Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watch out if your attending the Wales Rally GB (6th-9th November)

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2003, 08:04 PM
phil_r24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just read this over at the EVO Website website:

Rally 'Safety' Cameras Condemned

The ABD has condemned an announcement by the Mid & South Wales Safety Camera Partnership that they intend to target drivers attending the Wales Rally GB over the weekend of 6th-9th November.

Last year over 2300 drivers were caught by cameras deliberately set up between rally stages, and on bridges over the M4 motorway. Those caught included rally drivers Colin McRae, Richard Burns, Tommi Makinen, Carlos Sainz and Markko Martin.

Spokesman Mark McArthur-Christie said: "Speed Cameras are supposed to be deployed at accident blackspots, yet during last year's rally there were no serious accidents. There is absolutely no justification for targeting people attending a sporting event. The only possible motive behind this victimisation is financial."
Old 30 October 2003, 09:45 PM
JokerSTi
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Watch out for white vans parked in lay-byes. Also, I got pulled last year for driving with front fog lights on, on the m/way despite having just driven through a patch of fog!
Old 30 October 2003, 10:01 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Typical, its about time something was done about this [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] but at the end of the day there's **** all we can do
Old 31 October 2003, 12:59 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Is there sammy, me not think so. We could kick the sh*t outta them and their vans They would soon stop parking them up then wouldnt they lol!!!!
Old 31 October 2003, 06:57 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Level the playing field a bit, get a Road Angel and an LRC 100.
The kicking the sh*t out of the vans is a bit extreme, but I can see it coming to that if this persecution continues, and thats just what it is!
Perhaps the first person to spot a van should park right behind it and spoil their aim, is this legal though? Cant see why it shouldnt be ....................

[Edited by r32 - 10/31/2003 6:58:39 AM]
Old 31 October 2003, 07:01 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

There is absolutely no justification for targeting people attending a sporting event. The only possible motive behind this victimisation is financial
of course it is, 1000's upon 1000's of people about so they can make a massive profit over the w/e.

They should put more effort into making the rally better organised and enjoyable for the fans, not pick on em.
Old 31 October 2003, 07:34 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

http://www.arrivedeprived.org.uk
Old 31 October 2003, 08:51 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Can't justify it if there were no accidents [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

...still, I should be ok - we're taking the Landy
Old 31 October 2003, 08:54 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Some public spirited people need to go and park large transit/merc sprinter vans infront of their sh!tty little revenue vans.

Andy
Old 31 October 2003, 09:13 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

When I was in Spain last year at the Catalunya, public spirited people draped towels or something off bridges with Police written on them, further down the road speed cop scratching his head as everybody doing under the speed limit. If I was going this year I'd have no problem taking a couple of towels with speed cop written on em, then when seeing van or gun, turn around and drive 1/2 mile back and put it up. Nothing wrong with that is there.
Old 31 October 2003, 09:26 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

...so why not publicise exactly that idea on all the motoring BBSs between now and the Rally? It's a cracking idea!

Everyone's got old bathtowels knocking around - you know, ones that would otherwise make their way into the garage as rags. Anyway, spread the word! As many Rally attendees as possible should bring homemade "Speed trap" signs.

Writing the text in something like underseal, I reckon, would work well. Something that won't run if the material/towel/sheet/whatever gets wet.

Besides, even if the Police do suss it out and start removing the 'signs' then they'll be spending all their time taking down 10,000 homemade signs and not carrying out tax ambushes.
Old 31 October 2003, 09:42 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

The police are getting out of hand.....They were actually hidden (illegal i thourght) yesterday afternoon on the A505 on the Cambs/Herts border at Royston, parking their van just after going under a railway bridge and around a bend with lots of trees and shrubs.
It's not an accident blackspot that i'm aware of.

Just another tax. I wasn't caught by the way.
Old 31 October 2003, 10:00 AM
Listy
Scooby Regular

I'm right up for the Home-made warning signs idea... Last year was pretty good as most genuine rally and car enthusiasts were flashing each other every time a camera was exposed but even so I shall be removing a couple of towels from the category marked "DOG" and using them in a new category marked "PIG"..hehe
Old 31 October 2003, 10:02 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Money grabbing tossers!!!
Old 31 October 2003, 10:36 AM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

but at the end of the day there's **** all we can do
You could do the speed limit.

Are the Specs cameras on the M4 operational now. Heard they were switched on last Tuesday.
Old 31 October 2003, 10:47 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Isn't that a hoax?

Andy
Old 31 October 2003, 10:53 AM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Complete Hoax......

100% Fact
Old 31 October 2003, 10:54 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Aintbroke; this actually happened a good few years ago on the RAC; a team mechanic saw the speedtrap over a brow and parked half a mile before it with a warning sign. P!ssed off feds came to see why their supply of speeding drivers had dried up; discovered him and charged him with obstructing the Police in pursuance of their duty. I remember the article in CCC asking that all drivers and members of the public 'saved' by this bloke contribute to his legal expences.....

Simon
Old 31 October 2003, 11:02 AM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

In Eire the Gardia are so busy on A roads they don't get much time for B roads.

There are discussions happening now to privatise speed traps in a similar way to wheel clamping. Imagine that.
Old 31 October 2003, 11:48 AM
macka
Scooby Regular

If they privatise then more heavy handed tactics than towels would be fair play as far as I'm concerned - it just beggers belief that such a high degree of resource is allowed to be put into this kind of harrassment.

I think there will be a problem soon as so many hard working tax payers will be on the bread line due to losing their licences for what could be four really minor speeding offences.

Something really needs to be done about this.
Old 31 October 2003, 01:20 PM
newbie_scoobie
Scooby Regular

Old 31 October 2003, 01:25 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Sorry but Old_Fart says....
A minority of people attending the rally *will* speed and drive recklessly after watching the event and getting 'revved' up themselves and something should be done to prevent them causing, or being involved in, accidents. A high profile anti-speeding police presence is , therefore, a good idea IMHO. It's the same as when you are going home after a track day, adrenalin pumping, you are king of the road...it's happened to all(well many) of us.
Rgds
Chuck
Old 31 October 2003, 01:28 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Angry

Following on from GC8:

So if I see someone about to break the law, e.g. throw a brick through a jewellers window, or grab someone's handbag, then I'm not allowed to intervene There's no difference IMHO than seeing someone speeding and advising them to slow down, irrespective of whether there's a scamera around or not. If the mechanics sign had said "SLOW DOWN" or "DRIVE CAREFULLY" and not "SPEED CAMERA AHEAD" and he claimed not to know of the camera then what can he be accused of?

In fact by announcing that scameras will be operating and advising people to drive within limits, are the Safety Camera Partnership not "obstructing the Police in pursuance of their duty" the same as someone flashing an oncoming driver

The illogicality of the situation defies belief.
Old 31 October 2003, 01:37 PM
AllyB
Scooby Newbie

Was driving near Silverstone a month ago when a Golf came around the corner flashing his lights. Anyway the bloke in front got the message and slowed down and sure enough motorcycle cop further down with a speed gun. We went passed at around 30mph in a 60mph, he didnt look very happy. Thing is that he was so far away and on such a loverly long bit of road that I would have easly broke the speed limit as it was dry with good visibilty. Started using my Road Angel again, had got out of the habit.
Old 31 October 2003, 02:13 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

scamera
Typo or intentional it's funny and appropriate all the same.