ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Noob - questions about my first Scoobs!

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2003, 12:01 PM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello!

Picked up MY02 WR Blue WRX about 10 days ago so I thought I'd join up and find out a few bits!

The good...

Car handles like a dream but caught me out after just 15 miles, hit a roundabout in 2nd got near redline by the apex and a heap of a car just pulls out and almost stalls in front of me, not one to panic I touch the brakes and feel assured we'll not hit the car or the roundabout, then a little suprise as the back end starts the come round on me and I'm left a foot away for the roundabout facing where I just came from Not done anything like that since but I learnt a bit of a lessson I can tell ya!

The bad
Fuel consumption is terrible - I'm getting around 150 miles per tank ave so far. Is this normal or am I just driving like a ****?

Few faults - anybody got similar ones?

Stereo - just cuts out to silence or nasty noises on both radio and CD every now and then. (will replace but can anyone suggest where to get the fitting kit from?)

Wash and spray - wash is ok but I've never sprayed!

Heater - makes a nasty noise when I turn it up full, like its rubbing.

Booked it in with the dealer so hopefully they'll put it all right.

Other that these minor issues I'm loving the car after a series of front wheel drives like Golf Gti and 1.8T this car feels like the absolute nuts!

I'll try and post some piccies when I get the chance.

Anyways give us a wave if you see me

PS - what does the MY stand for ? I just saw other people using it ie MY03 Sti etc...

[Edited by iDLe* - 10/16/2003 12:02:52 PM]

[Edited by iDLe* - 10/16/2003 12:03:18 PM]

[Edited by iDLe* - 10/16/2003 12:05:09 PM]
Old 16 October 2003, 12:12 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

MY stand for Model Year.

Get used to the little noises here and there thats part n parcel of scooby ownership

The bad
Fuel consumption is terrible - I'm getting around 150 MPG
Are you running on some kinda super fuel we lot havn't heard about? we've been cracking our heads tryna figure out why some us are able to do 32Mpg and your doing 150MPG
Old 16 October 2003, 12:16 PM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

I was guessing that may be the case with little bits and pieces and rattles, end of the day I don't really care as the drive is all that matters.

Apologies for my slack fuel consumption reporting, I did go back and edit it quickly but you beat me to it!

I'm figuring thats about 18/19 MPG on regular unleaded which is a bit of a b*tch. But I did have a Golf VR6 that did about 14MPG for a lot less BHP so I guess its not all bad.
Old 16 October 2003, 12:16 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

ooh you've edited your post lol

If you drive hard alot of the time your fuel consumption can go into single figures... some people are getting 32mpg so it really does depend on how you drive... give the good old turbo a break and save some fuel

Old 16 October 2003, 12:20 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Your using regular unleaded?!
Regular unleaded can damage your engine by causing det...

Use optimax if you can... its alot better for your engine and you'll get slightly better mpg
Old 16 October 2003, 12:24 PM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

Easier said than done mate - my brain says chill, drive slowly and save your fuel young man....my scoobs say Screw that you big ***** show me what you got! So far the scoobs seems to win all the arguments!
Old 16 October 2003, 12:26 PM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

I did try a tank of 97 Ron Super but I never noticed the difference. I did read somewhere that the ECU needs to adjust so should I only be using Optimax or Super Unleaded?
Old 16 October 2003, 12:34 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Some people are using SUL regular but only because they cant get optimax from where they live... In my opinion Optimax is best...
You should deffo notice a difference using Optimax but your ECU will adjust to this over time... (to do with advancing the ignition timing) you can reset your ECU and this will make it adjust immediatly... i think reseting is done by disconecting the battery and then reconecting ... this may be different for certain models though and i'm not sure how its done on your motor... i'm pretty sure someone else on here will know for deffinate
Old 16 October 2003, 12:35 PM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

OK cool - I'll have a look for some Optimax and use that for a while. I'll let you know what happens !

Thanks for the info!
Old 16 October 2003, 12:52 PM
monstermunch
Scooby Regular

Wink

iDLe* the '02' is a very nice handler but it still can be improved,so I recomend for improvements that your running F1 eagles, uprated springs like the prodrive type will also make a big difference and a strut brace which will make a small improvement but still worth doing, having your geometry setup correctly is also a must.

welcome to scoobynet

MM
Old 16 October 2003, 01:03 PM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

Cheers Monstermunch!

Yeah tires I have, standard Potenza's seems ok but could do with something a bit better. I may upgrade some bits but I think I'm happy with the car the way it is....for now!