Sponsored by:

Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2003, 02:18 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

How do you stand in terms of the warranty when changing the exhaust system, I’ve got the PPP fitted but does this mean I will only ever be able to have the Prodrive exhaust parts?
What if I change the back box, or replace the down pipe does it all have to come from the dealers and the the exact same parts to remain within the warranty?
Also how about fitting sensors such as knock-link or Defi gauges, does this screw the warranty…?

Any advice on this guys will be very welcome!

Dazza
Old 13 October 2003, 02:33 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

ANY non-subaru authorised mods will invalidate your warrenty...

Just buy the PPP - and forget the rest.. if it goes bang IM will fix it for you... simple as that. You cant even change the back box!

Dont listen to ANYONE who tells you the odd little seemingly innocent mod will be ok - down to panel filters etc - they wont.

IM have cottoned on to the mods game and IMHO see it as a quick and easy way to get out of warrenty claims - so just dont do it!

Jza
Old 13 October 2003, 02:34 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation

I believe the offical Prodrive veiw is, IIRC, if you replace any exhaust componant other than like for like your Warranty is void

Gauges and Knock sensor are fine, it things that alters performance which are an issue

Tony

[Edited by T5NYW - 10/13/2003 2:41:53 PM]
Old 13 October 2003, 02:47 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

If you change anything that is not a standard Subaru part, especially engine related i.e ecu remap/air filter/downpipe/backbox/dump valve then Subaru can use it as a get out clause should the worse happen, sometimes it's worth giving them a call as some dealers will allow it depending on the type of mod i.e brakes etc.

A fair few people including myself will change some of the above as they are not classed as heavy mods and can easily be replaced by the old standard parts if you keep them, should a issue occur, But by no means is it guaranteed that you will keep your warrenty upon reversal however can sometimes be very difficult to prove.

Exstensive modding like new cylinder heads/Uprated fuel pump/bigger turbos /uprated Inter cooler/uprated Injectors or any internal work you may be better waiting until your warrenty runs out hence one of the reason you see so many heavily moded classics.

Hope that helps

Maddy

[Edited by Maddy - 10/13/2003 2:48:15 PM]
Old 13 October 2003, 04:15 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep that's what i thought and was the main reason i went for a UK car with the PPP, just to be sure the warranty's ok. To be honest Goldens are very good, and have changed firstly 4 prodrive wheels due to blemishes apearing and secondly its going back on friday becouse the gears are way too slack, keep ending up in third not fifth. Service guy just had a quick go and said yep we'll get a new gear lever bushes... no problems and makes me feel it was worth paying the extra $$$ originaly.