Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Performance increase questions

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2000, 12:53 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Moray. I agree with you on the brakes, especially as no ABS! Do you recommend just going for better discs and pads all round or going for a four-pot, eg; SS brembo, conversion?

Should I do just the front or all four corners when it comes to a conversion?
Old 18 May 2000, 09:37 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Question

Mornin'

I know that standard my 1994 WRX Wagon allegedly pushes out 215bhp (220ps)

I have a couple of questions.

How much extra bhp would the full HKS SuperDrager system add?

Also it has a HKS 'green mushroom' type thingy which replaces the standard airbox and filter. Firstly, is this an induction kit? secondly how much extra bhp would da 'shroom add?

I know it's a bit sad but I'd like a quick guesstimate on this.

I know that for a more accurate figure I'll need to get my baby onto a Dyno, so where's the nearest place to me, I'm in Tunbridge Wells in Kent. Would ScoobySport in Basildon be the closest? (do they have a dyno?)
Old 18 May 2000, 11:09 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Fitting an exhaust and air filter will improve the engines response and free up it's top end a bit... it won't add a very significant amount of power, but you will feel the other gains.

The HKS filter is particularly noisy on the older engine.

You would probably get better gains for less money if you buy one of the uk built complete exhaust systems like Stef's one.

I would suggest getting a properly mapped unichip fitted along with a good exhaust system (with downpipe if possible) and a cone filter (if you don't mind the noise). The unichip can get the best out of the other bits you fit.

However... the best upgrade to make first... is... wait for it... sorting the brakes out! Fix these and it's like bolting 50 to 100 bhp on.

Moray
(Been there (96wrx wagon), done that(tuned it)... didn't bother with the T-shirt or video. )
Old 18 May 2000, 01:17 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

It depends what you want and how you intend to drive. AP/Brembo/Tarox are all good, but there is no point going to that much expense if you rarely reach the limits of the standard brakes. Obviously, you can safely carry more speed if you have more powerfull stoppers, but you can improve the standard kit quite a bit with lines, disks and pads.

Do you intend to do track days on a semi-regular basis? If so, I wouls suggest a complete brake kit, as the standard brakes, even the STI 4 pots, won't last long on a track before fading to a smoking, useless state.

With a 4wd car with so little weight over the back axle (even in the wagon ), you should not overbrake the rear wheels and upset the overall braking balance... the car would become dangerously happy to spin whilst braking. If you do uprate the fronts, it may be worth looking at the back brakes, but a pad change is probably sufficient.

Remember that when you lift off, the rear wheels aren't freewheeling on our cars, they are actually "engine braked" slightly, which is part of the reason that these cars are so lift-off oversteer happy. Not entirely relevant, but helps when considering braking balance...

Moray
Old 18 May 2000, 04:26 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Wink

The HKS Green Mushroom thingy is indeed an induction kit, so you've got your filter sorted already

I just put one on my MY98 UK to compliment my Scooby sport mid section and back box and its grrrreaatt

James
Grrrrrrr-Whoooshhh-pffffttt-rooaaarrr

Old 18 May 2000, 04:38 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

James,

Just to be pedandic (my middle name ), the nuclear mushroom is simply replacing the airbox and filter element, not the whole induction system, as a genuine WRC style induction kit would, hence calling the cone filter an "Induction kit" isn't strictly speaking accurate.

Makes more interesting noises than the airbox though.

Moray pedantic Mackenzie
Old 18 May 2000, 04:45 PM
davidaprice
Scooby Regular

James

Ive got the same HKS Induction kit (I know its not really Moray ) along with an HKS Hiper Centre and rear section, soon to have scoobysport downpipe too

You are completely right, it all makes fantastic noises, and with the Possumlink fitted it goes as good as it sounts too!

Dave
Old 18 May 2000, 05:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Moray:
Once again you provide the goods, you are a very decent bloke!

Doubt I'd ever do a track day, mainly as SuzyQ would nick the car and get out on the track before me So the brembo, etc... upgrade might not be a worthwhile investment. Having said that though SuzyQ has reminded me that I'm not having a new car for a very, very, very long time (ie; never!) and so it might be worth sorting the brakes for the long term that I'm going to have the scoob for.

As a stopgap, mainly due to money, I'd go for just the discs and brakes. What would you recommend? Ferrodo, Tarox, Black Diamond (for discs) and Pagid, Greenstuff, Mintex (for pads)???

Rest of the Gang:
Anyone actaully going to take a guess at the performance???
Old 18 May 2000, 06:04 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi all!

Markus as you know I have changed the standard sliding callipers to STI – 4 pots! Improvement? – SLIGHTLY!

If you just wanted to change the discs and pads then there are many aftermarket upgrades you can go for. Before my Scoob I had a 205 GTI 1.9 which was fantastic apart from the standard brakes. After a couple of hard brakes on a decent road, the brakes would turn to jelly along with your confidence.

I then plumped for G-Force Sport 2000 disks and pads at the front and sport pads at the rear along with freshly bled system of DOT 5.1 fluid (which the Scoob has as well!). Needless to say a complete transformation!

The pads had a reasonable wear rate and the disks seemed to made of good material (didn’t wear!)! even on the most brutal roads in N. Wales they still wouldn’t give in! this is the combination I would have gone for again had the STI’s not been available!

Hope this helps!

James

P.S. all ineed now is some braided hoses!
Old 18 May 2000, 07:22 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Markus,

If you can stretch to it, Hi Spec (Dartford) do a brake conversion for the standard calipers to bigger disks (315mm x 28mm). Costs approx £350 + VAT + £50 fitting. They sell braided hoses at £8+VAT each also.

I had Black Diamond disks before (which I'm hoping to sell ) which are an improvement but not a massive one.

I also have a MRT brake bracket fitted which stops the brake master cylinder moving when pushing the pedal - this improves feel also - see