ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Question for the Plod on the BBS

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2000, 09:53 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I keep meaning to check this but can never get around to it. What is the law about fitting and using 3 or 4 pot harnessess on the roads. I have had the all clear to fit them, but just wanted to find out the legal stance.

Thanks Dan
Old 16 May 2000, 10:11 PM
richm
Scooby Regular

Technically I don't think you will get an MOT, I have had problems in the past; can't remember why exactly, I'll try and find out.

The kit car builders get a similar problem with the Single Vehicle Approval test, they generally fit static belts just for the purpose of the test and change them later.

I'm sure I remember a quote from Willans (harness manufacturer) saying that the 4-point is not approved for road use.

I'll try and find out and clarify that.

rich
Old 16 May 2000, 10:16 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

For info my mates Caterham has just got through SVA with 5 point harnesses fitted, along with the 24 others doing the caterham academy series
Old 16 May 2000, 10:26 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

I spoke to a guy a couple of months back who had fitted harnesses in his WRX RA. From what he said, it seems that harnesses are legal for road use provided that they use a one-handed release type catch. I.e. you can release the harness as you would a seatbelt - with one hand.

I seem to remember him saying something about the harness also having to use the standard seatbelt mounting points too.

His insurers were happy with him using harnesses on his road car anyhow.

Sorry for the vague advice!

Andrew
Old 16 May 2000, 10:31 PM
Andy H
Scooby Regular

Smile

I got pulled years ago by the police in my MKII Mexico for not wearing seatbelts.

I was wearing a 4 point at the time and after the secound copper and stopped talking the pi** out of his mate they said that there was no problem with wearing a harness.

I belive that to pass an mot the belt has to be able to be fitted with one hand, which is just about possible with one hand and a bit of practice

Never had to get it MOT'd because some lowlife pinched it 2 weeks before it
was due

Andy H
Old 16 May 2000, 11:40 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I asked Dick Grimes about this a couple of months back. They are not legal for road use, they are only mildly allowed if you are using the car for competition, and are moving the car between stages or events. You also have to keep the original belts in.

It was a while back so i may have got some fo the facts wrong, but he said they are definitely not allowed in a pure road car.

[This message has been edited by Ian Cook (edited 16-05-2000).]
Old 17 May 2000, 12:34 AM
brumster
Scooby Regular

I agree. I've got two kit cars both with harnesses in and have had no problems with inspections/MOT's. As pointed out, cars entered into rally events (eg. RAC) must be road legal and you don't see them running around with inertia reel systems in 'em!

Regards the locking mechanism, yes it must be possible to fit the belt with one hand (which rules out the rally-style quick-release clips on some harnesses). However I must admit I do know of people with these in road cars, even though they technically shouldn't get through the MOT. I guess some inspectors just don't know about the ruling.

The only other important aspect is the positioning of the mounting points. These have to be within a certain range, depending largely upon seat dimensions (and hence where the driver's neck is going to be positioned).

Obviously the belts have to be up to a certain standard - not sure which but would presume they need to be BSI approved (kite marked) or some European equivalent. But harness 'per se' are not illegal in road cars.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 17 May 2000, 07:46 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Would have to disagree, I know of people with road cars fitted with 4point harnesses as standard. Porsche GT3, Ferrari 348 'competizione' and various caterhams. All of these had harnesses as standard fit, and thus must pass an MOT. Plus doesn't the Lotus 340R come with a 4point harness? The point about single handed release sounds probable though.
Old 17 May 2000, 08:07 AM
DLG
Scooby Newbie

Both our rally cars are fitted with 4 point harnesses and have to be both road legal and have a current MOT. Both harnesses can be released by single hand.
Old 17 May 2000, 09:23 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Been through all this myself a while back.

The harness must be a one-hand release type.

Must have an 'E' mark and must the same or higher than that on the standard seatbelt.

For instance, the standard belts on my GT4 are marked "E04" so the harness must have the orange label as well with the number the same or higher.

The actual fit of the harness, well, that is down to the MoT testing station. But mine are fitted to the standard seatbelt mounting points.

Cheers

Ian