Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scooby hit list!

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2003, 08:06 PM
ScoobyRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am hearing so many stories of scoobs being nicked! why are they so much in demand?
This also puts them on higher insurance, im a bit concernd about buying one as of this.
Old 16 September 2003, 08:09 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
probably hearing about it more cos this is a Subaru orientated forum

i reckon there are just as many other high performance cars being nicked as scoobs

Old 17 September 2003, 12:06 AM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

they make excellent gettaway cars, 4 doors & stupid speed. Cops have to call out the chopper to catch em. Saw one on sky news the other day, leaving the cops behind. The chopper was following.

Old 17 September 2003, 01:23 AM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

Talking

If it concerns u that much don't buy one, but havin said that, that's what u pay ur insurance for
Old 17 September 2003, 01:53 AM
Steve3drALS
Scooby Regular

I look on god konws how many other car forums and there must be 10 times the amount of stolen car reports on scoob sites than on other forums (and TBH i personaly know of more scoobs stolen than other cars).

But i think the reason is there is a LOT of scoobs, more than any other performance car in the UK (or at least round here) by far, must be over 10:1 compared to any other marque, so hearing about more stolen is to be expected i guess.

Then again them being the most common performance car on the road by a long long stretch would put me off buying one far more than the fact they often stolen.

(BTW theres probably nearly as many Saxo VTRs around, but i said PERFORMANCE, lol)
Old 17 September 2003, 08:49 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Go on the ffoc.co.uk site, plenty of other cars stolen. The main problem is people like you scare mongering and putting people off buying them.

Several cars have been stolen from around here in the last couple of months, five of them were Golf TDi's FFS, 2 BMW TD's a Focus, no Impreza's though.

As a community of Subaru enthusiasts, well some of us are, others just here to slate the marque, we get to find out about most of the stolen one's. Of the thousands of Impreza's in the country, we are talking of only a small proportion that actually get stolen.

Old 17 September 2003, 09:04 AM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

Dont worry, If somebody tries to steal a scoob you'd hear it being started !

New scoobs have thatcham 1 and trackstar as standard ( well the sti does ) So I would think that would deter most lowlife scum and I think a lot of security is common sense. For example I park mine in such a way that if anybody took mine they would have to reverse out and reverse turn, probably doesnt sound like much but it buys me a few more seconds and as I said, Id hear it being started.

End of the day, you could go crazy worrying about it, but its what we pay insurance for. Relax and chill m8.
Old 17 September 2003, 10:03 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

The problem with too much security is that you might get beaten for your keys in your own home, or somehting like that
Old 17 September 2003, 10:22 AM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

so get a black jax.
I've only just got my Type RA (this saturday) so I have a very healthy dose of paranoia right about now.
I park it in the warehouse at work, and the garage at home.
It has a Good quality Cat1 alarm/Immob along with Black Jax. So even if someone Does get your keys, they still wont be able to drive away your pride and joy, well at least not very far anyway.
I too was reading all the horror stories of car jackings, House breakins and stolen scoobs. Add to that the number of stories about big ends going bang, and that makes for one hell of a nervous purchase.
In the end, I still bought it, because its plains silly not to buy something just because it might get nicked! I still bought loads of hi-fi equipment even though it would get nicked if we had a break in. same principle. As for the big end going, its down to the fact you're reading a concentrated minority in one place, if poeple posted "Drove to work and the big ends still intact" or "got up this morning and its still there" you'd soo see the difference.
Stick some good quality security on it, get a Barrier deadlock fitted (so far undefeated), and if you're feeling really paranoid, a tracker.
it'll be fine, just use you head about where you leave it!

now go and buy one!

/2ob
Old 17 September 2003, 02:05 PM
MatteeGee
Scooby Regular

Well said.
Old 17 September 2003, 03:18 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Everytime you park it up just take the wheels off and lock them indoors.
Old 17 September 2003, 03:25 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

In the Tracker magazine it listed how many cars were stolen and recovered sorted by manufacturer.

Now I would say a high percentage of scoobs have trackers fitted compared to other cars, unfortunatly they didnt do a % of total numbers of cars.

But subaru was very low down the list BMW and Merc were at the top if I remember right, so I dont think you have any more chance of having your subaru nicked than buying an executive saloon. You probably just think you have. I reckon you have more chance of having a shogun or x5 nicked than a scoob.

Buy one and protect it as best you can, Tracker & Blackjax, and make sure it is insured correctly then enjoy, afterall thats what insurance is for.
Old 17 September 2003, 04:18 PM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of the scare factor is unfortunately from scoobynet.
it does seem like everytime i come back for a browse there's another couple of threads about cars being nicked.
but when you look at the number of people on the board compared to the number of threads about nicked cars, it puts it right back in perspective.
30000 members vs 2 or 3 threads about nicked cars.
now obviously, not all 30000 members have scoobs, but then not all scoob owners will be on scoobynet either.
so i reckon its probably an even smaller % getting nicked when compared to overall ownership.

blackjax is a pain in the ****, but i think its worth it.

/2ob

Old 17 September 2003, 04:28 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
think you will find that more than 3 people on this bbs have had subarus stolen.
Old 17 September 2003, 04:30 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

That seems like a good point, well mande neurons. And a lot of the stolen scooby reports are "my mates scooby stolen", or "a garage down the road has had a subaru stolen". Which is an even bigger field of people if we all post for our mates.
Old 17 September 2003, 05:19 PM
Muncher
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mine was stolen about a year ago in Leeds (a nice part) whilst visiting a mate. This was a break into the house and threaten me for the keys whilst holding a big bat style of job. I didn't resist.

