Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X5 nearly wiped me out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2003, 01:00 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I'd tell you all about my near miss with a 2 tonne missile!

I was pootling along, minding my own business when I stopped at a red light, and alongside pulls the big black X5 with tints and huge wheels etc. It was the 4.4 litre one which I believe is around 300 bhp(?) I could just make out the woman driver behind her (illegal) tints!

The lights go green and I pull off normally, but the X5 driver decides to floor it, so I took the bait!

I too floored it, and never realised that the big powerful jeeps could put the power down so well. It was pretty even in first, so I gave it some more and took the lead, at which point I was about half a car length in front, and she starts to swerve over into me to avoid an obstruction in her lane!

**** ME!!!!!

$hit, brake hard, swerve to left, the ABS kicks in and I manage to avoid her hitting me, at which point she flies past me like I'm standing still, in the middle of the two lanes like a ******* juggernaut!!!!

Christ, what a bloody nutter!

Since a nice light hearted joust had went a bit belly-up, I decided to tell her I thought she was a psycho, but she just gave me verbal, so I fcuked off.

Now I should say that I don't condone racing, and perhaps it was a bit silly, but I did take the bait, and won't do it again.

I can't help thinking that if it were another Scooby driver for example, that they would have accepted they were beaten and allowed me right of passage in my lane, but not her!

She obviously thought "**** it, I'm having you" and she nearly did.

The worst thing is, that had we collided it would have been bump for bump, and I would be well and truly fcuked!

We live and learn!

Saga over!

Old 16 September 2003, 01:10 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Bump for bump - bollocks, she swerved into your lane - cant see that one being argued as 50/50!
Old 16 September 2003, 01:16 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
You can usually tell when some t055er like that wants to try it on-either go for it and blow them into the weeds (I reckon you could take an unmodifed X5) or don't bother at all. The problem happened as you let her get the jump on you.

Personally I wouldn't bother with an X5 the people that tend to drive them are to far beneath me to bother.
Old 16 September 2003, 01:18 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
For anyone interested here are the specs on the top of the range X5

BMW - X5 4.6iS

It boasts an extra 221cc over the existing 4.4i, an extra 61bhp, more torque, bigger brakes and vast 20in wheels. Its huge weight won't stop it hitting 62mph in 6.5secs and 150mph max.

I think most Imprezas will better 6.5 secs- mine does by a full second.

Old 16 September 2003, 01:21 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Bump for bump - bollocks, she swerved into your lane - cant see that one being argued as 50/50!
Now I'm not an insurance broker, but I'm pretty sure than in circumstances like these where 2 cars are driving alongside one another and one hits the other, it is bump for bump.

This is due to the fact that I was alone in my car, and she was alone also. No witnesses, my word against hers.... Bump for bump IMHO.

I would have no way of proving that she did what she did. She could have said that I hit her. How could I prove otherwise?

Perhaps any insurance types could advise?

[Edited by talizman - 9/16/2003 1:22:49 PM]
Old 16 September 2003, 01:52 PM
Diablo007
Scooby Regular

Had a go against one of those Porsche Cayennes the other day must admit they go a lot better than I thought for such a brick! Still reeled it in pretty quick mind, but was impressed ! not a traffic light dragrace just a short country road run.
Old 27 October 2003, 01:37 PM
Wilster
Scooby Regular

I had similar the other day with a Clio 172, bird at the wheel. I thought, there's no way she's gonna take me on. So I hesitated at the moment of truth thinking "If I'm gonna floor it and she doesn't I'll look stupid" (She was quite fit!!) So my Scoob squirted along in first missing boost completely while she took off. Different story at the next set of lights however....
Old 27 October 2003, 01:48 PM
Luke
BANNED

Good for her!!!!!!

bet she's great in bed.
Old 27 October 2003, 02:09 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

if your racing, u cant winge if it goes **** up
Old 27 October 2003, 02:25 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've noticed resently that there seems to be more aggresive woman on the road driving faster cars and taking more risks, I thought it was weird really as most men have a reasonably high testosterone count and any type of challenge is seen as a must to us men, of course i'm not trying to be sid the sexist here and do realise that woman should'nt all be at home looking after the kids and cooking and cleaning waiting upon the man of the household and only permitted to driving people carriers

