Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Intercooler shields

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2003, 12:31 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My current WRX 's intercooler is mashed , loads of bent fins etc , this is a company car so it doesnt really matter , however I soon take delivery of a STi8 which is mine so would like to look after it a bit , are there any guards / shields available for the intercooler fins and if so would they have any possible affect on warranty

thanks in advance
Old 16 October 2003, 12:38 AM
Nick98
Scooby Regular

Tricky one - the intercooler is there to cool, so if you start putting obstructions in the way (guards etc) then it won't do what its meant to do. You might get away with mesh but engine temperatures, and associated sensors, are fairly critical, especially in these days of total ECU control. Thus proceed with extreme caution, or better still don't do it and put up with the stone marks.
Old 16 October 2003, 05:01 AM
BretMan
Scooby Regular

An ice cream stick is good for straightening them out, or alternatively try staying a bit back from cars in front...
Old 16 October 2003, 08:24 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I have been told about a mesh intercooler protector available to cover the intercooler but have yet to locate one. I'm sure one of the scoobs on show at Santa Pod had one, couldn't find anyone to ask where it was from though.
Old 16 October 2003, 08:37 AM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Power Engineering sell intercooler shields.

I know they definitely do them for all Scoobs incl. STi7/8 coz they took the measurements from my STi7 intercooler
Old 16 October 2003, 09:02 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info!

TUNING ACCESSORIES - INTERCOOLER SHIELD

Most people do not realise how much of a reduction in efficiency and cooling is caused by the intercooler fins becoming bent. This restricts the air flow through it and therefore decreases its heat exchanging abilities.

The intercooler shield is a cover that protects the intercooler fins. The cover comes with fitting instructions and mounting screws. Suitable for all Imprezas.
Power Engineering Website Here
Old 16 October 2003, 10:23 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

That looks likethe sort of thing though it looks like you may have to drill the intercooler surround to fit it which may cause problems if you have to remove it for servicing/warranty
Old 16 October 2003, 11:28 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Rotty, what the hell are you on about, why would you need to remove it for servicing or warranty work ? What would you do if you put different tyres to what was on it when you bought it, would you change them for service or warranty.
Ohh dont forget and remove your non standard tax disc holder as well.

Dont be to upset by my post as i'm ROTFPMSL.

Zippy

Old 16 October 2003, 01:40 PM
DaveMcC
Scooby Regular

I have one of these on my UK MY00 - doesn't seem to cause any problems running, and has caused no grief with the main dealer. Relatively easy to fit - I took the i/c off to drill the rivets out for fear of hitting something underneath when the drill broke through, but used it as an excuse to fit silicon hoses at the same time.

I have a knocklink fitted, and have never seen more than the second green light (except when hitting rev limiter). If the shield affected cooling the most likely effect would be knock.

Dave
Old 16 October 2003, 02:37 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

I've seen these, and they seem quite expensive for what they are. I'm trying to make one myself using steel mesh, which should cost less than a tenner and includes a nice painted logo, so I'll post up pics when I'm done. I made a pretty good job of the mesh guard for the radiator, so it shouldn't be too hard.

T
Old 16 October 2003, 03:59 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Exactly Tony, i made mine from stainless steel mesh in 10 minutes at a cost of £10 and i've still got a large sheet of it left.
I used some to block the lower section off on my MY01 front bumper.

Zippy
Old 16 October 2003, 04:13 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Question

Zippy,

Where did you get your mesh from ? I've checked B&Q and Focus, but they only do the chicken-wire type ie. holes too big. Might stop chickens getting in my intercooler though........

Cheers,

Tony