15 other Scoobies had been stolen from the Leeds area in 1 month according the CID guy who was there. Even if there were 1000 Imprezas in the area of Leeds that is still a figure of 1.5% of them going each month :O

On the bright side there is a trial going on at the moment in the Leeds Crown court that involves a large number of people who are to be punished for the theft of around 50 performance cars in the Leeds area. One of those cars was mine. I can't get any details of what happened to the cars yet but I will find out when the trial finishes.

I do know that this was a large organised operation involved in the theft of mine and other cars.

All of the cars stolen involved breaking into the house and getting the keys.

I can only hope that the people involved get a long time in prison for what they have done. I am looking into the possibilty of trying to get some compensation for myself as I lost a considerable amount of money due to the theft of my car, mostly due to having to fund the costs of a hire car whilst the insurance company took 3 months to pay out.

I guess my point is that you should really not assume that it could never happen to you, so be prepared.

My other point is to read the insurance fine print carefully. My car had numereous expensive mods done to it that I only got 2nd hand value for from the insurance company. My insurance would also only give me a hire car if the car was found and for the duration of the repairs (the car was never found).

Muncher
Old 17 September 2003, 05:54 PM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

the point about 2 or 3 threads was each time you look you seem to see 2 or 3 new threads, not in total. Im not daft enough to believe only 3 scoobs have been taken!
Expensive cars will be a target whatever the make, as the courtcase will probably show. Sorry to hear about your car.
hope they hang the w@nkers.
With all the security in the world, if someone wants to take your car bad enough, and the have the tools/skill to do it, they will. Not sure 'skill' is the right word where violence is used to get the keys though.
However, the people that fit in that category luckily seem to be very few and far between.
Allowing the thought of a vehicles theft to prevent ownership is the wrong way of looking at this. there's risk to everything you purchase/own, using common sense to mitigate the risk is the way to achieve piece of mind with ownership.
Fit the best security you can afford. Fit a black Jax. Add physical security preferably a Dipol/Barrier deadlock or a disklok. Fit security film, and De-Lock. Keep it garaged if possible, and have a garage Door Floor Lock. and keep the keys to the garage and the floor lock separate and away from the keys to the car. having a house alarm including the garage is a good idea. When out leave you car in well lit very public places, preferably in secure parking if possible. If you're followed drive to a cop station, not home. Use common sense at all times, and you and your car should be relatively safe. As you can see my healthy dose of paranoia is still there, but it hasnt stopped me getting my Type RA. If they're that determined to take your car after all that, nothing short of a 24hr police guard would stop them.

now go on, and buy one

/2ob

/2ob
Old 17 September 2003, 08:14 PM
T-1000
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have owned my MY03 WRX for 5 days. I too was very paranoid about buying one cause of theft but in the end I thought F##k it. BEST DECISION of my life an awesome car and well worth any worry and the money.

P.S. Im still paranoid. Sleep with window open and keep looking to see if my baby is ok. Hopefully I will get some sleep soon!
Old 17 September 2003, 08:32 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

I too read all the posts about stolen cars, and like you became concerned about owning something that was so likely to be stolen. However, as dead_neurons points out, these events are relatively rare, and if you follow the common sense tips he gives, it's unlikely it will ever happen to you. Also, as T-1000 points out, why should you have the way you live your life dictated by a bunch of low-life scumbags. I took delivery of my WRX 2 weeks ago, and it's the most fun I've had in a long time. Buy the car and enjoy it!

[Edited by dr_ming - 9/17/2003 8:33:29 PM]
Old 17 September 2003, 09:16 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

I have just recently brought my 94 WRX RA, which was a bit of a change from the Landrover I had swapped for it. I'm insured with the NFU, and have a very comprehensive cover, when I changed to the beast I had to pay another £30 pa more, making a total of £430.00 per year.
Old 18 September 2003, 11:49 AM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

NFU?
im currently with L&V paying ~£800pa on MY98 WRX STI Type RA

what/who is the NFU?

and do i have to be a farmer to get insurance with em? LOL

/2ob
Old 18 September 2003, 12:01 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

you have to join but you dont have to be a farmer, used to be stupidly cheap, not so anymore i believe
Old 18 September 2003, 12:28 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

These were taken from the 2002 Tracker figures:

Total value of recovered vehicles: £31,842,350

'Top' brands:
BMW £8,370,850
Mercedes £6,363,500
Porsche £2,908,000
Audi £2,486,500
Ford £1,292,500
Jaguar £1,043,000
(Subaru came in at £768,000)

'Top' Areas
London £7,835,000
West Mids £3,063,000
West Yorks £1,984,500
Gt Manc £1,974,500
Essex £1,774,000
Kent £1,556,500
Old 18 September 2003, 02:36 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

i did remember the top 2 hey im suprised i normally cant remember what i had for breakfast
Old 18 September 2003, 03:31 PM
Muncher
Scooby Regular

If you are looking for the most roportionately stolen car then this list is a bit misleading by using value of a car, nor does it tell you how many cars that are on the road from each manufacturer.

[Edited by Muncher - 9/18/2003 3:44:41 PM]