Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can Insurance companies get away with this?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2003, 08:53 AM
The Gilly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have just moved house. I have moved exactly 1.3 miles (about half that as the crow flies)

Did the usual telling everyone (bank etc etc) that I'd moved house. Also told my insurance.

Got a letter through yesterday stating they needed to take a further £85 ontop of the £1355 I pay for my policy plus the £439 I pay for my mods.

i phoned up as I couldn't believe it and the girl on the other end of the phone confirmed the above.

£85!!! where do these people get off.

when she asked if I'd like to pay it now I calmly said no. Then i said I intend to go and find a policy elsewhere. She didn't seem bothered by this at all.

I will be sending a further letter tomorrow.

Old 07 October 2003, 09:03 AM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

They work it out using post codes, presumably you must have moved into a slightly "higher risk" area. It does seem they will find any way they can to squeeze out a bit more.
Old 07 October 2003, 09:17 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Funny how you never see posts saying "I've moved AND got money off my insurance" though isn't it!
Old 07 October 2003, 09:17 AM
The Gilly
Scooby Regular

I hate them all that's all I can say. Phoned around to get a better quote as frankly I couldn't care less who I'm insured with. everyone else is over 3K!
Old 07 October 2003, 09:25 AM
GaryScoobNCBR
Scooby Regular

Insurance companies are the suckiest of suckers

They should be sent to columbia for a trek in the jungle to meet the friendly locals..

How they can get away with this is criminal

My sisters mate is soo bad at driving its not even funny..yet she pays about £200

I also pay £1500 and they want £400 just to change a Fekng back box

Sucks
Old 07 October 2003, 09:32 AM
T2000PPP
Scooby Regular

Its legalised day light robbery.Take,take,take.Then they wonder why theres so many poeple driving around with no insurance.
Old 07 October 2003, 09:39 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear it, but it can work the other way as well.

My parents have had a wrangle with the post office for some time as their post code was wrongly listed, and the one they were given was for the council estate in the next town about half a mile away.

Post office have now amended the code properly and my sisters car insurance has gone down by quite an amount.

Still agree with you though - robbing gits.
Old 07 October 2003, 09:49 AM
Andy486
Scooby Regular

I had to pay an extra £50 for moving 1 mile even though my new address had a garage when the old one didn't.
Old 07 October 2003, 09:51 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

They sometimes charge you just for changing the details! changed premises at my work place and was charged £200 just for changing the details although i got a refund as the new place is smaller and less insurance premium but they found a way of keeping £200!

They need to be regulated by some kind of law and if there already is one it should be toughned up.

Be tough with them and hopefully they'll agree to not charge you xtra.

All the best

Franko
Old 07 October 2003, 10:15 AM
Dan_P
Scooby Regular

Tell them you'll park it outside your old house and get a bus from hopuse to car everyday

£485 xtra for mods?
have you tried liverpool victoria? you can do whatever mods you want as long as you dont change the engine capacity, you dont even have to let them know! also if you keep the reciept's the value of your mods is covered too. and they are pretty cheap too (saved me £500 this year)
Old 07 October 2003, 10:17 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Just to prove that insurance cos. are sometimes (once in a blue moon when it's flying season for the pigs) reasonable...

I moved from London to the IOW, and they gave me some money back - about 1/3 of my policy amount after it haad run for 6 months.
Old 07 October 2003, 10:20 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

"I've moved AND got money off my insurance"
Bob,

When I was a student I lived in Rusholme in Manchester. When I moved back to my parents house in Surrey, I got two thirds of my policy back!!!! (2 months into the new policy!)
Old 07 October 2003, 10:23 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
We moved about two miles into an old peoples residential area and we got cheaper insurance I think it was something like 50 quid off bringing it down to 435 (for a clio 1.2)
Old 07 October 2003, 10:29 AM
The Gilly
Scooby Regular

i guess these dont mix:

modded
wrx
import
london
24yrs old

think I'd better sell up and use the money I'll save to buy beer to cry into.
Old 07 October 2003, 10:46 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Good God, reading what some of you think we're almost at the point of getting the boiling tar and feathers!

Insurance companies are still in some cases paying out more than they take in. This is unsustainable.

I have received a cheque back from my insurers when I have moved. It happens. Try moving from Leeds student central to Rugby... 45% of policy back

Insurance companies have to cover their costs - they are in this to make money. Car insurance is not making the money that some of you think! Reason? Scum sucking fake personal injury claimants... IMHO. (Nothing against genuine claimants, but the first thing you hear after an accident is "sue 'em".)

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 07 October 2003, 10:48 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

and they wonder why there is so many people driving without insurance.

disgusting
Old 07 October 2003, 10:57 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

move up to cumbria
(where men are men and sheep live in fear)

£399 fully comp with lots of mods
through Liverpool Victoria
Old 07 October 2003, 11:05 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

chiark, that's a good point, but you have to admit that a lot of the time insurance companies don't play fair.

In December 2001 I was involved in an accident when a lorry hit my car whilst I was stationary in traffic. I lost a year's NCD because I didn't have enough to have protected it. Then, on Easter Monday 2002 my car was damaged when the car standing next to it was torched. I lost 2 years NCD for that because it was a second claim within the policy period. When it came to renewal time the insurer declined to renew my insurance, even though neither claim had been my fault.

