) I meant P - - -1, some real character. Could do with the QUICK STEERING RACK now. I've just realised why they left it off, it's got STi stickers all over it.You should have bought the 'original' item to start with.
What's the old saying? You can lead a horse to water etc.
Keep your chin up old boy.
Old 20 May 2000, 05:08 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Paul No2

Yes SS backbox now fitted. Needed to get rid of the STI logo'd one. Still two more to get rid of. One's the strut brace, the others on the dials. Added the other Prodrive logos as well with the brakes.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 20-05-2000).]
Old 20 May 2000, 11:05 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Wink

Here we go again, Jonathan!

Saj
S3 WRC and love it
Old 20 May 2000, 11:25 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

I recognise that number plate. Who had the good taste to buy that ?

Still Saj thats not an STI anymore. Its
been renamed the SAJ model. My cars got
more STI bits than yours !!

Jonathan
Old 21 May 2000, 08:56 AM
Saj
Scooby Regular

The same guy who sold it 4 months later. So how come its so much better if its got all those STI bits on it.

Saj

[This message has been edited by Saj (edited 21-05-2000).]
Old 21 May 2000, 09:49 AM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ok lets get sensible.

If the P1 had 4 doors I may have considered one it doesnt so I will not.

It is a lot of money for what is a STi 6 modded.I do not think the P1 is expensive.

My car including all the mods has cost me similar money.

Yes the P1 will hold its value better than mine so the only way to get my monies worth is to use my car.

What Prodrive do is mod the P1 for you which to my mind takes the fun out of it, and FUN is what Impreza ownership is about.

No impreza is perfect nor will it ever be.Including your next one Jonathan.

[This message has been edited by Saj (edited 21-05-2000).]
Old 21 May 2000, 04:39 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

I thought the only reason that the P - - - 1 was a ‘better’? ‘long distance companion than an STi 5/6 was its comfy set-up and relaxed demeanour. So do you accept that you’ve now undone some of Prodrives good work and made it like (dare I say it !!) an STi.
Just remember one thing Jon boy when you’re slating STi products, without the WRX and STi variants, your beloved P - - - 1 wouldn’t even exist. Subaru U.K. wouldn’t have had its petulant temper tantrum and bank rolled Prodrive to Europeanise the good old STi at all.
Oh and by the way didn't you miss the STi stickers on your struts. From what I’ve read they are also STi sourced, just like your engine and pretty much everything else.
You really are a very big car snob. And there was I thinking that people like you only bought Audis, BMW’s and Merc’s.
I’m with Saj, dont know the chap but as he says the whole point about a car (certainly any Impreza) is about driving. I also agree that they have taken some of the fun out of the P - - - 1, HELL - EVEN YOU MUST having spent more money on making it noisy again. Still leaves the steering then. Dare I suggest a certain ‘QUICK STEERING RACK’ from SUBARU TECHNICA. What's your problem, Prodrive use them after all.
Old 21 May 2000, 05:11 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Paul g.

Do I detect a note of jealousy somewhere?
Old 21 May 2000, 05:22 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Paul Gee

Seems only to be Pauls on the anti P1 threads. Have they all got an anti Prodrive Chip on their shoulder

Not sure if you got the meaning of the messages to Saj. S3 WRC is my old STI V, which Saj bought off me. The other point being that there's hardly anything STI left on it.

Take a look at his car and it should be renamed the SAJ model

Different

Wheels, ECU, Brakes, Suspension, Alcantara Trim etc. Probably missed half the mods.

I did miss the stuts your right. Should I complain ?.

Saj makes the valid points, that most people that buy an STI like fiddling with it. I cant be arsed, the backbox is the only mod for me and my 10 months max of ownership. Thats why the P1 suits. I like STI's, but it seems that pride of the STI clan has been hurt with the P1, and some feel the need to slag it all the time. An STI is a great buy for about 21k and then spend some money on mods. People that buy for 27k today must have more money than sense. I find it funny that people go on about IM and Prodrive with the P1, but leave Park Lane, Warrenders etc alone with their sky high prices. Should we start an anti Warrender thread ?

Saj is also right that there's not much chance of me finding a perfect Scoob, untill Audi or BMW build the interior. Maybe I'll have to go grey again with the new model STI. Who should I place my order with ?

Jonathan
Old 21 May 2000, 06:22 PM
PhilHulse
Scooby Regular

The title of this thread is " are you happy with your P1" Johnathan obviously is and so is everyone else that owns one. What the hell is this to do with STI owners sniping? Surely there are other threads than this to discuss such topics. Personally speaking I'm sick of reading it. It's no wonder the more die hard Scooby enthusiasts now choose to use the 22b BBS. This one is getting childish

Phil
Old 21 May 2000, 10:53 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Angry

*whispering quietly* I'm happy with mine guys....and I picked it up last night......*sheepishly raising voice slightly*...personally I don't give a monkies about the Sti badging...in fact I'm quite proud of them....makes the car more of a Scoob. The STi (most versions, well all the latest) are great cars....so whats all the fuss about. STi's are great....the P1 is not an STi - but it uses plenty of its bits...therefore in my eyes it is also a great car! Yes it is expensive - I would not suggest or try and argue otherwise - but to all of us that have had them on order, and those of us lucky enough to have taken delivery - well, it was our choice!..Prior to the P1 I had a MY98, with performance pack, quick shift, PIAA spots, T1 alarm, Tracker - and in 98 that cost me approx £24k - no other mods. This was not because I didn't want additional mods...suspension...exterior...interior etc...plus the extra chips and bits and pieces that I don't even understand.

I made the decision to buy the P1 because in my eyes I wanted a car that didn't need to be tweeked any more (now I now that they can - I'm just saying I will probably be content with it just the way it is) - and in my eyes and having driven it over the weekend ...well...I have got it!...

So in rsponse to the htread...yea...I'm happy with my P1...and it wasw well worth the wait...

Cheers Rum
Old 21 May 2000, 10:53 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

I agree with u here Paul Gee and for the record, Im a non jealous STi driver. Dont get me wrong, I like the P1 alot, looks good with those wheels. The only thing is IMHO its over priced.
Stu

Quick Reply: ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOU P1?