Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i change the air filter without affecting the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2003, 03:09 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies for these (probable) stupid questions, but im just keen to learn what i can and cant do to the car without destroying the warranty as three is still over 2 1/2 years to go on it! If this is possible without ruining the warranty what do people recommend? and is it easy? Ive never done anything under the bonnet of a car in my life other than check the dipstick (which is what i feel like at the moment)

If someone tells me that i cant make any 3rd party modifcations without voiding the warranty then say and ill stop clogging up this fine board we have here!!

Cheers,
Neil
Old 04 September 2003, 03:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way to modify your car AND keep your warranty is to stick to the 'official' upgrades sold by your Dealer. That will amount to whatever Prodrive pumps out for your model/year.

According to EU law though as a consumer you are entitled to fit parts which are of the same or better standard, but Subaru have the upperhand and will no doubt refuse a claim if they find any 3rd-party parts. Then it would be up to you to fight them in court and no doubt this will take donkeys and cost you more than your cars worth.

They have you by the short 'n curlies I'm afraid.

Stefan
Old 04 September 2003, 03:46 PM
flat4 en Eivissa
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

don´t tell them, change it back for services etc.

kev
Old 04 September 2003, 03:50 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well that's one option. Depends on the Dealer really. Mine has always been aware of any mods and been fine to claim if they know it hasn't affected it directly. e.g. the fact I have Eibach springs didn't (and shouldn't have) affect my claim for a faulty O2 sensor.

Best advice is to ask the Dealer. If they're happy go with it. If not you take your chances.

Biggest risk is if something severe goes wrong as you may not have the option to remove the bits beforehand. Certainly not telling your insurance would be a big no-no, especially if you have a bad accident and are in Hospital. Not much chance of you removing any mods then.

Stefan
Old 04 September 2003, 03:58 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Also depends on what info the ECU keeps. i.e. if you put in different air filter, I assume the ECU can tell that more/less/cleaner/dirtier air is coming through and adjust or log accordingly. When it comes to warranty claim (I doubt they check thouroughly at servicing) you can bet they'll have a good look at the ECU to find out if unusual stuff is going on regardless of whether or not you put the original part back on.

Basically more technically minded people here will tell you if a) the ECU stores this sort of stuff and b) if a mechanic could tell anyway regardless of what the ECU says.

Anyway until you KNOW, then I'd leave the original on to keep the warranty valid.
Old 04 September 2003, 04:51 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, all useful replies. I shall be dilligent!