Sponsored by:

New WRX with Pro Drive Eng Pack

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2003, 05:39 PM
macka
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I've just orderred a new WRX with the Pro Drive engine pack, I'm having it fitted by the dealer straight away, can anyone give me any useful tips on runnig in and comments on the difference between the older WRX and what improvements this years model gets. Nearly bought an STI but too firm a ride for every day use - what a car though with the Engine Pack on, awesome! Will my WRX with Engine Pack be much slower?
Old 05 October 2003, 07:20 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc
The same run in process applies as for all scoob's. Make sure for the first 1000 miles you dont strain the engine (keep it below 4k revs and dont let the engine struggle at low revs).

Make sure you have the first "free" service done at 1000 miles on the button where the oil is changed and then you can start to have some fun.

In answer to your question about performance, the WRX'03 PPP (which I think is what you have) is roughly equivalent to the STI'03 in standard form (although the figures are misleading as the STI has a 6 speed box rather than the WRX's 5 speeder). The STI'03 with PPP is quicker and has alot more torque.
Old 05 October 2003, 07:41 PM
macka
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info Beefy, you're right it is the 03 PPP - does it make much difference to the std WRX?. I test drove the PPP'd STI first, then a std WRX - would definately have bought the STI had it not been for 35k/year mileage on that firm suspension. The WRX was much smoother on all roads(not that most STI owners would see this as a bennefit!) I'm hoping it still feels really quick but the wife will be OK with the ride!!
Old 05 October 2003, 07:55 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

I've got a MY03 WRX +PPP and the car is feckin cool.I've been timed 0-60 4.52 and a lap of brands on the GP circuit at 1'55 which I think considering it was on the tyres it came with is pretty respectable.

I kept to the 4000rpm most of the time
Had the service on the Friday and went to Brands on the following Tuesday. Apart from one minor glitch the car has been an absolute hoot to drive as I also do a fair amount of mileage.

I've found on several meets I can hold my own with most of the STis

VROOM VROOM
Old 06 October 2003, 07:30 PM
macka
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nice one Supercue - glad to hear I'm in good company with the WRX and PPP. Can't wait to pick the car up on Saturday, it will be hard to take it easy for 1k!

cheers

macka