Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STI8 PPP or Evo VIII?

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2003, 11:01 PM
Mr Merciless
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess you guys have covered this before and will probably put it down to personal preference.

But can anyone give me any pros/cons for or against buying one or the other?

I personally prefer the look of the Scoob.
Old 18 September 2003, 11:06 PM
AndyBrew
Scooby Regular

Scooby looks better inside and out, the Mitsi drives better inside and out, however you need to be able to drive to really appreciate the difference!

I can't so, I bought the Scoob, because its cheaper, looks better, sounds better and I could have the one I wanted within a week

Old 19 September 2003, 12:07 AM
T.J
Scooby Regular

MM,

I had a classic for 4 1/2 years until recently..brilliant car after decat/tek updates. Was going to trade in for a newer version but slow ugly bugeeye followed by blobeye put me off. The scoop on the latest model is very tacky IMHO.

Not much difference in straight line performance but handling is a different story..in favour of the evo as virtually all car mags will confirm. If you want one quickly buy the scoob...you can get one in a week. EVO will take 2-4 weeks!

Another choice would be a Scooby Spec 'C' : one very special car , if Subaru UK imported it I may well have bought one and sod the looks. ...I pick up my FQ300 tomorrow so thats my choice!

TJ
Old 19 September 2003, 12:24 AM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

I dont like the fairy queen 300, its just the name.
Old 19 September 2003, 12:38 AM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stands for fookin quick, apparently.
Old 19 September 2003, 06:22 AM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

And it is apparently
Old 19 September 2003, 07:06 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

The motoring mags and programmes, say the Evo is quicker, (slightly) but they would all choose the STI to go home in, must say something. Also I noticed that Evo owners dont seem to keep them long, where as Subaru owners tend to keep their motors, that must say something too! Perhaps it has something to do with the ever increasing Evo V11, Evo V111, Evo ix etc up everyu year, must have the latest perhaps?
STEVE..........................
Old 19 September 2003, 07:59 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

not that Subaru are facelifting the 04 model
Old 19 September 2003, 09:04 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Went through same dilemma in August. Ended up with STi8 PPP, 18" FF7 in black, Privacy glass rear windows for the following reasons.

1.Had an STi7 in blue and the trade in was much better from Subaru

2.Local mitsi dealer is a muppet and has just become Ralliart dealer. Wondered if mine would be the only Evo serviced by them and henced ragged by their spotty mechanic.

3.As 2, didn't know anything about the car wheras Subaru were genuine enthusiasts.

4.Service intervals are 4500 miles on the mitsi, although not a cost problem, a royal pain in the ***.

5.No tracker or stereo, added more cost.

6.The MLR guys slate Mitsi all the time and tend to use independants. None that close to me.

7.Trade in - Unless I want another EVO, and they are only making up to EVO 10 IIRC, I may have trouble shifting unless I sell privately. The Subaru is more a mainstream model.

8.Everyone I asked an opinion of preferred the looks of the Subaru.

9.Insurance costs were more for the EVO.

10.The noise

Think that about covers it

PS - The EVO is a lovely car, and if you choose it anmd are happy with your reasons for doing so you won't be disappointed. I must admit I regret not buying an EVO 6 when they were new.
Old 19 September 2003, 09:08 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just for you info, after two Classic Scoobs (1994 WRX Import and 1997 UK Turbo) I have gone for the Evo 6.

If I was in your position I would go for the Subaru, as the Evo 7 & 8 look a little bit tame compared to my Evo 6.

Just my opinion - both are great cars and it is very dificult to choose.
Old 19 September 2003, 09:09 AM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Gotta be the scoob for looks and recognition ......gotta be the mitsi for driveability ....unless of course you buy a spec C and then you the scoob wins in all areas
Old 19 September 2003, 10:13 AM
whiteyisback
Scooby Regular

2 good friends of mine own evo's (6 and 7) and compared to my new wrx they're different machines with a focus on different abilities, in a nutshell both the scooby and the evo score highly, just in different areas. The evo's seem slightly more focused on the driving experience and less focused on everything else, as in: build quality, noise, refinement, servicing, reliability (both cars frequently go wrong). I have to say though that if you spend in the region of £200 on some simple suspension mods (geometry, springs, etc) on your scoob then you get all the pluses of owning a scoob (build quality, etc) AND handling that'll keep up with an Evo.
Old 19 September 2003, 11:03 AM
Mr Merciless
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone, I think I'll be sticking with the Scoob.

I just hate the look of the Evo it looks so gay, alhough I know it's a beast of a car.

It's just down to personal preference I guess.
Old 19 September 2003, 12:39 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

I've never questioned the sexuality of a car, but I agree with EB that the 6 is the toughest Evo IMHO
Old 19 September 2003, 01:06 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I love the Evo VIII, but can't afford:

a) servicing
b) fuel consumption
c) insurance
d) chiropractor every month

So have just put a deposit down on the STi8. If I could afford a weekend/track car, the Evo VIII would probably be the preferred choice over the STi8.

Rgds, Alex
Old 19 September 2003, 02:06 PM
Mr Merciless
Scooby Regular

Is it that much more to insure?