However, I was still pursuing the insurance company of the lorry driver that hit me and a few weeks ago, when they finally got the court papers through, they gave in, admitted full liability and paid out. So, the insurance company has now recovered on the first claim, and I think I should get the year's no claims back, plus one year of the two years they took for the fire damage, since that it effectively now the first claim. But, as I am now insured with a different company because the original one refused to re-insure me, I've been told I can't have the NCD back. Now tell me that's fair?

[Edited by TurboKitty - 10/7/2003 11:07:01 AM]
Old 07 October 2003, 11:16 AM
The Gilly
Scooby Regular

no matter which way you look at it Insurance is the biggest con in this country after petrol. IMHO of course
Old 07 October 2003, 11:26 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Well of all the insurance agents I know, none of them have to scrimp

My previous insurer lives a few doors up from me, drives a TT Cabriolet, goes skiing a lot and has FIVE motorbikes, one which he races at weekends for fun. Cant be doing too badly

They do take the **** sometimes - missus has just lost 12 months NCD cos she cancelled the policy with 1 month to go due to buying a new car. She phoned them (and got through to a guy in India that couldnt speak English) They wanted £100 extra for 1 month so we cancelled.

She has now lost the last 12 months NCD.
Old 07 October 2003, 11:27 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Shouldn't you be working Chris!
Old 07 October 2003, 11:28 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

This really is quite simple, if someone turned up on your doorstep and gave you £1,000 in crisp notes for their policy for year and said:
I smash my car up - you pay
I smash a third parties car up - you pay
I maim / kill someone / myself - you pay
All with unlimited liability

Nobody likes paying it, but would take on the above for a £1k ?

D
Old 07 October 2003, 11:42 AM
Rog Ford
Scooby Regular

Selling insurance is a loser's game - literally.

You have to look at all the possible risks, and try set a premium that matches each risk.

For some people you'll have overestimated the risk - and priced the premium too high. On others, you'll have underestimated it, and priced the premium too low.

Now guess which of these policies you'll sell? Yup, all the underpriced ones and none of the overpriced ones.

And, of course, if you try to be "fair" to your customers and offer a good service - no extra charges, rebates for moving to a lower area, decent repair garages with courtesy cars - you'll have to increase your premiums a bit. You then find the punters all buy on price alone, and whinge like hell when they get bad service from the cheapest company they could find.
Old 07 October 2003, 11:43 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Dunk - not quite that simple...

If 5,000 people turned up at my door, each with their £1000 then I might consider it... (Provided I could vet the people first)

After all, I can think of a few ways in which £5M can make money, before I have to start giving it back to people.

It's all lies and statistics!
Old 07 October 2003, 11:51 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Dunk

Its not that simple. Infact its far more complicated. Insurance is a buisness not one person. Buisneses don't generally deal with one customer. Insurance companies have thousands of policies and not ALL the policies make a claim especially when they are doing their upmost to build on their no claims bonus. (another trick to avoid paying out)

Ok they do have the risk of a very large payout in some circumstance IF such a circumstance was to happen. However at the same time they have the opertunity to invest the money gained from policies and make more money from it.

Therefore insurance companies pay out alot less than what they take in. Yet they ROB us left right and centre for whatever measily excuse they find.
Old 07 October 2003, 04:57 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Exactly - I have paid circa £900 per year for the past 10 years and never claimed once - I wouldonly ever claim if I wrote an expensive car off.

So thats £9000 they have had off me, and I have never had anything back, except the peace of mind knowing I am legal.
Old 07 October 2003, 09:01 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Funny how you never see posts saying "I've moved AND got money off my insurance" though isn't it!
Moved to a new area - my insurnace halved!!

Sorry, probably not what you want to hear

Dan
Old 07 October 2003, 09:01 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Might as well add my rant,
Which other industry or company that you give over a £1000 to for a product, which on the very rare occasion that you actually need to claim on will then try and do their utmost to get out of paying out for exactly the thing you paid them to cover in the first place?, when have you ever heard of anyone getting full price for a written off car other than new for old in the first year? Insurance companies are like farmers who claim there is no money in it as they get into their brand new Merc, no mention of the last 20 years when they were making shed loads, they are not paying out more than they take in, they are just not making as much clear profit as they used to!
Old 07 October 2003, 09:42 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Red face

lol I love it when people with absolutely no facts state them as if they are world experts.

Im currently working for an insurance company who take a liking in football, expecially cups...

they pay out 108% (which is VERY low) of what they collect as premiums on motor insurance, they have to try to make 8% return before they have to pay the money out TO BREAK EVEN

don't forget that you may be insured by a broker, this isnt the ins co. In my (industry) experience its generally brokers who are the ones pumping the fees. ive seen a 70 refund to policy holder get taken as an admin fee, and someone who should pay approx £10 be made to pay £50.

Also who does anything for free? You move address, why should the Ins company send you a nice new shiny set of docs for free? Does the company you work for allow you to change something that was orignally sold differently for free?

There are so many factors leading to high premiums, the main two factors that have changed in more recent years being Cars cost a LOT more to repair and scum that make false claims.

Remember you have to have insurance but you dont have to drive a fast, highly knickable scum attracting car. Wanna save money? buy a 10 year old 950cc fiesta.

Simple really

robski
Old 07 October 2003, 10:11 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

robski

So what your saying is there are hundreds of insurance companies in buisness and that they are there to provide people with employment and drivers with policies and at the end of the day break even? Non profit making organisations? hmmm

I think the main reason people don't buy a 10yr old 950cc fiesta type car is because it would cost £50 to buy and £600 to insure.

Quick Reply: How can Insurance companies get away with this?