Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sti v5 good buy or not?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2003, 08:19 PM
goon1001
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am in the RAf working in cyprus. looking at buying a 99 sti jap spec 4 door, in white. is fairly standard in styling. however it has what looks like a hks exhaust system 5 3/4 inch bore tail pipe, front mounted i/c, hks super power flow filte, greddy gauges, TT, and slightly lowered. with 55000 kms on the clock. its offered at £9500. is this a good buy and should i be looking out for anything on this perticular model?
Old 21 October 2003, 08:25 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Depending on the general condition e.t.c that is what we call cheap as chips..!!! in the uk a standard STI5 will go for £12,000-14,000..!!

Dan
Old 21 October 2003, 08:47 PM
goon1001
Scooby Newbie

the condion is good, no underseal but thats minor. i cannot see any scrapes the only thing puts me a bit in doubt is the rally type tires it seems to be shod in!! i mean they are very block design bridgestones that say studless on them. but good apart from that. sva shouldnt be a prob will it? i am sure there are lots of places you guys can advise me to go to. whats the fmic going to do for power with the air filter and zorst?
Old 21 October 2003, 10:31 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

goon, the FMIC is to reduce the intake air temperture still further to be able to increase boost. if it's been done properly, the ECU should have been changed for a programmable one to make use of the extra boost (dont forget uprated fuel pumps, knock sensor displays etc etc, bills for all the work and who's done it, the list goes on).

if all this has been done, its been tuned some which could mean your either getting a bargain or an expensive bill for repairs. the general condition should give this away. in the UK you'd pay £14,000 for a decent sti5 with the spec you describe.

stu.
Old 21 October 2003, 10:41 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

With the standard ECU (original map) and MAF I wouldn't like to have that filter on. They can cause MAF failures. Also unless it has had a re-map it may cause the engine to run lean risking det. In cyprus I would expect it to be more prone to it due to the increased intake temps but the FMI will help combat that.

advice. Try and find somebody on the island who can confirm it is running correctly.
Old 21 October 2003, 11:04 PM
Kane
Scooby Regular

underseal...mmm wonder if its an RA? Is it definate just an STI?