And is the mpg that much different than an STI8 PPP?
Old 19 September 2003, 03:30 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

AFAIK both STi PPP and Evo VIII are group 20 insurance. Std. WRX is group 19.
Evo has slightly worse mpg, but the worst thing is the tiddly little fuel tank which gives it about a 150 mile range with mixed driving. Also I think the active yaw control system in the Evo needs the oil changing every 4500 miles. Evo is a great car, but loses out on day-to-day practicality to the scoob IMO.

Old 19 September 2003, 04:03 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Wink

MJW - I admit the size of the fuel tank on the Evo 6 and 7 is small, but I think they have remedied the "problem" with the 8.

As i have owned both cars I have to admit it is very very difficult to choose between them.

My advice is to run and own both makes once in your lifetime

PS My Evo does sound very quiet after a decatted Impreza.
Old 19 September 2003, 04:05 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

PS Insurance - the Evo is more expensive to insure DOH!
Old 19 September 2003, 04:07 PM
Hoth
Scooby Regular

The only mitshibushi I would buy is a shogun ;-)

I went to my local rallyart showroom (drove 30 miles) and :-

1. They only had one 'display' model for sale 'owned' by the boss.
2. It had done 2000 miles in 2 weeks and they wanted full RRP. Told them I'm not buying a second hand, hammered car and demanded a £3000 discount. (declined). Told to take it or leave it. I left it..
3. The rep was a complete t****r and did not know anything about the car. Ignored me most of the time.
4. Did not let me test drive it (because it would become even more worthless). Am I really going to spend £30k on a car that I have not tried ?
5. Apparently depreciation is a knightmare...

For much less I got a STI8 + PPP and (wait fot it) PARKING ACOUSTIC AID (don't laugh - you can't see much past that spoiler).
I'm afraid my first visit to mitshibushi was not a good experience.
Old 19 September 2003, 04:50 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

Well my last car was an Evo VIII & I've got a Spec C now. I'd probably prefer the VIII to a STi8 PPP, but not to the Spec C. I'll just give the disadvantages to both (which are the advantages in the other if you see what I mean IMO):

Evo has more maintenance costs (lots more - servicing is every 4.5K & almost twice as much at times, if you get a good job done with all the oils changing every time). The insurance is £600 more expensive for me than the Spec C (which in turn is more than the STi8) and it isn't as easy to drive through town as the Scoob. The turing circle is a joke, it's not great on the Scooby, but the Evo's 2.1 turns lock-to-lock makes every 3-pointer a 5 and so on! Then there's the waiting (and that applies to the Spec C as well sadly), the STi8 will be more readily available than either of them unless you get lukcy or buy nearly new.

You can't get as much power out of the Scoob as easily as the Evo when you mod it, the Evo is more of a track car than the Scoob (but not the Spec C mind), there's very few VIII's on the road - so you stand out a bit more (in the right colour - more people look at me in the blue Spec C now than they ever did in the black Evo VIII, but that was also true of my Evo VII which was in blue, so it's the colour not the car).

Now the Spec C in my opinion has the best of both worlds and with the cash you'll save on insurance and maintenance by not getting the Evo, you'll be able to buy a Spec C no problem - just my choice

Hope that helps
Old 19 September 2003, 04:56 PM
shrader
Scooby Newbie

I do agree with you Blueboy but £27k on the C Spec for a car with no dealer warranty ...thats my problem. Ive looked at Litchfileds and have often wondered about the warranty side ... whats the deal ? the C spec is the best of both worlds :O)
Old 19 September 2003, 05:41 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Smile

Notice nobody mentioned how much fuel you can put in an EVO !!!
Old 19 September 2003, 06:00 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

You didn't read the first page on this thread then ?

Old 19 September 2003, 06:09 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Dammit !!!

Well I'll think of something smart to say later

EVO 6 - Wicked (apert from fuel tank)

EVO 7 and EVO 8

Old 19 September 2003, 06:16 PM
Ralf Paris
Scooby Regular

Cant be bothered to reiterate all of the above, but will just add that i went for an STI8 PPP over the EVO. My choice and the one i would recommend. Cheers.
Old 19 September 2003, 07:31 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

>I dont like the fairy queen 300, its just the name.
ROFLMAO, class
Old 19 September 2003, 07:57 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

You get the dealer warranty from where you bought the car - in my case from Litchfields, so there is piece of mind there!

Sadly the fuel tank is smaller (50L - just smaller than the VIII), but nothing in it really.

In terms of getting the best of both words, IMO - it is Good all round car with Evo track ability (only better) and Scooby reliability & running costs, suits me!
Old 19 September 2003, 08:41 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Scooby reliability

The looks of the Evo 7 are growing on me, I would still rather have an Evo over any current Impreza for the sole reason of 'pontential' as my car would not stay standard by any means
Old 19 September 2003, 09:52 PM
Glenn_R
Scooby Regular

Smile

Drove both, loved both - two of the best cars on sale today. However, I drive nearly 20k miles a year so only one was a realistic option. STi8PPP for me

Quick Reply: STI8 PPP or Evo VIII?