Although testosterone is known as the male hormone, women also naturally produce significant quantities and modern science now offers woman testosterone implants which significantly boost there confidence level making them a more challenging creature. Although Doctors beleive that they can produce side effects such as such as acne and an increase in facial hair, So the question is did the woman driving the X5 have a spotty face and a furry chin , maybe you could'nt tell because of the window tints :P

Maddy
Old 27 October 2003, 02:36 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
must be something to do with beamers - had a pratt in a 3 series this morning cut across in front of me.
Old 27 October 2003, 02:40 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

FWIW, I have had more (and worse) road-rage from women drivers than men. Tend to be middle-aged menopausal types driving Volvos...
Old 27 October 2003, 02:40 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

BM's all drivers the same..turd in a 318 flashed me to move over on the motorway - cheek!
Old 27 October 2003, 02:55 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Racing is too harsh a word, but I do believe that if you are prepared to engage in "testing" your car against another, then you should be prepared to accept the consequences of the actions (yours or the other driver).

But I have come across X5 drivers who believe having a lot of power means they have a right to the road they are on and to do what they hell they like. What those rights are god only knows.

Sometimes I think people shouldn't be given too much power (and that includes me occasionally when I've done something silly).
Old 27 October 2003, 03:09 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the term 'racing' is open to interpretation and would come down to a court case.

If you had crashed, then I'm pretty sure she'd blame you and it would be down to the insurers who was to blame. A long complicated battle would ensue.

If they were witnesses to the accident, then people could go either way. They may say you were both racing, but it was her fault. Either way, the police may decide to prosecute with dangerous driving or undue car & attention. Then you might face a day in court

The problem with accidents is you need witnesses and a clear cut standing. An accident like that would not turn out well no matter what IMHO.

A few of us got pulled doing 120+ about a year ago. It was late in the evening and we were just having a blast down to a service station. All light hearted and no dangerous driving i.e. little traffic and plenty of gaps between cars. Obviously the only legality was the fact that we were well over the speed limit.

Cops were very nice given the circumstances. A got the brunt of the bollocking while the others hid like we girlies

Anyway, the cops said they could easily have reported us to the Proceurator Fiscal for 'racing' and that it would be down to us to defend the accusation in court.

So, moral of the story is be very careful. You may think it's clear cut, but if they can do you both and make an example to avoid thesse situations they will.

Stefan
Old 27 October 2003, 03:17 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

maybe she wasn't racing? Maybe she wanted to get ahead to pull over because of the obstruction? Surely she must have been able to see it from that height!?
Old 27 October 2003, 03:29 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Angry

Did you get the Reg number, cos' an X5 nearly had me the other night, roundabout Junction 4 on M3, the reg number of this loon
was 'R5 ROD', went thru a red light at about 70 then cut across 3 lanes to get where he/she was going !, if anyone had been in the way they would have been killed. !!! Bl**dy nutter !!, either that or it was stolen.

Ian..
Old 27 October 2003, 03:36 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Had TT jump a red light on a roundabout I just started to cross last night on the north circular - b*****d.

Anyhow - more aggressive women drivers, I would agree, if you see an '02 Blue/Black GX wagon - keep your distance, its my other half and shes mad!
Old 27 October 2003, 04:14 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't you just love women with *****!!(not the hairy ones)

Talizman you're a disgrace for:

a) Letting her stuff you.
b) Shouting at her when she did.

Fair play to the wench, I would have admired her skinning tactics.

I bet you won't let it happen next time.
Old 27 October 2003, 04:21 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the replies guys.

Wilster,
I had similar the other day with a Clio 172, bird at the wheel. I thought, there's no way she's gonna take me on.
I thought for a minute that this might have been my missus, then I saw that you are from Birmingham! lol She drives a Clio CUp and takes on most things like a nutter!

ozzy,
the police may decide to prosecute with dangerous driving or undue car & attention. Then you might face a day in court
No charges could be preferred in either direction, as whether it came down to her blaming me or me blaming her, neither allegation had corroboration.

mrklaw,
maybe she wasn't racing? Maybe she wanted to get ahead to pull over because of the obstruction? Surely she must have been able to see it from that height!?
I don't think she could have seen the obstruction from her view point, as she was looking in her rear view mirror sorting her lippy!

