Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocklink display alternatives.

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2003, 07:26 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone manufacture a smaller display unit, incorporating the Link hardware?

I know scoobymania used to as I have their version of the Link AFR.
Old 20 October 2003, 08:51 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

ttt
Old 20 October 2003, 10:24 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 20 October 2003, 10:34 PM
Andy W STI
Scooby Regular

Performance Subaru here in NI have in the past done some fantastic installs for these but I believe they are a bit labour intensive.
performancesubaru.co.uk/
Andy

[Edited by Andy W STI - 10/20/2003 10:34:57 PM]
Old 20 October 2003, 10:36 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Don't know of any other display module but i know a few people have taken the L.E.Ds off the knocklink module and put em on their pods along with the gauges makin it look tidy...

You have to dismantle the knocklink module and wire up new L.E.D's to do it. There should be a thread here on general about it... its something i'm going to be doing soon..
Old 20 October 2003, 10:44 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The circuit inside the KnockLink is relatively simple to understand and emulate, so anyone with a modicum of electronic knowledge would have no problem whatosever producing a facsimile.

As stated, plenty of peeps have relocated the LED's out of the box, which is probably the most practical option for the majority.
Old 20 October 2003, 11:01 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have any instructions on an install that involves relocating the LEDs.

I can find plenty on the basic installation so don't start yelling SEARCH at me.

Cue Dan

Trending Topics

Old 20 October 2003, 11:28 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

ahem http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=257365

Don't be afraid of the power of the search

Mike @ Scoobymania said they were chaning suppliers and would do an alternative. That was (so it seems) a lifetime ago. I guess they've given up on the idea

Stefan
Old 21 October 2003, 12:22 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Dan

As mentioned by GM the circuitry isn't too complex and fairly simple to do as long as you know some basic electronics.

I've been meaning to do mine for a while now but havn't got round to it.. and i've ordered Gauges,need to buy a pod, and then i'll be extending the L.E.D connections out of the knock link module...

I'll post up how i go about doing this...

Basically open the knock link box which contains the electronic circuitry and you'l find the five L.E.D's soldered to the circuit bored...

As you look at the circuit board upside down with the L.E.D's to your right you should see 5 solder points all on one track.
These are the L.E.D's positive connections (power supply).

Adjacent to these five solder points are five more solder points. These are the L.E.D inputs or IC outputs (IC as in intergrated circuit and not Intercooler as most of us scooby owners would read )

Now you know which track is which for the L.E.D's.

Disconect the L.E.D's by de-soldering them from the circuit board.

If you get them off without damaging them you can use the same L.E.D's or you can buy new ones.

Now for the extensions

For the power supply (+ve) you only need take one wire from the right hand track as apposed to taking a wire from each solder point as this is a common track for all the L.E.D's.

Then you need to take a wire for each one of the L.E.D inputs (IC output) use differnt colours for 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th or label them. This helps you remember the order if you get the order wrong way round you'l have orange lighting first and greens last!

Mount the L.E.D's where you want them and then attach the extension wires to the L.E.D's.

The +ve supply wire to the long leg of the L.E.D's which is also the rounded side of the L.E.D.
Because i said take one wire for the supply you will need to connect the L.E.D legs toghther to this one wire.. eighther solder or some kind of connector. alternatively you can bring a seperate supply wire for each L.E.D which will take more time to do.

and the L.E.D input wires (IC output) to the short leg of the L.E.D which is also the flat notch side of the L.E.D.

I'm not sure of the IC's output current so if the L.E.D's dont eluminate brightly it could be that the extension wires are too long thus draining current.

I havn't done this myself but i'm pretty sure this is how its done and its what i will be doing

Hope this helps

Franko
Old 21 October 2003, 01:16 PM
Buttyawayfromhome
Scooby Regular

I'm half way completing the DIY led AFR gauge that was going around on SN a couple of years ago. At the time it was discussed that a similar circuit could be done for a home made knock gauge, but I heard nothing more.
Was there any further development?

Nick
1997 Forester S/tb