Sponsored by:

Scooby Island - you don't know what you all missed

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2003, 09:38 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

For the last 5 days the Isle of Man has been Scooby Island. The fantastic roads, mostly with no speed limit, were home to about 15 visiting Scoobs and several Manx Scoobs on the SIDC Manx Cavalcade.

The highlight was two runs across the Mountain Road section of the TT road circuit which was closed for our benefit, at speeds of well over a ton. The road was slightly damp but this enabled some of us to get the back end out at the Gooseneck hairpin.

Another day saw us tackling the Druidale trail: a single track tarmac road used in the Manx Rally that winds its way up and down through the centre of the island. Although quite bumpy and populated by a few reckless sheep it was possible to imagine what it would be like driving an actual tarmac rally stage. Speeds were somewhat lower than on the TT circuit but you could still do ~70 mph in places.

The rest of the 5 days was spent driving all over the island on mostly deserted roads, social events in the evening (Barry Cryer, bowls & dinner dance) and spirited Scoob convoy drives and meets organised by the Manx Scoobs.

Coming from the overcrowded, speed camera full and relatively flat south of England the Manx roads are a revelation. We drove fast but sensibly taking care not to annoy the other Manx motorists. We all enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and most of us are planning to come back next year.

Come on you lot, how about more of you coming next year.

Old 23 September 2003, 10:03 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you had a good time. Great place - been to the last 13TTs. My favourite day of the year is Mad Sunday Manx Rally is a top weekend as well.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 23 September 2003, 10:46 PM
Bob Fuller
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lemmy, come on then who are you, niether Angela nor I can place you? What were you driving?

What a great trip though, shame the rest were WIMPS!!!!!!!

Bob & Angela Fuller
P1 FUL
Old 23 September 2003, 10:53 PM
ASTiMAN
Scooby Regular

Would have liked to have joined you, being a local boy, except I threw a rod on my Type R V5 9 months ago and the car is still under 2.33 litre big power build (not long now though!). Saw lot's of Scoobs, but wasn't aware this was going on. The mountain section of the TT course is good though - I got held up by a Fireblade last year on Mad Sunday, but managed to pull 140mph on the mountain mile (uphill section) with the 3 TT homestayers enjoying every minute!!
See you next time.

Regards
Andrew
Old 23 September 2003, 11:22 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Bob

If you two are who we think you are then we were sat next to you and helping ourselves to your expensive wine on table 8

Alan and Gina

Cheers for the wine.