Seriously though... she obviously knows very little about cars (especially Scoobs) and must have thought "I'm going to have him" referring to me.
She was well aware of the obstruction ahead and chose her lane with this in full view, obviously with the intention of smoking me and getting in front of all the other traffic like a smartass.

For this reason I thought, no, you aren't going to take the **** in your big show-off ride and deliberately tried to block her out, rightly or wrongly.

I'll think twice about it in the future as she had much less regard than me for the consequences....
Old 27 October 2003, 04:22 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

My bird likes a "play" with the Scoobs (she has a Renault Clio 172) - but she knows she'll loose most of the time as she has driven my 03 WRX quite a bit .......
Having said that she has excellent car control skills and is not dangerous!

I think the bint in the X5 assumed (assumption makes and *** out of you and me) that she had blown you away and simply didn't look!
Old 27 October 2003, 06:06 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Mad Mark, I think you have hit the nail right on the head mate.

She blasted off and obviously expected me to be somewhere in her slipstream therefore she began to move out without even considering that I was level with her and in the process of overtaking her.....
Old 27 October 2003, 06:42 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"at which point I was about half a car length in front, and she starts to swerve over into me to avoid an obstruction in her lane!"

lol- really? so you were ahead of her? your drivers door level with her front bumper? and she drove at you?.....you sure you werent caught of guard, she was in front and moved accross???
Old 27 October 2003, 06:59 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Yeah Tiggs, you are right, hands up, my 260bhp Scoob was being beaten off the mark by a 3 tonne barge.
Old 27 October 2003, 07:54 PM
Chungster
Scooby Regular

"Did you get the Reg number, cos' an X5 nearly had me the other night, roundabout Junction 4 on M3, the reg number of this loon
was 'R5 ROD', went thru a red light at about 70 then cut across 3 lanes to get where he/she was going !, if anyone had been in the way they would have been killed. !!! Bl**dy nutter !!, either that or it was stolen."

Are you sure that was the reg Ian?

That is my mate Rodney's personal numberplate. He's had it on his Silver Mk4 Golf for 5 years. He is about to sell the car, but he hasn't said anything about getting an X5! He was thinking of the VW Toureg though. Will check to make sure it wasn't him. He's a pretty sensible driver.

Lee

Old 27 October 2003, 07:55 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Ok, let's start this again.

You said she had the drop on you because you didn't want to go off first incase she pulled away normally and you'd look silly.

My guess is if she did then you were almost finished.

Figures on paper are far different from reality as I'm sure you know.

Plant that big power auto to the floor and if you aren't ready then it'll be game over in that short space of time.

You then say you were ahead when she decided to cut in.

If so, I can't believe she didn't know you were there if you were ahead.

Either way, you played safe and pulled up allowing her the gap.

I had a similar thing happen to me with a girl in a Z4. She went off quickly, I half heartedly pulled away which turned to a more serious attempt but hey, she was gone.

She filtered into my lane within about 250 yards, roof down and sporting a huge smile in her rear view mirror.
Old 27 October 2003, 08:45 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

I posted something about X5 drivers a while back, they seem to think that they can do what they like as they have a little bit of grunt and feel protected sitting so high up.

Possibly some of the worst drivers on the road at the moment and to be avoided at all costs - they have taken BMW arrogance to the extreme, personally I'd take away their keys and drop them down the nearest drain and do all motorists a favour.

Encountered a couple of those silly Porsche Cayennes too up London, they seem to have the same affliction.
Old 27 October 2003, 09:38 PM
Wilster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Talizman, he he next time I'll drop the winder and get her phone number

Wilster.
Old 28 October 2003, 09:25 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Question

Lee,
I'm pretty certain that was the reg, (it's stuck in my mind since, cos' I'll be looking for it !!). It was dark however, so there might have been some trickery going on with the number plate screws eg R5 RCD, but I'm pretty sure it was as stated.
Would be interested to know though !

Ian..
Old 28 October 2003, 09:32 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Wink

Moral of the story- if you see an X5 treat it as though it is the enemy without further evidence and blow it into the weeds.

Quick Reply: X5 nearly wiped me out!!!